My case v Barclays

Geraintheath
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6522 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sent off my DPA letter on Thursday last week and got all of my statements already, along with my £10 cheque! Is this the being nice stops?

Just gone through them all and reckon I've been charged £1045. Now here's my dullard question. Since I've been overdrawn forever all of these fees have accrued interest. How do I work this out and can I, I believe so from reading the FAQs, claim it back?

Good luck everyone else

Hiya

There is an excel spreadsheet here : http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=182

this will work out your interest at 8% (which small claims courts allow) per day on the charges, however, if like me you consider the bank has 'borrowed' your money without your consent, then you could try to add a nominal interest rate of your own on top of this and add that to your claim. banks charge between 14% and 29% on loans. check how much your bank charges and do likewise, if you feel lucky, otherwise just use the spreadsheet.

TIP: if you select the cells in the spreadsheet and copy/paste below the example, the formula's automatically update to refer to the cell they are in, use the option 'insert copied cells' and tick the box to 'shift cells down' this keeps the formula's and totals intact.

You may need to do this depending on the number of entries you need to put in the spreadsheet.

Rebel

vs Barclays Bank plc - £1670+interest @ 8% + Costs Concluded 24th June 06 - 5% donation sent

vs Bank of Scotland - £2226.42+interest @ 8% + Costs SETTLED IN FULL 6th Aug INCLUDING 8% pre court.

Thanks for the tips rebel uk.

I'm not going all medieval on them and charging them a rate for borrowing my money as I have an overdraft and it's not really my money to lend them, if that makes any sense!?

However, I'm still not clear on how on Earth I can calculate how much of the interest they have charged me on my overdraft over the years is down to these unfair fees.

Anyone able to help?

The 8% apr is only applicable once you have sent the initial letter and have then issued a claim against them, n'est pas?

Ok, from what I've seen so far:

1) Barclays seem to be offering 33-50% of claim after the first letter.

2) Those who fight it and are claiming relatively small amounts

3) Those claiming higher amounts are not getting such quick resolutions

If the mods don't mind...can we find out who has got back what, at what date and at what stage?

I'm about to send off a claim for £1040+interest after having received my statements through the DPA letter for free.

Could I make a suugestion based on Richard's answer - there are quite a few surveys going, and they tend to reflect 'work in progress' for various issues. My suggestion is that there is a whole new folder for surveys...and all existing threads get pulled into it...some of them are becoming hard to locate now...thanks.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Sent my initial letter to my local branch requesting 6 years worth of statements, as I didn't have a complete set, and a £10 cheque.

5 days later my statements, my £10 cheque, a large paper clip and a nice letter saying 'there is no charge for this service'. Kind of making a mockery of no charge for 250-300 sheets of paper when they charge me £25 everytime I go over my limit - even when they don't send me a letter!!

I've calcualted they owe me £1040 plus interest. I've no way of working out how much of my o/d interest is down to the penalty charges as I can't find the different tiers they charge at and when they applied.

Posted the request for the money last Thursday giving them 14 days to pay-up, I also detailed that I will retain the right for the interest accrued due to penalty charges.

Had a nice letter from them this morning with the usual spiel informing me it would take upto 28 days to deal with my complaint. It's my complaint, so that 28 days means nothing to me...if I don't have a positive response by Monday 25th then it's small claims time.

Guess I should expect an offer of £400-£500 next week?

• 2 weeks later...

No further reply from Barclays so LBA will be on it's way tomorrow.

Still unclear on how to work out the o/d interest on the penalty fees, do I need to detail this now or just acknowledge that I am seeking it? Slightly concerned in the lack of cases resolved. Pretty sure it will just be a matter of time as there seems to be a large amount of cases pending.

Yes deadlines are approaching now for some of the cases, so we should have some positive results.

Work out the amount of interest you are claiming by using the Interest Spreadsheet.

Then include the relevant statement that you are also seeking interest of £x.

