Argos Faulty Sofa

jupiter247
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3973 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Apologies if any of this has been covered before - I am new to the site.

I bought a couple of leather sofas from Argos (Argos Store Card) approximately 2 years ago. Unfortunately, one of the sofas started showing signs of degradation a couple of months ago.

The damage has slowly become worse, and now I am left with the sofa being sunk in the middle, to the point where I am sitting on the wood underneath.

Due to the sofa being 2 years old, I was unsure if I could do anything about it. However, one of my friends told me that it would be reasonable to expect the sofa to last longer than 2 years, and that I may have a case under the Supply of Goods Act.?

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems, and could kindly offer me some advice?

Thank you

Each case is judged on its own merits of course but you could argue it isn't of satisfactory quality and lacking durability under S.14 of Sale of Goods Act 1979. The burden of proof is with you to prove your case so consider the sort of use it has had. Any kids jumping on it etc.

How much did it cost? Lower expectation of durability with budget items compared to expensive ones in theory. If you went down the road of court action, consider this: You pay a small sum depending on the price of the goods in question (guessing circa £100) to file the claim and if you lost you pay no costs. If they settle out of court or you win, they pay your claim fees and they would have to shell out for barrister fees to fight the case whereas you can represent yourself. This is why with a good case, the majority will crumble before court.

It seems there is a prima facie case under S.14 here.

Edited by Last Of The Time Lords

LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

'real world' legal and retail experience too

This post (although not a SOGA argument) makes interesting reading and they crumbled before court: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?385179-whatever-happens-not-replacing-my-i-pad

Edited by Last Of The Time Lords

LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

'real world' legal and retail experience too

simple case is ask them...

you might have to get a ind report done.

but they should also refund that if they agree there are issues with the sofa that they need to repair.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...