Court for no tax or SORN

caro
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3983 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last September a friend was stopped by police for driving a car with no tax. This was an oversight due to other problems and DVLA not sending a reminder to renew.

My friend expected court action but heard nothing until last week and the case is due in court on Monday 20 miles from my friends home. As the car is now SORN my friend can't get there.

Is there a way of getting the case transferred to their local court, and if so what is the process?

Edited by caro
The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Maybe but there have been other issues with DVLA so my friend wants to be able to make their case in person. They've already had far more money than the road tax which they weren't entitled to.

My friend has a defence but wants to make it in court for a judge to decide but the location is likely to be the stumbling block.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Is this at a Magistrates' Court? That's usually where DVLA prosecute. The best thing would be to phone the Court in question and ask them.

I agree that she should make her case in person. I had a run in with DVLA and they wouldn't back down so I went to Court and their lawyer backed down outside Court.

I was so pleased I had gone in person. :-)

what court is your friends nearest court and what court is 20 miles away, being that a lot of magistrates courts have closed with cut backs, the court 20 miles away may be your nearest anyways

Thanks for the responses. I understand that the local mags court is still operating but that traffic offences are being heard in specific courts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22563657

The new courts will only have jurisdiction in the 90% of cases where motorists admit their guilt; if they contest the offence, it will be dealt with by magistrate courts as at present.

As I understand it these will only deal with uncontested cases with a guilty plea. Most likely the defendant will not even be expected to be at court and may well be a "paper exercise" only court. If the defendant needs to appear with a not guilty plea then it goes to the "normal" mags court

Trouble is they don't give much time to deal with it. It takes them nearly 9 months before hearing anything and you don't hear anything until about 2 weeks before a court date.

Seems like they just want to rubber stamp them like they do with things like council tax summons.

I wonder how many people who feel they have a valid case will just let it go because they don't have time to deal with it.

Kerching!!

Trouble is they don't give much time to deal with it. It takes them nearly 9 months before hearing anything and you don't hear anything until about 2 weeks before a court date.

Seems like they just want to rubber stamp them like they do with things like council tax summons.

I wonder how many people who feel they have a valid case will just let it go because they don't have time to deal with it.

Kerching!!

Or when you do turn up to contest with a valid argument they are able to drop the case there and then, leaving you a day out of pocket.

On other forums there is the suggestion that you make absolutely certain to turn up at the court door with seconds to spare, only speak to the usher to give your name, nothing more, and hide your carefully documented gamechanging bundle until you are in front of the magistrate.

Thanks Maisy. :-)

Not sure but they don't have to attend although there is that option.