• Tweets

• safe to ignore plenty of ECP final notification PDF's here already . dx  
    • I didn't think as much came out of today's hearing but it's possible she admitted to a cover-up. Journos need to go through their notes. I should think a few people were upset about how the mediation scheme seems to have been set up to pay low or no compensation. Tomorrow they've abandoning Vennells to the mercy of the SPMs' lawyers for the whole day. That could be worth watching.
    • Like the poops - sorry its caused herself problems  and sorry the plebs didnt just shut up and rot in a ditch somewhere   Mind you, she'll likely have an eternity free of heating bills eh? - BUT lets get kingdom befores justice in first eh?
    • .. Which the poops dont give a monkeys about as long as they stay in power to enable their real income from their rel employers, and sunak doesn't care about as hell be jogging off back to america   Starmer better get a handle on these second jobs and ban them for all MPs as a matter of prime urgency. Then stop all the oustanding crony payments and get the chargebacks going while he sorts out the country.
    • Okay everything is normal. No surprises. I'm assuming that you are prepared to carry on. It's a pretty amazing defence because they even agree that the box arrived empty but even more astonishingly they agree that your parcel hasn't been handled with due care and attention. Their sole defence is that they limit liability to £20 unless you purchase extra insurance. In other words they contravene section 57 of the consumer rights act unless you purchase a secondary contract of insurance which is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act. These people are more stupid than the people at Hermes. I suggest that you carry on. We suggest that you avoid mediation. I believe that a new compulsory mediation scheme is coming in but I think that this is for cases which were begun after your claim date. We suggest that you go completely to trial and get every penny. Your chances of success are pretty well 100%. I hope you understand where you are on this and what the procedures are now. If you haven't then you have more reading to do. We suggest that you pay the money to continue and that you decline mediation.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

abbey next

susanne007
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6253 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

having just won with rbos now its time for the abbey. asked for statement online(which i'm guessing i won't have access to in a while). then decided to ring and ask for them that way. after speaking to one of their employees in another country and breaking the launguage barrier hopefully she understood that i wanted statment since i opened my account in 2002. estimated charges at 2k. will keep you updated.

rbos prem letter sent 25th aug 06

give me 10 more days letter received 2nd sept 06

lba sent 7th sept 06

settled in full 7/10/2006

Hi Susanne

Do a DPA SAR as Abbey are one of the worse ones to get the information from they Will not act on the request and will only send the last 12 mths so the SAR will be best.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing :)

welly;)

DONT FORGET TO DONATE TO THIS SITE WHEN YOU WIN THANKYOU

If you dont it wont be here:x

Let battle commence!!!!!:mad:

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

just opened todays mail and i have received an authorisation request for account transation statement which i presume has come from my request on online banking also saying if i would like to go ahead and order them i must enclose 10 quid.. trouble is i rang yesterdy to ask for them as well and lady i spoke to sid shes ordered them for me. should i just wait to see. probably ring them on monday if no joy then i'll send the sar. i will get my money back.....

lba sent 7th sept 06

You will!!! just dont trust them too much they love to drag this out ;)

DONT FORGET TO DONATE TO THIS SITE WHEN YOU WIN THANKYOU

If you dont it wont be here:x

Let battle commence!!!!!:mad:

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

• 1 month later...

well still not got all the statements i rang yesterday to see where they were and was told they have been ordered on the 31st october and because they have to archive them it could take 3 to 6 weeks clock ticking tick tock tick tock.

lba sent 7th sept 06

• 3 weeks later...

update. rang pam speed on the 10th dec to ask why i still havent had my statements. was given ususal bumph about microfiche and how so many were stored together and how many were in a box and how many boxes there were. you get the picture. said i wasnt interested as a large company should be able to access these a lot quicker. they havent even taken the tenner out of the account yet!

anyway received a letter from Pam this morning which says and i quote "thank you for getting in touch with us to request info on your bank account. I also acknowledge your authority to debit your account with the 10.00 fee. Please accept mmy sincere apologies for the delay in replying. (THat was the bit i liked the most an actual appology from the abbey)

fROM CHECKING OUR RECORDS, i CAN SEE THAT YOU HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED STATMENTS COVERING THE PAST YEAR OR SO. aNY PREVIOUS TRANSATIONS HAVE BEEN ARCHIVED ONTO microfiche and it is not possible to provide you with a computer print out of this information. However, we have made arrangements to send you a list of archived transations between 2000 and 2005(only opened the account in feb 2002) under seperate cover yours pam speed.

