Landlords responsibilities after fire

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4068 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, and thanks in advance.

As noted in a previous post by myself, my landlord failed to carry out repairs, which sadly ended in a fire.

We were very lucky that we were not in bed at the time. A leak near electrics was left for 3 months, after repeated requests to deal with it.

I was at home when I heard a bang in the attic. As I pulled down the hatch to investigate, I was greeted by flames and smoke with the attic ablaze.

The fire crew told me the fire had been going for around 4 hours. This was at 10.30am. Had I not been there, and not opened the hatch, the whole house could have collapsed. (bungalow)

Now, begrudgingly, the landlord put us in a hotel, at 6pm that evening..... we are still there!

He called me this morning and said we should be back in by Friday, but also told me I was lucky he was paying for this and claiming it back as tenants normally have to pay themselves then claim it back! Surely this is not correct???

He also told me I could not claim for broadband (£3 per day) I have fibre broadband at home and need it for my job so surely this should be covered. There are a LOT of out of pocket expenses that I am yet to mention!!!!

I'm not impressed that he is making out like he is doing me a favour. If it had been worse, he would be on a manslaughter charge for failing to carry out the repairs which in turn endangered a family of 3. The letting agent also told me not to mention to the insurance that we had informed them of the fault...... Something to hide?

To add to that, he invoiced me on Saturday for the next months rent. The cheek!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

To add to that, he invoiced me on Saturday for the next months rent. The cheek!!!

Not a cheek. For Ts to claim free temp alt accom from LL, they must continue to pay rent, when due, at AST rate if alt accom is of equiv standard. They should also accept to return to orig property, when avail, subject to prevailing T Notice periods.

If your personal contents were damaged in th fire, you should claim on your personal contents Ins. Let Ins Cos fight.

If you claim against LL, then IMO you would have to provide evidence that the offending leak was notified to LL by letter, in advance of fire.

Does your contract specifically say anything about what LL responsibilities are?

Does your LL provide broadband, or do you pay for it yourself?

You have said that you reported a leak. But you have not specifically said that the fire was due to the leak.

Have you explained to your landlord that you reported the leak? You cannot be sure that agents passed your messages on.