• Tweets

• just noticed that one of farages favorite poops was suggesting another stealth tax of 10 quid a month - possibly per person inc children ..   Minister proposed £10 monthly insurance-style patient charge to fund NHS dentists WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘Working people can’t afford another Tory tax rise,’ says Labour’s Wes Streeting   “They are framing this as some kind of pre-payment or quid pro quo, but of course, we already pay for the NHS through income tax, and in general that is a much more equitable way of doing it.” The DHSC declined to comment
    • All righty, seems I know why it was so quiet, basically the case was in transfer. I just got a letter from my local county court stating that they will be now taking over from Nots (dated 28 May 2024, wow) But no other correspondence so far. Will keep you posted
    • Hey,  I've messaged my husband but he is not contactable while he is in work. As soon as he is on his way home I will find out which finance company we used. I'm so sorry, I just don't know.
    • Okay, I have read your claim form. A pity you didn't come to us earlier. You haven't pleaded any legal basis for your claim and you haven't cited the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties Act. How long have you been aware of this forum? We will have to bring that out later when you do your witness statement. Once again, do the reading very carefully. I suggest that you wait until Monday before coming back here and confirming that you have read everything. And in particular, as I have indicated, read the thread which I posted above very carefully and in particular we the details of the contractual terms which were discovered and get a copy for yourself. Post a link to them in this thread as well for other people to see. They are relying on the fact that you don't have a direct contract with them and they are referring to a contractual term which is apparently in the contract between them and Packlink which specifically excludes third parties. You will definitely want to see this. They have tried to rely on this before but they have never produced the contract. In your witness statement you will have to request that they produced the contract in court. In terms of the mediation, frankly we would have advised you to decline mediation. It's all done secretively. Nothing is ever revealed and of course they will try to get you to compromise on the amount of money you are claiming. We would strenuously suggest that you don't give up a single penny. Do the reading that I have suggested, find the details of the contract which I have told you about which accepts direct liability to you, the customer – and post it here.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Lowells/Hampton bankruptcy Petiion - ** PETITION DISMISSED **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3854 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a Statutory Demand last June for just under £3000 . I thought it was just another frightening tactic and stupidly ignored it.

It relates to a Capitol One credit card debt from at least 2007, maybe earlier. I do have other creditors too amounting to a total of around £20,000, all from around the same period. I lost my job in 2004 and ended up using credit cards to survive. Its taken a while but this year I have managed to pay all my priority debts off including mortgage arrears.

Just have these not priority debts to deal with! I did speak to a debt management Company after I received the SD and they told me not to worry as it was just probably only a threat as it would cost them more than the debt was worth to take it bankruptcy. They did send me a proposal for a debt management plan but I decided not to go ahead with it as they were wanting £150 a month (which isn't a problem ) out of which they would take the first two payments as an admin fee and charge £25 a month. I thought it a bit much taking money which could otherwise have been put towards paying the debts off.

I have now received a letter from Land Registry Bankruptcy Unit, Enquiry 10A, which implies that papers have been submitted to court for a Bankruptcy petition.

I have also spoken to National Debtline who weren't very helpful about the bankruptcy petition and didn't know what the enquiry B10a from land registry was. Postman has just delivered a package from National Debtline with loads of info that I'll have to have a read through!

I phoned the court and they said a hearing date had been set for early January next year. I haven't had any papers served to me as yet (thought the package from National Debtline might have been them as it was in a large brown envelope!).

At present i am working on a temp to perm basis, presently through an agency but have been giving a permanent start date of January 2013. I am also self employed but don't earn much through self employment as work reduced due to the recession. I have also lost out on self employment work due to switching the phone off because of the continued harassment from Hamptons (up to 20 calls a day) Average net income per month is around £1000.

I work long hours (leave home at 5am get home at 5.30pm) and live alone so not been home when the man from Hamptons has tried to visit. Also means that I permanently tired and makes dealing with these types of issues more difficult. There is around £100,000 equity in my home so I really don't want to go bankrupt. I am 51 yrs old and will be able to start taking money from my pension fund in 4 years (original plan was to pay the creditors off with cash from my pension but the age was changed from 50 to 55 before you can start drawing a pension which stuffed me on that one).

So not sure what to do now. I don't have any spare cash as it has all been used paying things off but was considering trying to get a loan to pay Hamptons off as its hassle I could just do without at the moment. At this stage would there be additional fees (court fees) on top of the original debt? Chances of getting a loan at a descent rate with my credit history are pretty remote I think though.

Is it worth trying to negotiate a payment plan with Hamptons at this stage? Although I can afford a reasonable monthly payment, my worry is that they will demand an unreasonable amount that I don't have at the moment and will affect my ability to formulate a debt management plan with my other creditors.

