• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Ifonic Claims Ltd Swansea - 86yrs old apparently £990 out of pocket!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3931 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Stanford, you ask why we actively discourage our members from using Claims Management Companies.

I would suggest this is thread is one reason. One very good reason why we do this.

Then go on to claim

Our response rate appears empirically to be better than the direct approach. However I am not able to provide hard data.

You receive no special treatment as CMC when making approaches to the bank or the Financial Ombudsman.

You have advised (as part of your advertising puff) that your largest success to date is obtaining the sum of £19,000 for a client. Please look round our "Success "Forums and you will see that with Free advice and assistance from our members, others have managed to obtain many larger sums ! Indeed one such member obtained £60,000 !!

Further more, we do have the hard data :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Uploaded & re-attached as .pdf

I haven't uploaded every single document as it's time consuming & space consuming, but you'll get the jist of it.

Taken from my original post:

The documents contain the following:

Welcome letter & T's&C's

x2 - Letter of Engagement - Allowing Ifonics to deal with this claim, which is unsigned

Client Information - Containing very basic details about my father in law (address, telephone number etc)

x11 - Letter of Authority - Giving authority for Ifonics to act & reclaim PPI on my father in laws behalf, also unsigned

x11 - PPI Questionnaire

I am also in the process of acquiring the bank statement which shows the actual payment being taken from my in laws bank account and I will attach that either later on today or tomorrow.

Just realised that. Sorting them now & I have removed them for the time being. Apologies.

Apologies not required. It must be very frustrating to post up only to discover that no one can see or access your documents :(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Sadly the final page, terms and conditions has scanned quite poorly and I personally am unable to read it. I am sure there are others here who will be able to comment further on the documents you have posted up.

What I am still at a loss to understand is why, monies were taken from your FiL's account, before these documents were signed and returned to the CMC ?

BCOBS

Sadly the final page, terms and conditions has scanned quite poorly and I personally am unable to read it. I am sure there are others here who will be able to comment further on the documents you have posted up.

What I am still at a loss to understand is why, monies were taken from your FiL's account, before these documents were signed and returned to the CMC ?

so am I !!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You receive no special treatment as CMC when making approaches to the bank.

It has certainly been our experience that we have had successful claims where the bank has rejected an initial approach by the customer.

You have advised (as part of your advertising puff) that your largest success to date is obtaining the sum of £19,000 for a client. Please look round our "Success "Forums and you will see that with Free advice and assistance from our members, others have managed to obtain many larger sums ! Indeed one such member obtained £60,000 !!
Of course. By the very nature of this forum, you have highly intelligent members who are well able to argue their own case. They don't need us. In fact I'm considering adding a link to our web page to your helpful "how to" post for customers who want to go it alone. Would you have any objection to that?

Furthermore, we do have the hard data :)
I'd be very interested to see that data as it would be really useful to be able to gauge our performance over time. In return, I'd be happy to make data available to this forum.

Yep, which makes me think that Cerys-Angharad Ltd. trading as Ifonic Claims have committed Advance Fee Fraud.

As regards to the T's & C's, I'll re-scan them and upload them again.

You are entitled to your opinion that our business practice is disgusting. However we have never "spoofed" or "diddled" anyone and I will continue to refute such allegations.

Frankly, I find the practices of the banks disgusting: they have systematically overcharged for a useless insurance; they have fiddled interest rates; they do everything they can to defend the indefensible. If the banks didn't "diddle" the customers, claims companies would not be in business. With whom are you more disgusted?

stop changing the subject...

WHY are you charging an advanced fee of £990 , when there is NO SIGNED CONTRACT.??

nice comment about the banks spoofing people out of PPI - then along comes CMC's like yourselves - that spoof them even more!!

EVERYTHING you claim to do, can be done for FREE quite simply by anyone.

but you charge £990 upfront fees AND then take 22% of any PPI refunded!! nice earner !!

i'm surprised you've not discovered the other to money earners here

charging 20% vat and tax on the 8% stat int portion and keeping that too!

disgusting.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Mr Stanford, I have a couple of scenarios I will put forward. How would your company respond/act if this were to be the case with one of your "clients"

A customer has an outstanding balance with the bank that contains arrears. The banks have the right of offset and will insist that any refund is used to repay the outstanding arrears/balance. The claimant then has no actual refund. But, will still, because of a contract with you, owe you money !! Presumably this client is already in dire straits and has no money. Presumably you aren't going to let your fees go ? Yes/No

BCOBS

Next scenario..

Would you take on a claim that goes back as far as 1989/90 ? If not, why not. Or are you only looking for the easy cases.. loans and cards taken out in the last 6 years ?