so at least now i know that something is finally happening but do i now have to wait another 40 days for these to come through. anybody

lba sent 7th sept 06

rang pam speed again today to see when statements will be ready. was told around 7-10 days also asked if charges which will be coming out of the account on xmas eve could be stopped. told point blank no by their debt managment dept. thanks abbey

lba sent 7th sept 06

• 3 weeks later...

got through to pam speeed again today to ask where microfiche was. was told that bradford dept was dealing with it and that they have until the 18th jan to have my microfiche3 with me. bring on the 18th must be at least 4k in my 'savings by now' as yet another 119 quid was taken from me on xmas eve. how nice of them not.....

lba sent 7th sept 06

microfiche came today and after a quick calculation comes to just under 3k without interest will go on vamps spreadsheet later and let u know.

lba sent 7th sept 06

asked if charges which will be coming out of the account on xmas eve could be stopped. told point blank no by their debt managment dept. thanks abbey

this is the way abbey treats its customers.

if anyone reading this is in 2 minds about claiming against abbey, read the above quote.

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

Yes I Did Struggle A Bit Over Xmas As It Was 120 Quid They Took And When You Have 5 Kids The Money Dont Go Far. Any Way Now I Can See Light At The End Of The Tunnel. Been On Vamps Spread Sheet And Total Claim Inclu Interest Is £3200. Wrote Prelim Letter And Printed Out Schedual Am Going To Post It When I Pick Kids Up From School. Cant Wait For Cheque As I Know Abbey Will Not Get The Better Of Me Again.

lba sent 7th sept 06

right here goes. rang shabby before chreistmas about the charges that i was getting on christmas eve. was asking them if i could have the charges back. the request was put through to their complaints dept who would look into the case and let me know. received a letter from alison goodband to say she has looked into my case and as they have already given back charges in the past as a good will gesture that at no point would they refund anymore charges in the future.

i have now got all the statements that i need and done a spreadsheet with a prelim letter and also a lba letter as i feel that i already have had my response from alison goodband to a prelim request eventhough it was done via the phone. in the lba have also explained this.

rang abbey yesterday to make sure they received my letter(which i know they did as i tracked it) was told that it wasn't on the system but this could take a couple of days. then she said that she would email alison and get her to give me a ring in the next 24 hours to see if we could sort things out without all the rigmerole of letters(sorry if thats not spelt right).

took the day off work to see if she will ring. will let you know

lba sent 7th sept 06

• 5 weeks later...

okay i think i have given abbey plenty of time now. get letters every other day to say they are looking into it for me, but its a stage 2 complaint and nobody has been assigned to it yet. they acknowledge that its been eight weeks and told me that i can go to the ombusman now if i want to. been to court and picked up n1 form. may need some help to fill it in any body help. also since they had the lba more charges have been added and i got my statment the other day and anothe 90.00 is coming out on the 24th feb. can i add these on too when i fill in the n1

lba sent 7th sept 06

Guest beedydad

Hi Sue 007

noted your situation. I am in similar position as done the LBA etc following their decline of refunidng any charges. They also used the "we have already given you a GOGW....so go away" tactic.

I faxed my LBA letter and followed up by tele call - they told me now on "stage 2" but what is this? Other than they state gives them up to 8 weeks to respond.. does anyone know what it means?:idea:

i told them its only an industry agreed time line - its not law and does not fit with mine (as recomended by CAG and others) and that my dedline would be kept to the 14 days - this started from 7th February - so clock ticking!!

Will probably be be doing an N1 any day so will keep looking at your situation as will be on similar time frame.

Like you have wanted them to speed up the process as charges keep being added/taken. We have a set income and a set commited expenditure per month which includes mortgae and even an Abbey loan - which becasue they take there charges out these don't all get paid!!!

I am still very confident of 100% success even if it takes longer

Beedydad:)

• 2 weeks later...

well finally got my proof from the working tax credit so i dont have to pay the court fee. been to court with the completed n1 form and left with a big smile. Rang abbey in the morning to say that they now have had 10 weeks and guess what i'm still at a stage 2 and still noone has been allocated to deal with my complaint. So i told her that i was on my way to court and that i have been more than resonable in giving them the time they needed so now it has just cost you interest as well. 'i'ii email somebody straight away and get your case looked at first thing tommorrow' was a very quick response. said i didn't care anymore as i wasn't in it to make money, just to get back that which is righfully mine.

lba sent 7th sept 06

Guest beedydad

Hi

interested in your comments as it seems Abbey are wishing to stall at every hurdle.