I haven't done a CCA or SARS request yet. Is it too late to do one?

Can I get the petition withdrawn at this stage?

Any suggestions for my best course of action?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42man, many thanks for your reply. I have read through the thread you linked to and its slowly sinking in. I'll send a SAR to Capitol One and a CCA request to Lovells. The court told me the same thing i.e. that the paper work has to come from lovells.

Edited by Northernpug

OK well providing you get a half decent judge you should still be able to oppose the petition, if it was me in your position I would send off a CCA request to Lowells and the original creditor, and a SAR to the original creditor. The reason I say this is that you have to be seen to be making more than a reasonable effort to gain information. As for your defence to the petition then you need to submit this at least 7 days before the hearing, sending one copy with all associated paperwork to the court and the petitioner. I certainly would be fighting it. You have some time and I presume you haven't been served with the petition as yet either. - form 6.19, with an accompanying affadavit. If by the time of the submission of the documents you still haven't seen the petition you will need to do a small witness statement saying so..get the CCA requests off first and the SAR at this stage.

• 4 weeks later...

Have sent CCA request to Lowells and a SAR to original Creditor. Just re read the post above and notice I should have sent a CCA request to original creditor too which I didn't do.

Received a letter to say someone would be visiting me to serve the petition but was home at the appointed time and no one turned up.

Just awaiting responses now. Should I still send a CCA request to the original creditor?

Thank you for your reply Ford. Its been about a week since I sent the CCA request 1st Class recorded but track and trace is still saying that it is " being progressed through our network for delivery."

The SAR was sent at the same time and is also saying "progressing through our network" so not sure if it has been delivered or if the PO are slow to update the track and trace.

When does the 12+2 start? From the date I posted it or the date they sign for it?

Thanks for that Catquest. I'll assume that they have got it then. Phone calls from Hamptons have stopped since I sent it. Will wait and see what turns up in the post. Must have been back in the 80's that I took the card out so hopefully they may have problems finding a copy of the agreement.

they prob have got it. royal mail recorded signed for is renown for not being updated accordingly on their site even though it has been delivered. (could complain to RM about that, they'll prob offer a book of stamps as goodwill!)

if haven't received any response back from lowells just now re cca request, then to be sure could do one direct to the creditor within time for your hearing.

Are you sure that the SD was served correctly in the first place? Did a process server hand-deliver it or attempt to do so before Lowells posting it?

Lowells are notorious for irregularities, trickery and subterfuge.

• 2 weeks later...

12+2 days is now up and no sign of a CCA although Hamptons have confirmed that they have asked the original lender for it.

Should I now send an account in dispute letter?

I'm confused about where it says it has to be a copy of the original signed agreement before it can be enforced in court. I understand that they can provide a reconstructed copy to satisfy the request but what statute or precedent states that it has to be an original signed copy to be enforceable in court?

Thank you for your reply Mike 770 and I have Googled as well as spent many hours reading through the forum. My understanding of the the CCA1974 is that a creditor can supply a reconstructed agreement. What I want to know is where does it say that a CCA has to be an original signed copy for it to be enforceable in court.

Thanks, I was looking at some "OFT guidance notes" that were confusing me.

Position at the moment is I have received an acknowledgement from Hamptons following the CCA request saying they have forwarded it to the original lender. It is now over 12+2 days and nothing further received.

No reply from Capital One following SAR request.

No petition has been served. Was at home at a time the server said he would call to serve it and no one turned up.

Have received a letter from another DCA to say that as they have been unsuccessful in collecting anything, they are passing the case to Lowells which is a bit unnerving. Letter didn't state who the original creditor was so not sure who it was.

Edited by Northernpug

Will need to start working on a defence as hearing date is 2nd week of January and with the bank holidays, will need to get it submitted to court next week.

Still no copy of CCA received, no reply to SAR and no petition received.

If I am correct, it will not now be possible for them to serve the petition 14 days before the hearing as required by the Insolvency Rules 1986 rule 6.14(1) and rule 6.18(1) . If they send by post according to Civil Procedure Rules 1998 – Practice Direction on Insolvency Proceedings, paragraphs 11.5 , it will not be deemed to be served until 7 days after posting which will be less than 14 days before the hearing date.

Does this mean I can relax a bit as I have been getting a bit stressed about it?

In addition in my defence I will include no CCA and no reply to SAR (will post a copy of my draft when I've done it).

Have today received by courier a reply to my SAR request from Capitol One. Can't believe that they have included a copy of a letter from someone else totally unrelated including name, address telephone number and card number!

Information provided is:

screen shots which don't say much.

Copy of a default notice

Copy of Termination Notice

List of Debit/Payments (no copy statements)

A copy of the original signed application form which is not really readable.