If you are taking up front fees, what work exactly do you do for this. How many letters, phone calls, what sort of time is spent on a claim?

What happens if your are unsuccessful? Is the "client" down by his fee to your company, what sort of fight does your company put up or do you back down at the first sign of aggravation from the bank/financial institution ?

BCOBS

Mr Stanford, I have a couple of scenarios I will put forward. How would your company respond/act if this were to be the case with one of your "clients"

A customer has an outstanding balance with the bank that contains arrears. The banks have the right of offset and will insist that any refund is used to repay the outstanding arrears/balance. The claimant then has no actual refund. But, will still, because of a contract with you, owe you money !! Presumably this client is already in dire straits and has no money. Presumably you aren't going to let your fees go ? Yes/No

We have certainly waived fees in the past where customers are in difficulty. We have an internal but unpublished policy on the matter.

Also, I see on your website that your verification fee is £99.00 why was this elderly person charged £990.00 or is there typo somewhere ?

BCOBS

Thank you for posting up the terms and conditions.

BCOBS

It was £990 as it's £99.00 per agreement which totalled 10 agreements. They were pursuing people that my father in law had previously had no business with what so ever.

People like M&S & Tesco at no point has my father in law had any credit cards or loans from either of these companies.

Would you take on a claim that goes back as far as 1989/90 ? If not, why not. Or are you only looking for the easy cases.. loans and cards taken out in the last 6 years ?

We will take on any claim where we can obtain sufficient documentation.

If you are taking up front fees, what work exactly do you do for this. How many letters, phone calls, what sort of time is spent on a claim?
We estimate an average of two to three hours' work in our back-office to process a claim. We obtain a DSAR (if necessary) to establish the relevant account details. We frequently call the customer and talk him though completing the questionnaire. We write a letter of complaint to the bank. And that's just the initial steps.

What happens if your are unsuccessful? Is the "client" down by his fee to your company, what sort of fight does your company put up or do you back down at the first sign of aggravation from the bank/financial institution ?
There are two types of "unsuccessful". One is where there was no PPI. In this case, yes, the customer is "down" by his fee. And we are "down" by the work we have performed. This is why we try very hard to ensure that the customer believes he may have been mis-sold PPI. The other is where the bank claims that the PPI was not mis-sold. Here we have a procedure to insist that it was, involving letters and phone calls to the bank and eventually, if necessary, a complaint to the FoS. This is where I believe a CMC comes into its own: the bank is much more likely to back down to us than to the customer.

It was £990 as it's £99.00 per agreement which totalled 10 agreements. They were pursuing people that my father in law had previously had no business with what so ever.

People like M&S & Tesco at no point has my father in law had any credit cards or loans from either of these companies.

We didn't make it up. We believed your Father-in-law when he said he had these agreements.

Now we know the circumstances and the state of your Father-in-law's health, he has been approved for a refund. The refund will be made as soon as we can be sure that a chargeback has not been issued.

the bank is much more likely to back down to us than to the customer.

utter rubbish

a CMC holds no more cards nor more clout than any claimant going alone.

dx

and they

To the OP, please take a moment to tell BBC Watchdog about your complaint. There may be others who have been ripped off by this company and when they have enough complaints they will feature the company.

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Might be an idea to include a link to this post in your message.

There may be others who have been ripped off by this company and when they have enough complaints they will feature the company.

Have you actually read the thread? Nobody has been ripped off by "this company". I'd be more than happy to talk to Watchdog or any other investigative journalist.

Already sent an email to Watchdog as well as making other people aware of this situation.

@Cliff: I turst this will be a full refund? As really it shouldn't of been taken in the first place.

Also going forward Cliff, I would like to ask that you make sure that people are of sound mind before pursuing with any claim. Your company needs to change it practices. I was also very serious in sending an invoice, as mentioned in my email yesterday, this is for my time, use of phone, laptop and electricity etc..

Finally, Cliff I will be submitting a full complaint to the ICO as pointed out earlier.

All this could of been avoided had you of dealt with me in a proper manner in the first place.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43890[/ATTACH]

Edited by citizenB

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?88004-PPI-Successes

Our PPI success thread, this is not fully updated. As you will appreciate, we are extremely busy and PPI is not our only concerns.

BCOBS

CerberusSco

I have unapproved the statement in the post above. I can see your personal details. I will edit properly and restore.. give me 10 minutes or so.

BCOBS

Just as a thank you I have made a small donation to the site. I would of donated more, but it's all I can afford at the moment. I forgot to include my username though as I didn't see that option until I clicked submit when paying. Still doesn't matter.

@citizenB I didn't see anything that would be identifiable, apologies though & thanks.