• Tweets

• Thanks for the other info will also take a look at that.
    • It doesn't use the word reconstructed in the cover letter.  Although, I have just noticed on the cover letter they have asked me to complete a financial statement and offer a repayment within the next 10 days, or they will continue to follow court directions.  They sent a separate letter on the same day advising me they will be continuing with their claim ?  They have done the same for both claims.  Is it worth just doing that - doing the financial breakdown and offering a x amount.    
    • hahah except I can't locate the courier to frighten them with it hahaha   
    • Dx100uk according to the ICO office, who I spoke to at some length earlier today after getting the email from the court, Equita are the data controller if they have instructed the contracted EA. The ICO have noted the case, and stated very clearly that the court has the higher standing in terms of dealing with, and punishing either party if they fail to adhere to the district judges order and any action they take will not be criminal.    but they also stated very clearly that with what I’ve told them, and on the basis of accepting what I’ve told them as gospel (which it is with written confirmation from both the courts and the police) then there is some major red flags being raised on both sides with them blaming each other.    they’ve advised me to essentially keep my powder dry until there is a charging decision and an outcome from the seperate proceedings with the EAC2 complaint, and then come back to them with the case and they will be in a stronger position to act against Equita and the EA as there will be established facts and evidence that have already been laid before a court.     
    • urm.. i seem to recall another assault case whereby the approved bailiff company claimed the body camera was nor theirs but a pers one of the bailiff, i think they got in serious trouble for it. i believe that breaks certain gov't approval for a bailiff company/firm regulations/laws  if memory serves me right?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PPI claim won but company offsetting against an account they accepted a full and final offer on?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Probably a simple one.

On 07/07/2003 I took out a 2nd Welcome loan for £2451.90 (paid off some of an old loan with the new one)

Loan: £2451.90

PPI: £780.70 (told my loan would be refused if I never took it, was not applicable to me as I was self employed)

Total: £3232.60

APR: 45.1%

Period: 36 Months

Repayments: £151.50

In total I mate 19 payments of £151.50 then never paid anything after that as I got into real financial hardship, they charged me in total £450 for failed DD's, phone calls and visits to my home. I still owed them £3560

In 2008 I offered them a one time payment of £1200 in full and final settlement of the account and they accepted.

Re: Welcome Finance - Account Number: XXXXXXX

We refer to our telephone conversation on the 18th January 2008, and confirm that we have accepted the sum of £1,200.00 in full and final settlement on this account.

Earlier this year I started a claim against them for miss selling of PPI.

The short of it is they found in my favour to the tune of £2200 odd but at the end of the letter they said that I would not receive anything as the account was closed with an outstanding balance around the same amount as my PPI claim, essentially it would all be offset against that?

What's your thoughts? Can I argue that having accepted my payment as a full and final settlement then I should be entitled to my PPI refund?

Thanks

Completed:

RBOS Charges - £2435 settled in full :)

RBOS Default Removal - Removed :)

Carphone Warehouse Default Removal - Removed :)

Welcome Finance Default Removal - Removed :)

Viking Direct CCJ - Removed :)

Littlewoods Default - Removed :-o

Ongoing:

N Hunter SAR

I would certainly be challenging their actions. If they accepted a full and final payment, then where is the "outstanding balance" ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

HI

I would certainly argue so.

Was there any correspondence between you and them about the full and final, do you have any further documentary evidence that the account was settled and terminated ?

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

That's what I thought too. They were happy enough to accept this full and final payment over 5 years ago, full and final to me means just that.

Or what about this way.

I took out a loan with a total amount to pay with PPI of £5454

I paid them monthly payments totalling £2878.50 + £1200 to settle the account which = £4078.50 or 75% of the total loan had I paid every monthly payment.

So give me 75% of the £2200 of the PPI you have agreed you have mis-sold me?

Does that not make sense?

HI

I would certainly argue so.

Was there any correspondence between you and them about the full and final, do you have any further documentary evidence that the account was settled and terminated ?

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have both a letter and an email from two different people at that company stating

"We refer to our telephone conversation on the 18th January 2008, and confirm that we have accepted the sum of £1,200.00 in full and final settlement on this account."