I rang them last friday and enjoyed a half hour sermon from a manager!

I questioned (again) their method of taking charges as it always seems they have the upper hand (they do have "inside information"!!) and expect that we mere customers are mind readers and have nothing else to do put monitor our bank accounts - it would seem constantly!!

We got on to the level of the charges as I tried to extract info on this BUT to no avail - indeed the new "sermon on the mount of Abbey" is that the level of charges is so we wont go overdrawn, be naughty with DDM's, over use the cheque and g'tee cards, etc.... the clear reason is that if they were only £2.50 - £4.50 (as estemious industry folk believe) then we would always be naughty and constantly get into these financial situations.

Not only that I was lectured on how to a) budget my spending and b) that I clearly was aware that £400+ in charges were going to come out but I still chose to pay my mortgage a few days before!!!! Mmmm let me think about that, should I pay the mortgage or pay unlawful bank charge? Anyone care to vote in their favour?

Bottom line from the above was they have kept my claim at "stage 2" and I adviced that surely in their interest to settle as the cost of claim will be going up a further £300 + due to added interest, court costs, my expenses etc - their comment was to say they wont pay legal/court costs!!

Oh well like you - off to the courts

Beedydad

• 4 weeks later...

quick update.

ni filed. deemed served on the 9th march abbey have ubtil the 23rd march to respond.

rang abbey as another 155.00 coming out on the 23rd. reply was sorry cant agree to reverse those charges as you have a dispute with us. fair enough but are you going to include the 155 quid in with my claim. prob not me thinks, rnag court no response from abbey as of yet. was told that on mon i can request a judgement but if abbey respond beforhand they will go with abbey what they decide i.e pay up say no or just go around the houses as they ususally do. will keep you updated. this is gettin exciting now!!!!!!!

lba sent 7th sept 06

Susanne,

Getting close now. You deserve it after all this time. Sounds like Abbey have forgotten about filing a defence. They seem to do that with a few claims, and I hope mine is one of them. Defence due 28th March.

Actually I've just re-read your dates and are you sure? Deemed served 9th March, acknowledge 23rd,defend by 6th April

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

susanne,

reply was sorry cant agree to reverse those charges as you have a dispute with us.
That's odd, because they reversed some new ones of mine after my LBA (but before N1), and without even being prompted by me. Regards, Mad Nick

Abbey £8370 settled 17 Apr 07

just reread notice of issue from the court.

claim issued on the 1st march 07

sent by first class post on the 7th march 07

deemed served on the 9th march 07

the defendant has until the 23rd march 07 to reply.

mad nick

the case got passed onto the legal dept of abbey on the 13th march. i rang on the 15th march. so it was too late. butr saying that on the 24th feb i had charges added to the acciount and also asked for these back. was told no again then, because they have reversed charges twice already in the last 12 months.

lba sent 7th sept 06

rang abbey again this morning to inform them that as no response from them that i am going upto the court to file for judgment. after being told several times already that their legal dept don't have a direct phone number. guess what they have and it is on my records apparently that the legal dept want to speak to me and here is the magic number. 02077564332. don't know what they want yet as their computers are down.

will keep you all updated.

lba sent 7th sept 06

rang them back and the reply was that they acknowledged the claim on the 9th march and will be entering their defence tommorrow. she said they will be offering me a settlement figure very shortly by post. so i just have to wait and see. rang court they say they still havent received anything but as said earlier they are a week behind with their post. will be requesting for judgement tommorrow.

lba sent 7th sept 06

copy of defense received from abbey this morning. rang them to see if they would include charges taken from account last friday and was told no i would have to start a seperate claim for them. but would i consider a settlement over the phone for 2k my reply was no cauz my claim is fro 2,722. but would consider 2.5k he said okay. will not stop court procedings until money in the bank. me thinks me won.

lba sent 7th sept 06

That's good news!

I did notice though on one of your earlier threads that your total claim was for £3200. Considering they won't include your recent charges I think they've got off lightly, saved themselves a few quid.

However if your happy with that-Great and well done you've still won when you get the money!!