Jump to content

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2479 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts



This thread is slightly different from another on here relating to British Gas seeking a warrant of entry for non-payment of a bill, so please bare with me...


About 2 weeks ago I received a letter from BG informing me that £577 remained unpaid from my last bill and that they would be seeking a warrant of entry on 8th January 2013 from the local court. This would allow them legal access on 16th January to either disconnect my electricity supply or fit a pre-payment meter (the latter being the most likely course of action, obviously).


No dispute over the amount - I owe it. I haven't been able to pay it because I am unemployed and my only income is fortnightly Job Seekers Allowance. I have tried repeatedly to set up online a monthly Direct Debit payment scheme, but they won't allow it because previous DDs have been returned unpaid. Nonetheless, since receiving the letter I have managed to scrape together a total of £437, and am going to pay another £50 on January 2nd. But that means I still owe a further £90, which I simply don't have, and won't have until the 16th January - the day of the execution of the warrant.


So, my questions really are these: would BG really go to the trouble of applying to the courts for a warrant for such a small remaining sum? And if so, if I attend court on the day of application and plead my case, is it likely my personal circumstances will be taken into account and more time granted me in which to pay?


Any advice gratefully received.




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

try to contact them and pay what you can; they will probably cancel the application.

do it by email, not phone.

if no success then yes go to court, judge will not process if you are making genuine effort to pay.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...