There are no terms or conditions included.

Seems like my defence is now whittled down to non enforceable credit agreement, no assignment letter/deed and failure to serve the petition.

Please can somebody help me?

My defence so far:

Take not that I Northernpug intend to oppose the application to make a bankruptcy order on the following grounds:– 1) - The alleged debt is substantially disputed.

a) - The claimant is in default of a request for a copy of the credit agreement

The claimant has failed to provide an enforceable copy of the agreement despite a legal request made under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (attachment 1)

SECTION 78 (1) CONSUMER CREDIT ACT 1974

(1) The creditor under a regulated agreement for running-account credit, within the prescribed period after receiving a request in writing to that effect from the debtor and payment of a fee of £1, shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement (if any) and of any other document referred to in it, together with a statement signed by or on behalf of the creditor showing, according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer,—

(a) the state of the account, and

(b) the amount, if any, currently payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor, and

© the amounts and due dates of any payments which, if the debtor does not draw further on the account, will later become payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor.

The Consumer Credit Act in section 78(6) States that

(6) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—

(a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement;

For the avoidance of doubt the 2006 Consumer Credit Act does not change the above legislation……

The Consumer Credit Act 2006 (Commencement No. 2 and Transitional Provisions and Savings) Order 2007 (No. 123 (C. 6))

Citation

1. This Order may be cited as the Consumer Credit Act 2006 (Commencement No.2 and Transitional Provisions) Order 2007.

Interpretation

2. In this Order “the 2006 Act” means the Consumer Credit Act 2006.

Commencement

3. — (1) The provisions of the 2006 Act specified in Schedule 1 shall come into force on 31st January 2007.

(2) The provisions of the 2006 Act specified in Schedule 2 shall come into force on 6th April 2007.

Transitional Provisions

4. Subject to article 5, section 1 of the 2006 Act shall have no effect for the purposes of the 1974 Act, in relation to agreements made before 6th April 2007.

5. Section 1 of the 2006 Act shall have effect for the purposes of the definitions of “debtor” and “hirer” in section 189(1) of the 1974 Act wherever those expressions are used in—

(a)sections 77A, 78(4A), 86A, 86B, 86C, 86D, 86E, 86F, 129(1)(ba) 129A, 130A and 187A of the 1974 Act;

(b)section 143(b) of the 1974 Act in respect of an application under section 129(1)(ba) of that Act; and

©section 185(2) to (2C) of the 1974 Act insofar as it relates to a dispensing notice from a debtor authorising a creditor not to comply in the debtor's case with section 77A of that Act,

in relation to agreements made before 6 April 2007.

REFERENCE TO CASE LAW

1. As the creditor has not provided the credit agreement Wilson v First County Trust Ltd [2003] UKHL 40 states that:
    ‘….the effect of the failure to comply with the requirements of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 was that the entire agreement ………….. was unenforceable. The statutory bar on its enforcement extended to First County Trusts's right to recover the total sum payable on redemption, which included the principal as well as interest[.’

SUMMARY OF WILSON v FIRST COUNTY TRUST LTD (2003) UKHL 40

THE WILSON CASE MADE IT CLEAR THAT IN THE EVENT OF NO ACCEPTABLE CONSUMER CREDIT AGREEMENT THEN THE CREDITOR COULD NOT RECOVER MONIES OWED UNDER ORDINARY CONTRACT LAW REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THEY COULD PROVE THE DEBT EXISTED OR NOT – THIS WAS THE DECISION OF THE HOUSE OF LORDS AND SHOULD THEREFORE BE BINDING IN THIS COURT.

The defendant also refers to

PHOENIX RECOVERIES (UK) LTD SARL v DEVENDRA KOTECHA (2011)

CA (Civ Div) (Thorpe LJ, Lloyd LJ, Patten LJ) 26/1/2011

A creditor had failed to satisfy a debtor's request under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 s.78(1) for a copy of a credit card agreement as it had not, on the evidence, included the original, actual terms and conditions in respect of interestF:\Windows\TMP\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif rates then in force. The creditor was, accordingly, not entitled to proceed to enforce the debt under s.78(6).

"Interest rates were a term of central importance in credit card agreements. There was a strong case that the interest charges which would have been specified in the terms and conditions when B and K made the agreement in 1998 were those in the leaflet and not those which appeared in P's evidence. Under s.78(1), a creditor was required to set out the actual, original terms and conditions of the agreement at the time it was made. In those circumstances, P had not proved that that obligation was satisfied, and it was therefore not entitled to progress to enforce the debt against K under s.78(6)."

