Cabot Advice Please?!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5679 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello chaps,

I have had an on going saga with this company. My barclaycard account was passed to Cabot about 6 years ago. I ignored most correspondance as I found these monkeys rather clueless, rude and threatening.

I've paid probably about £200 in dribs and drabs in the 6 years since they took over the account. I owe about £500 now (which is about what I owed in the first place!). However last week I received a letter saying;

We previously advised you that failure to resolve this outstanding debt would result in commencmeent of one of the below actions being taken:

1.Instruction to an external agent to call on you

2.A warrant of execution

3.A charging order

4.An attachment of earnings order

5.Order to obtain information

Failure to respond now ensures the commencement of one of the above actions

(Big kisses,)

Invented name

Recoveries Manager

-----------

Where do I stand? What should I do? It appears many people on here are pretty clued up about this company so any input is much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

n.b - I've read various Cabot threads and understand the 6 year rule, however I don't know the exact date that they brought my account. I presume writing to them requesting my CCA is the best option and finding out, and presumably I'd find out how old this account is? Can anyone link me to the relevant template? Many thanks again

Thanks for replying...

Ok, so would you advise against writing to them and requesting my CCA still?

Doesn't really matter. You don't have a Limitation Act argument against them. However, if they are unable to provide a copy of the signed agreement under a CCA demand then the debt is unenforceable and, arguably, you might be able to recover the payments already made.

I would actually recommend that anyone dealing with Cabot makes a CCA request. This is a parasitic debt buyer that purchases debt cheap and then tries to intimidate people into paying the face value of the debt and hence a large profit. At the same time they don't, in my opinion, take their obligations to the debtor very seriously. Anything that anyone can do to make this company do what it is supposed to do and to make life difficult for them is fair enough.

here is the CCA template I used, they replied saying they were investigating but that was about 6 weeks ago so I have issued court papers against them, see the link in my signature.

I have marked in red the bits you have to change

To: CABOT FINANCIAL (EUROPE) LIMITED,

PO BOX 241,

WEST MALLING,

ME19 4NA

Date: 28/8/2006

Dear Sir or Madam

After recently obtaining a copy of our credit file from Experian & Equifax we was concerned to note that your company has placed a "Default" notice against X accounts detailed above in our names.

Previous address was BLAH.

Further to this we have no recollection of ever receiving such a notice, and we therefore require you to substantiate this data at your earliest convenience.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is our right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit). Your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. we enclose a £1 cheque in payment of the statutory fee. .

2. You must supply me with a signed true and certified copy of the original default notice

3. Any deed of assignment if the debt was sold on

I would request that this data is provided to myself within the next 14 days, if you are unable to provide this data then we must insist that it is removed from our files as unsubstantiated.

Yours faithfully

• Haha 1

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

Just sent a CCA request to cabot and barclaycard for a debt that a family member knows nothing about.

they never had a barclaycard although I did apply some years ago but cancelled the agreement before any documentation arrived. Certainly never had a card or spent anything on it.

barclaycard deny they exhist and they say the acount number doesnt exhist.

Interesting to see what happens.

Ill start own thread if it gets interesting

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

Just sent a CCA request to cabot and barclaycard for a debt that a family member knows nothing about.

they never had a barclaycard although I did apply some years ago but cancelled the agreement before any documentation arrived. Certainly never had a card or spent anything on it.

barclaycard deny they exhist and they say the acount number doesnt exhist.

Interesting to see what happens.

Ill start own thread if it gets interesting

Shouldn't that be a dpa Subject Access request to Barclaycard?

Just to cheer you up, someone stole my ID and applied for a card - PM me if you want to know how it was done.

Im a little concerned thats whats happened.

Strangely though this is a couple of years old and he has never received a statement or any corres.

and barclaycard state the account dosnt exhist.

I was hoping to sort this out without spending another 10 quid on a SAR.

Sorry for the minor hijacking

will start thread if it gets interesting

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

• 2 years later...

Hello guys.

I have recently recieved a letter from cabot saying they have taken over my dept from Online Finance, they said in this letter that i owe them nearly £400 more than what my account with online finance? i have been paying online finance £20 p.m since november 07. As i couldnt work due to damaging my arm, i went to see c.a.b. and have sent the letter to them. Only the other day i got a call asking to confirm my details which i declined to do as cabot wouldnt give me any information. i feel i should just stop paying or keep paying online finance. Any help on this matter please as the more i read about this company the more worried im getting.

Kind Regards

Myobbgit - you would do best to start your own thread, otherwise this one might get confusing!

My dealings with Cabot have just ended for now, I requested a CCA for a Goldfish account which they are supposed to have been assigned earlier this year, after the usual - returning my fee we have asked the original lender etc etc, they sent me statements and said they had complied, I rang them ( would never advise anybody else to do this though) and they advised me that Goldfish have said they can't find any agreement :D

I told them I wouldn't be paying them, yesterday I received a letter from Cabot saying my accound had been returned to Goldfish.

Always send a CCA in the first instance - good luck :)

Myobbgit - you would do best to start your own thread, otherwise this one might get confusing!

My dealings with Cabot have just ended for now, I requested a CCA for a Goldfish account which they are supposed to have been assigned earlier this year, after the usual - returning my fee we have asked the original lender etc etc, they sent me statements and said they had complied, I rang them ( would never advise anybody else to do this though) and they advised me that Goldfish have said they can't find any agreement :D

I told them I wouldn't be paying them, yesterday I received a letter from Cabot saying my accound had been returned to Goldfish.

Always send a CCA in the first instance - good luck :)

Well done, another one bites the dust :D