Solicitors mis leading my mother-in-law. Please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3953 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all ,

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread for me , this is a rather daunting and irritating subject that is really upsetting my family. I will try my best to explain the current situation and i really hope i can get some advice.

My girlfriends grandmother past away this year , around 3 months ago. The solicitors my girlfriends nans used is [name edited], and she gave them power of attorney. Now my girlfriends grandmother wasn't a wealthy lady by any means. She lived within her means and lived off a state pension. How ever she did have a significant amount of savings somewhere in the region of around 13,000 pounds , i don't mind sharing this number with the forum because its important you know. The solicitors in question are delaying everything , the lady dealing with the case is constantly going on about there nothing being any money left after their fee's and the funeral costs. But working out the funeral costs and other things , it doesn't add up all. I was in charge of almost everything when she passed away i saw all her assets and i saw the cost of the funeral , after the funeral costs there would still be 8000 pounds remaining , and she doesn't owe anybody money because ive checked and my motherinlaw would of known as we all saw her on a regular basis.

The way the solicitors are treating my family is just disgusting , they know we aren't wealthy either and the money set aside was addressed in her will for her daughter and grandchildren , which would go a long way to improving factors in their lives. We are constantly being kept out of the loop and for every phone call shes making to us shes charging us , but when ever we phone her shes never in the office because she loves to rack up the bill over the phone by calling us.

I just this second also found out the solicitor has put a add in the paper stating if anyone new her please come forward. :S Why would they do that?

The will is crystal clear anything left in the terms of money and other items goes to the grandchildren and siblings.

We are being taken for a ride here , shes been delaying this now for months and months. My girlfriends grandmother had next to nothing theres no way it should take this long.

What should we do? Contacting her would be met with snobby sadistic remarks as we have already had. She even accused my motherinlaw of stealing from the insurance pay out.

Please help.

Edited by honeybee13
Removing name of solicitors.

Hi Let's deal with the last question the executor has to ensure that there are no claims on the estate, before then disbursing bequests etc.

You must DEMAND a full breakdown of all costs/charges and disbursements made from the estate down to the last stamp. minute on the phone or attendance in person made by this solicitor if you are dissatisfied with the explanation the you have recourse to the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Have you spoken to the solicitor to discuss your concerns and ask how long it will take? You don't know whether you will be met with a snotty response if you don't make the call.

If you do get a snotty response, ask for the firm's complaints procedure and complain.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

best to use email to contact them anyway, much better than phone, so you have a record of what you requested and their response.

I presume you have a copy of the will, and are the solicitors named as executors, and has it been lodged for probate?

Are there any other close relatives other than your girlfriend as grand daughter that have an interest that can help?