SERVICE OF THE PETITION

2) - The defendant would like it to be known to the court that in a recent written communication to the defendant a process server claimed to be delivering an item / items to me on (xxxx date) The defendant waited in all evening for the process server to come but can categorically state that no person whatsoever turned up that evening.

The defendant avers that the 'personal service' attempt is flawed and it is plainly clear that no service has been attempted whatsoever.

I refer to -

Judge Boggis QC - RE AWAN - [2000] BPIR 241

'In my judgment, bankruptcy is one of the most serious forms of execution that can be brought against a debtor. In any bankruptcy proceedings it is, in my view, absolutely clear that the provisions as to service must be followed exactly.

The defendant also wishes to make known the statutes in the Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regualtions 2008, and believes that the alleged creditor is in breach of statute

Offences relating to unfair commercial practices9. A trader is guilty of an offence if he engages in a commercial practice which is a misleading action under regulation 5 otherwise than by reason of the commercial practice satisfying the condition in regulation 5(3)(b).

Which clearly state...

Misleading actions

5.—(1) A commercial practice is a misleading action if it satisfies the conditions in either paragraph (2) or paragraph (3).

(3) A commercial practice satisfies the conditions of this paragraph if—

(b)it concerns any failure by a trader to comply with a commitment contained in a code of conduct which the trader has undertaken to comply with, if—

(i)the trader indicates in a commercial practice that he is bound by that code of conduct,

Interpretation2.—(1) In these Regulations—“average consumer” shall be construed in accordance with paragraphs (2) to (6);“business” includes a trade, craft or profession;“code of conduct” means an agreement or set of rules (which is not imposed by legal or administrative requirements), which defines the behaviour of traders who undertake to be bound by it in relation to one or more commercial practices or business sectors;“code owner” means a trader or a body responsible for—(a)the formulation and revision of a code of conduct; or(b)monitoring compliance with the code by those who have undertaken to be bound by it;

“trader” means any person who in relation to a commercial practice is acting for purposes relating to his business, and anyone acting in the name of or on behalf of a trade

The defendant refers to the code of conduct stated by the Credit Service Association of which Lowells are a member -

The code of conduct clearly states

q) Where a debt or the sum owed is disputed, as soon as is practicable, supply information to the debtor in support of the claim. Where no information has been supplied by the creditor, obtain the required support, or failing that cease

collection action.

b) Adhere to all relevant requirements under the Consumer Credit Act 2006 and any other

relevant legislation.

a) Conduct its business lawfully, comply with all relevant UK legislation, regulation and judicial decisions and trade fairly and responsibly.

c) Comply with this Code of Practice and follow any guidance notes issued by the Board of the Association

Comply with debt collection Guidance as Published by the Office of Fair Trading

...... Can't believe that they have included a copy of a letter from someone else totally unrelated including name, address telephone number and card number!

complaint time. if poss/happy to do so, advise the third party of creditors breach of the data protection act so that they can complain to the creditor and Information Commissioners Office. third party should get compensation on demand from creditor. you too could complain to creditor and ICO (cred should then contact the third party accordingly, but sometimes they don't!). you might also get compensation from creditor. (ICO doesn't award compensation)

Edited by Ford

Thanks Ford, I had thought that myself but it is the least of my worries at the moment. I have a possible hearing shortly after Christmas for a Bankruptcy petition. If made bankrupt I stand to loose my house plus everything else that happens with bankruptcy. It is worrying me to death. I haven't done any Christmas Shopping yet and trying my darn hardest trying to put together what I need to do for a defence. At the moment, Christmas is a non event.

Appreciate others on here may be enjoying Christmas festivities but at the moment I don't feel like I can afford that luxury. I was up until 4am this morning putting together a defence which mostly got wiped out when the SAR arrived today. Beginning to feel like the easiest way out of this would be to go to sleep and not wake up again.

yes, complaint on that is a side issue to be dealt with later. was just posting on it.

try not to worry, you'll get help here re the petition. have you considered legal solicitor help?

also, if feel cant/don't want to oppose petition then could try to come to some arrangement prior. bankruptcy is re an inability to pay debts. if someone is paying realistically towards an accepted arrangement then no current inability?

also, if disputing then say so as you say ie non payment is not re any inability.

Edited by Ford

Position at the moment is I have received an acknowledgement from Hamptons following the CCA request saying they have forwarded it to the original lender. It is now over 12+2 days and nothing further received.

still no reply? then is in cca request dispute. use their letter saying they are dealing with it as proof at hearing.

who is this other dca you mention?

No reply from Hamptons but a copy of the application form was included with the SAR.

The other DCA is BCW Group. Just had a look on Noodle and appears that Lowells purchased another Debt earlier this year but can't recall Lowells ever contacting me about it. It was a M&S Reserve account.