Completed:

Ongoing:

N Hunter SAR

That's what I thought too. They were happy enough to accept this full and final payment over 5 years ago, full and final to me means just that.

Or what about this way.

I took out a loan with a total amount to pay with PPI of £5454

I paid them monthly payments totalling £2878.50 + £1200 to settle the account which = £4078.50 or 75% of the total loan had I paid every monthly payment.

So give me 75% of the £2200 of the PPI you have agreed you have mis-sold me?

Does that not make sense?

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have both a letter and an email from two different people at that company stating

"We refer to our telephone conversation on the 18th January 2008, and confirm that we have accepted the sum of £1,200.00 in full and final settlement on this account."

I would have to look up the case law but there is a right of of-sett when there is an outstanding balance on the account, but as CB says in your case there wasn't any, so any premiums you paid should be refunded to you plus your stat interest.

I would write them a letter telling them that you do not accept their decision for the above reason and then follow it up with an letter before action, personally I would go after the full sum.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

As this was only settled in early 2008 it should still be on your credit report. What does it state there ("settled", "part settled", something else)? Also do you have a copy of any letter you might have sent them with your payment of £1200 in F&F?

I wouldn't get into complicated arithmetic with them, and showing a willingness to accept less than the full amount of PPI only gives them a chink to try and open wider. Insist on them repaying you the full amount of ~£2200 as per their calculations.

Hi there, thanks for the reply actually part of the settlement agreement from me was that they removed the (defaulted) account from my credit file completely, and they did!

I have an email and a letter from them thanking me for my telephone payment and accepting it in FULL AND FINAL settlement of my account.

I'll try getting back to them first but I suspect I'm probably actually looking at the FOS for help now to be honest, I think that's what the letter stated my only recourse would be from here so at the end of the day I have to be as open as it as possible.

75% of £2200 is better than nothing and it seems to make sense to me that I paid 75% of the overall amount (even taking all their questionable charges into account) so I should, at least, be entitled to 75% of the claim for mis-sold PPi?

Completed:

Ongoing:

N Hunter SAR

They have the right to offset against anything you defaulted on, so if the amount you owed but never paid was over £2,200 they can offset the lot. If it was less you will get whatever is left over when the defaulted amount is paid off.

They have the right to offset against anything you defaulted on, so if the amount you owed but never paid was over £2,200 they can offset the lot. If it was less you will get whatever is left over when the defaulted amount is paid off.

The account was settled in full there would be no default balance.

The account was settled in full there would be no default balance.

I might have read it wrong, but the original post said the account was closed with an outstanding balance.

If the £1,200 was all that was outstanding on the loan when it was repaid then the money should go to the OP. If the loan provider accepted less than was actually owed then they can and will offset.

I might have read it wrong, but the original post said the account was closed with an outstanding balance.

If the £1,200 was all that was outstanding on the loan when it was repaid then the money should go to the OP. If the loan provider accepted less than was actually owed then they can and will offset.

The whole point of a full and final settlement is that the loan is considered to be repaid in full, if this were not the case it would be called a part settlement.

The whole point of a full and final settlement is that the loan is considered to be repaid in full, if this were not the case it would be called a part settlement.

It is not repaid in full though. They might have agreed to accept less than was owed and close the account. However, if the amount they wrote off was the same as the cost of the PPI then in effect he has not paid the PPI. Nobody is going to give you money back for something you haven't paid for.

It is not repaid in full though. They might have agreed to accept less than was owed and close the account. However, if the amount they wrote off was the same as the cost of the PPI then in effect he has not paid the PPI. Nobody is going to give you money back for something you haven't paid for.

There is much case law regarding full and final settlements and the legal implications, if you google search I am sure you will find it.

One of the ramifications of a correctly executed full and final settlement is that no further liabilities are due and payable on the account, when the payment was made the account was terminated and there was no debit balance, therefor any further sums credited to the op after this should have gone to them.

There is much case law regarding full and final settlements and the legal implications, if you google search I am sure you will find it.

One of the ramifications of a correctly executed full and final settlement is that no further liabilities are due and payable on the account, when the payment was made the account was terminated and there was no debit balance, therefor any further sums credited to the op after this should have gone to them.

There's a significant difference between agreeing not to pursue the customer for any further payments towards the loan and actually handing money over to them that they never paid.

The bank is perfectly entitled to take this stance. If they uphold the complaint they only have to refund what the OP paid for the PPI. The loan account was underpaid by more than the amount of the PPI premium. Therefore, the OP in effect never paid anything for it. FOS recognise this as well. Only in cases of serious financial hardship might they direct the lender to pay the funds to the OP directly. And beating in mind that the OP appears to have negotiated reduced settlements on his/ her debts, I would guess this doesn't apply.

There's a significant difference between agreeing not to pursue the customer for any further payments towards the loan and actually handing money over to them that they never paid.

The bank is perfectly entitled to take this stance. If they uphold the complaint they only have to refund what the OP paid for the PPI. The loan account was underpaid by more than the amount of the PPI premium. Therefore, the OP in effect never paid anything for it. FOS recognise this as well. Only in cases of serious financial hardship might they direct the lender to pay the funds to the OP directly. And beating in mind that the OP appears to have negotiated reduced settlements on his/ her debts, I would guess this doesn't apply.

I am not sure how many more ways i can say this so this will be my at attempt. the bank did not agree to stop pursuing the debtor for a consideration, they accepted a full and final settlement (according to the OP).

As another point, there's something about this case that doesn't stack up. Welcome Finance are in default and their PPI complaints are being dealt with by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. They would have issued the response. However, the OP has stated that the loan was taken in 2003. If this is the case the. It was pre regulation and hence would not be eligible for FSCS consideration.

I am not sure how many more ways i can say this so this will be my at attempt. the bank did not agree to stop pursuing the debtor for a consideration, they accepted a full and final settlement (according to the OP).

And I'm not sure how many ways I can say this (so this will also be my final attempt). However you want to dress it up, the simple fact is that the OP did not pay for the PPI. Therefore he/ she is not entitled to a refund of the money that they did not pay.

Assuming what I have said above regarding the FSCS to be true then the complaint has not been investigated by the lender but by an impartial statutory compensation scheme. They have no motive to be unfair about it. If they have not paid the money to the OP if is because he/she is not entitled to it.

Let's just wait and see hey. Nice debating with you.

I'm with the majority on this one in that much will depend on the precise nature of the F&F. I think it is worth chasing them for the refund on the basis that they agreed a deal and now want to renege on that deal because it now no longer suits them. Tough luck on them.

I don't see how mention of Welcome being in default is relevant here since the event was pre 2005 which makes Welcome liable themselves and not the FSCS.

This is the point. Welcome has gone bust. Kaput. It doesn't exist as a company anymore. It was deregistred with companies house in June 2011. Therefore it cannot meet its own liabilities, which is why the FSCS is dealing with its PPI complaints. It's not a case of the FSCS being "liable". It's a case of them dealing with the matter as Welcome no longer exists.

If the information in the opening post is accurate then the FSCS wouldn't be able to consider the complaint as it is pre- 2005. Therefore, the OP would be totally stuffed as he/she wouldn have nobody to complain to let alone get a decision letter. Hence my reason for querying it.

Hortz, I believe you are mistaken. Welcome does still exist. From the Companies House website:

Name & Registered Office:

WELCOME FINANCIAL SERVICES LIMITED

KINGSTON HOUSE CENTRE 27 BUSINESS PARK

WOODHEAD ROAD

BIRSTALL, BATLEY

WEST YORKSHIRE

ENGLAND

WF17 9TD

Company No. 00133540

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifStatus: Active

And to TheAnalyst I would still maintain that your approach should be to be asking for the full amount of the PPI claim to be repaid to you at this stage. I would not start by talking about this 75% calculation with Welcome.

Anything could happen on this thread, to be honest I did not know that a creditor could remove a correctly placed default marker on an account, I would have thought they were compelled by the DPA to correctly record information. I didn't think that deals could be done to bypass legislation in this way.

Well you live and learn

welcome staff are operating under the guidelines of the FSCS .

there an old thread here that explains why the fscs did it this way.

we had lots of issues in the early days when this happened.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...