building materials issui

sean_seany
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4006 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi first post , hope its in the right place :razz:

I have recently laid a new patio in my garden and used a product called "Geo-fix" jointing compound to point the joints. I purchased it from a local builders merchants and asked for "Grey" to match my new slabs.

After pointing it, I have noticed that the colour specified on the tub isn't what i have in reality. Its more like a buff colour. I have sopke to in person and e-mailed the builders merchant with photos of my problem and they informed me it was an issue the supplier would address. The supplier has told me via the builders merchant that thats the grey they make and have offered a replacement tub for free.

I work as a bricklayer and know that if i cut out the old pointing ( in my own time and at my own expense) that its more than likely that i will damage the slabs. Do you think its a fair an acceptable offer they have made.

Where would i stand legally on this issue please ? I have attached some photos for reference.

Many thanks

Sean

?ui=2&ik=ed90380553&view=att&th=13e61a81b2e64fb0&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_hg6wzk6m0&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-TrZ2cwRDR-inmy3mmDmwq&sadet=1368223966658&sads=8xjnUYm4W_mG2wuowAzGBvDkW0Y

?ui=2&ik=ed90380553&view=att&th=13e61a81b2e64fb0&attid=0.3&disp=inline&realattid=f_hg6wzk762&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-TrZ2cwRDR-inmy3mmDmwq&sadet=1368224030624&sads=EQ4gloGgQPemJClft9cxe1f8My0

?ui=2&ik=ed90380553&view=att&th=13e61a81b2e64fb0&attid=0.5&disp=inline&realattid=f_hg6wzk7j4&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-TrZ2cwRDR-inmy3mmDmwq&sadet=1368224059084&sads=h-zsJeJnvgGDLsSvCuqEB_TkTZw

Hi Sean,

Unfortunately your pics have not come through. I'm not sure where you'll be able to go with this. When you bought it, did you take a sample slab to ask the buliders merchants to confirm that it wound definately match? You may find some fine print somewhere on the tin stating that the colour may vary (you sometimes see this with paint). Did you not notice the difference straight away when you started to use it?

I am curious as to why they have offered a replacement tin if what you had is the grey. Won't it be exactly the same? Obviuosuy if the replacement is greatly different (as opposed to slight differences you may get in different batches) then that could be a different kettle of fish.

This is just my opinion. Someone may come along who knows better.

Jeremy

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

Oppz .... just realised I need 10 posts or more to post images.When I have them I will post the images.

When I went to my local builders merchant I purchased everything I would need to complete the job .Sand ,cement, slabs and the jointing compound ( along with some joists, screws and decking) All adding up to nearly £700.00. When I ordered the slabs I wanted I asked if they sold a jointing compound and they suggested "Geo-Fix" and I asked if it came in "Grey" so it would match my slabs .It cost £45.00 for a tub and would just be enough to point my paving ,around 7 square meters in total.

Its in a sealed 20KG vacuum pack and you have 45 mins to use it as it starts to set after that time frame. When I opened it up it was whitish in appearance, didn't take much notice to be honest .I took it for granted a chemical reaction would happen with the air and I would have grey pointing the next day after it fully sets.

As to why they have offered me a replacement ,I think its just to shut me up to be honest. The builders merchants have said they will get it in writing via e mail from the supplier and forward it to me. Something along the lines that they have a newer shade of grey now. I believe the supplier and the manufacturer are two different entities .

I have done some googling around to see if I am the only one and have found some negative comments on amazon.co.uk complaing about the colour ( I should have researched it before I purchased it from my local builders merchant I guess)

Ah, the small print ... always the small print lol. I wouldn't mind it if was a different shade of grey ,but this isn't grey at all ( not even one of the 50 shades some people read about :wink:)

Just really annoyed that I have been sold a product and have been let down by it. Even if they gave me a full refund Id still have the wrong pointing. The only solution I can think of is to use a patio sealant to try and tone the contrast down. Most likely costing £50.00 to do the job and my time.

Thanks for the reply Jeremy appreciate it !

Still working on my 10 posts ( some don't seem to be adding to my total for some reason ?)

Anyway I have contacted the manufacture and they sent me a colour sample via e mail this morning of the actual product once set. Its more of a match to the buff sample than it is the grey. So I am thinking its a mix up at the factory and has been packaged wrong.

Once i hit the magical 10 I will post the images.

:smile:

Common problem with pointing, as would know as a bricklayer, with coloured mortar; thats why many Architects have samples made up before deciding which to use, and you get differences in batches.

Suggest you disc cut the surface of the joint and repoint in a colour you are sure of, once dry!

Take what ever they offer you if it suits, as the final choice is down to you.

But this is not a mortar product , hence me using it and I have taken plenty of work down due to an architects instruction . The last example would be on the "Athletes village med centre " on the Olympic site where a colour difference was visible over a lift of scaffolding. The supplier of the premixed mortar was responsible for it and was counter-charged by Bovis who was the main developer on site.

Thanks for the input.

screenshot7cn.png

dsc00010ku.jpg

Plenty more photos if needed.

The top photo shows the colour sample EverBuild ( manufacturer )sent me via E mail this morning) They also stated that they only have one shade of grey and have not changed it,as stated by the supplier. Although they do now sell an all weather wet and dry product.

IMO the colour match is closer to buff than grey.

I was in the builders merchants this morning funnily enough buying some materials and got back and received the e mail , Forwarded it on straight away to the them and they will forward it to the supplier. Basically the builders merchants are blaming the supplier for it , all they did was order it for me and it was available the next day after it was delivered.

So I'm not entirely sure who would be responsible for it , Supplier I guess ?