Barclays - £4k - Hearing Date 19th Sept 06

Smile - £370 - Refunded in Full

Capitla One - £100 LBA 25/5

Virgin ? Data Protection Act 25/5

They're really taking the p!ss now. I'm sure that £10 over the o/d limit incurred a £25 penalty. Just been sent a letter charging me £30 for going £5 over. Swear I haven't been informed of the change!? Anyone else noticed this? Horribly crass considering! Not sure whether I should phone-up and demand a full refund of this penalty charge or just add it onto the £1300+ they owe me!?

They put their charges up earlier this year, funny they didnt advertise this?? I wonder why they didnt?

Barclays - £4k - Hearing Date 19th Sept 06

Smile - £370 - Refunded in Full

Capitla One - £100 LBA 25/5

Virgin ? Data Protection Act 25/5

I went in today on another matter and asked about this. I was told by an advisor that this had been mentioned on my statements. Will look hard for those little gems but genuinely have never noticed them. Guess I'll get it back sometime but certainly not helping today...

...looks like there are a lot of people from Plymouth on this site due to the publicity it has attracted in the local media, so has anyone else been 'done' by the city council today?

I did'nt get paid and will not until Tuesday morning!! Skint all bank hol now and have missed DD payment so yet another penalty charge. The cheeky , sorry lying, sh!t on the phone told me that banks had been contacted and would extend o/d's, not charge you fees etc... . I now have another black mark against my credit rating and had to walk 5 miles to work today thanks to some useless tw@t who missed the pay deadline. They even had the nerve to try and apease me by saying 'we haven't been paid either!'...I DON'T CARE! They will apparently pay all penalty charges back to me so, but doesn't help today and certainly doesn't help my credit score. Any ideas on how to deal with these @ssholes!?

What does your employment contract state regarding dates of salary payment?

If it specifies a particular day or date in each month and they have failed to adhere to this then they are in breech of contract. You should sue for damages- bank charges, incovenince over bank holiday weekend including any consequential losses.

Heard this on the news, today.

Apparently HBSC had a major meltdown of the system computers and so were unable to accept or process any BACS transactions. It is anticipated that the problem will be rectified by Tuesday.

Full story at......

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2114750/experts-question-hsbc-outage-claims?vnu_lt=vnu_art_related_articles

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Received a very typical letter from Dave Chapman offering me £425.00 full and final. Normal spiel with T&Cs and disagreeing with my view etc, but also interestingly...

"This is with the cost and inconvenience inherent in a further dispute in mind and is intended as a gesture of goodwill"

I'd been quite patient with them and actually didn't send my LBA off, as stated previously. With cases looming for about 4 or 5 others I was playing a bit of a waiting game. They must be just stalling, as mentioned by OBLong in another thread, they can't know something no-one else does!?

LBA will be sent this afternoon.

Guest Lueeze

Threads merged, please stay on this one if it is to do with your Barclays diary.

Thanks

Louise

Gearintheath

""This is with the cost and inconvenience inherent in a further dispute in mind and is intended as a gesture of goodwill"

This is a typical legal ploy, but in fact is quite a mild one in this case. It is usually accompanied by an additional statement with words to the effect that if you don't accept this offer, they will make it clear to the court and judge that they have "been reasonable" and tried to resolve the matter without going to court, but you were unreasonable and unwilling to accept. Cheeky but that what these legal types do.

Thanks, so short-changing me around £900, not to mention the initial 'theft', is reasonable behaviour! I see. May be it's time to start bandying around "extreme stress due to financial pressure caused by your maladiministration" or "considered suicide" and go for some proper compensation!

Maybe I should ring-up and tell them I'll accept the amount with cleaning the credit record without o'd interest/costs/8%APR if they want me to settle for a reasonable amount!?

Merged threads, please keep to the same one.

• 1 month later...

Been offered £600 by some chap called Pereira. Typical bumph in the letter along with 'your view that the charges are unfair' . I don't just think they're unfair, I know they're unlawful, buffoon. MCOL will be launched at the end of next week.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6522 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks