• Tweets

• Appreciate input Andy, updated: IN THE ******** County Court Claim No. [***] BETWEEN: LC Asset 2 S.A.R.L CLAIMANT AND [***] DEFENDANT ************ _________________________ ________ WITNESS STATEMENT OF [***] _________________________ ________ I, [***], being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;     I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim.   1. I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much-reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already written off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimant’s witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment. As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party. 2. The Claim relates to an alleged Credit Card agreement between the Defendant and Bank of Scotland plc. Save insofar of any admittance it is accepted that the Defendant has had contractual agreements with Bank of Scotland plc in the past, the Defendant is unaware as to what alleged debt the Claimant refers. The Defendant has not entered any contract with the Claimant. 3. The Defendant requested a copy of the CCA on the 24/12/2022 along with the standard fee of £1.00 postal order, to which the defendant received a reply from the Claimant dated 06/02/2023. To this date, the Claimant has failed to disclose a valid agreement and proof as per their claim that this is enforceable, that Default Notice and Notice of Assignment were sent to and received by the Defendant, on which their claim relies. The Claimant is put to strict proof to verify and confirm that the exhibit *** is a true copy of the agreement and are the true Terms and Conditions as issued at the time of inception of the online application and execution of the agreement. 4. Point 3 is noted. The Claimant pleads that a default notice has been served upon the defendant as evidenced by Exhibit [***]. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 5. Point 6 is noted and disputed. The Defendant cannot recall ever having received the notice of assignment as evidenced in the exhibit marked ***. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 6. Point 11 is noted and disputed. See 3. 7. Point 12 is noted, the Defendant doesn’t recall receiving contact where documentation is provided as per the Claimants obligations under CCA. In addition, the Claimant pleads letters were sent on dates given, yet those are not the letters evidenced in their exhibits *** 8. Point 13 is noted and denied. Claimant is put to strict proof to prove allegations. 9. The Claimant did not provide a true copy of the CCA in response to the Defendants request of 21/12/2022. The Claimant further claims that the documents are sufficient to pursue a Judgement and are therefore copies of original documents in their possession. Conclusion 10. Without the Claimant providing a valid true copy of the executed Credit agreement that complies with the CCA, the Claimant has no grounds on which to enforce this alleged debt. 11. The Claimant has been unjustly enriched at the expense of the Defendant by purchasing bulk debt at a greatly reduced cost and subrogating for the original creditor in trying to recuperate the full amount of the original debt 12. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. On receipt of this claim I could not recall the precise details of the agreement or any debt and sought clarity from the claimant by way of a Section 78 request. The Claimant failed to comply. I can only assume as this was due to the Claimant not having any enforceable documentation and issuing a claim in hope of an undefended default judgment.   Statement of Truth I, ********, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in it’s truth. Signed: _________________________ _______ Dated: _____________________
    • Morning,  I am hoping someone can help, I am posting on behalf of my friend so I will try and provide as much info as possible.  Due health reasons, she is currently not working and unable to pay her contractual car finance payments. She emailed 247 Money and asked for a 3 month payment holiday, they refused this straight away with no reasons as to why. They have told her that instead she can make a payment of £200. She is currently getting £400+ a month ssp so this is not acceptable. She went back to them and explained she cannot make this payment and they have not offered an alternative plan. Its £200 or she falls into default.  She is now panicking as she does not want her car to be taken away. What options does she have?  Thank you, 
    • Read these 6 things you can do to be empathetic to other people’s views and perspectives.View the full article
    • Peter Levy says he received a call from someone pretending to be from his bank in February.View the full article
    • Peter Levy says he received a call from someone pretending to be from his bank in February.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

SCS Sofa - Damaged After 10 Months - Pics Attached

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4127 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Afternoon all,

I am posting in anticipation really of what I might expect next week when the SCS Inspector comes to inspect our sofa. I have a number of complaints about it and its quality and dont want to get fobbed off with a stupid excuse.

We paid £1000 for the sofa last December on 12 months interest free and we also took out their 5 year warranty. Ironically we received a letter from Creation to settle the account before the end of next month the other day. We have the funds to do this but I am very reluctant to pay for the sofa in its current state, and dont really know where we stand.

We bought the 3 seater diablo recliner in black leather. After about 2 weeks the sofa is so light than when reclined it tips up really easily which meant that the connection at the bottom of the 3 sections of sofa have all broken off. So now I dont have a 3 seater sofa, I have 3 chairs pushed together :(

This though we could live with and did for many months. Until 2 weeks ago I lost the remote down the side of my arm and went searching. I couldnt believe it when I felt springs! What? I looked down I saw the cushioning sticking through the side of the seat :-( I cant quite believe the material the side of these cushions are made of! Its not even cotton! As you sit on the sofa it beds the seat down forcing the material to rip through this flimsy material at the side! I checked my wife's side and it was even worse than mine. I have attached a pic to give you an idea.

Not only this, where I sit the springs are very noisy and the seat has become uncomfortable. TBH its just a terribly made sofa.

What options do we have? We ofcourse want and need a sofa. We dont want this one repairing.....how can they repair that? Not only this, its just not built to last evidently. I just cant see it being as easy as "Yes thats fine, come in and choose another one" but I wont pay £900 for this!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice :)

(I was going to add the pic but I cant until 10 posts sorry, I will try and make that up soon so I can include it)

Just thought I would add,

It is an option I have thought of. As the sofa is in 3 bits I could drive it down to our local SCS and say I dont want it, there you go...swap it? Would that be a viable option? If they wont swap it, just leave it there and fight it from there?

I always look at the worst case scenarios because that is how they normally work out :(

Your 1st port of call is to let SCS know of this problem and tell them what you want as a solution. Keep things in writing. [email protected] is the CEO if you wanna go to the top :)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks Locutus mate,

Just quick update, the fault re the locking seat mechanisms is not there. Luckily I realised this the other day and linked the seats together before complaining they didnt lock together lol Unfortunately though, when I locked my seat to the middle one, the recliner mechanism jammed up meaning it wouldnt recline. New mechanism needed. (incidentally covered for 5 years :) )

To be fair the guy was really nice and obviously knew the problem of the cushion straight away. He said there was a problem with the making of the sofas and a Diablo Mk2 was released to combat this material rip problem. All due to the velcro on the arms apparently. It would be easy to show if I was able to upload pics so I will when I get to the post count obviously. It may help someone else down the line :)

The long and short of it is, he took some pictures and I wrote on the form that I wasnt happy with the sofa and even it was repaired I dont think it would be upto a satisfactory standard. Heres hoping they now swap it for the Diablo Mk2! The guy wouldnt say if they would or not...he said the repair is a long painful process so it would be just as easy to swap it so again, heres hoping!!

Thanks again. SCS appear to be very good at the moment both with their customer service and their call out. Lets hope the final outcome is the same !

Thanks for the update :) Lets know what they decide. I don't think you can complain about a "repair" providing the sofa you get back is durable and not going to need repairing again 10 months down the line. If they decide to repair, ask them how they are going to prevent this from happening in the future, else a refund would probably be a better solution :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Refund.....i like that sound of that! Not that I dont want a sofa and want the refund, but it would be nice to walk in a buy a brand new sofa obviously!

The guy said the "fix" on each chair as fair as he knows is about 1.5-2 hours so that means a good 5 hours to repair my sofa. They would do it at my house aswell as they dont take the sofa's away! Thats gonna cost me some in cups of tea if they go ahead lol

It would be nice for them to just say yep, you can swap it for a Diablo Mk2 or heres your £1000 back, go and choose another one............I can see the 5 hour fix personally lol

The fault is so simple its amazing the person who designed the sofa hasnt been sacked! It is as simple as putting the wrong sides of velcro on the wrong parts of the sofa. The arms of the sofa wrap around the side attaching with velcro. It is this velcro which is sticking to the side cushioning which has ripped it all forcing the stuffing out of the cushion. If they put the velcro the other way round or made the side of the cushion out of different material, job done easy! But nooo lol

Thanks again mate, I will let you now what is said

Hiya again lol

I have just telephoned SCS regarding the inspection of our sofa and the guy who came has now changed what he said to me and has ordered a repair for the sofa! I guess this is because upon further research SCS have come up with some kind of repair for the problem. The only trouble is

I am ill. The guy who inspected the sofa told me the fix for both arms would take 3 hours and then they would have to fix the mechanism! Speaking to SCS just now, the ONLY option I have is a fix in my house which to be completely honest, workmen in my house for upto 4 hours to fix a problem which is inherant on a sofa....really? Do I have to accept this?

SCS told me they are offering a repair and that is all they have to do. Even if I dont want it doing in my house then it is tough.....they have done their duty. Is this true then? They have brought out a Diablo Mk2 to stop this problem happening so it is an inherant fault.

I appreciate I may be sounding like, "why dont you just accept the repair" because I am ill and dont like people in the house like that. My wife cant take time off work to allow SCS sofa repairmen in and why should she have to do it on her day off?

IMO we want a swap for the Diablo Mk2 or a refund......what chance do we stand?

Thanks ofcourse as always

As it stands now I am considering putting in at in a van and driving it down to the shop as not fit for purpose.....how will this stand aswell lol?

e2a - nearly at 10 posts so i can show you the pics. they arent even that bad and the sofa sounds shocking but it isnt. The fact still remains though, its ripped with the stuffing sticking out due to poor design. What also concerns me is for the fix they will have to completely disassemble the sofa......will it really go back like before? Why should we even take the risk?

RE: uploading the image:

1st go to an online PDF converter (just google it... there are many free ones out there) and convert the image to a PDF file and save the PDF on your computer (I always save them to "desktop" so I can find them easier)

2nd press the "Go Advanced" button below the msg box on your CAG thread

3rd Click the "Manage Attachments" button below that (quite a bit below actually, you'll probably need to scroll down the page)

4th Click on the "Add Files" button at the top right

5th Navigate to your PDF file (on your "desktop" if you followed my example)

6th click "Upload Files"

Reguarding accepting a repair... what assurances have you got that this will fix the problem long term? Did you email the CEO as I said before? Remember that it's pretty easy for them to lie when it's not in writing :p I personally when sorting any dispute out keep everything in writing :p

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks again mate,

I have tried to upload the picture as you said and it is pending approval so may well appear! Cheers :) If it does it is like it on both chairs due to the wrap around arm which is attached via velcro. Said velcro ripping the side of the cushion open.

TBH we havent received anything in writing yet about the repair and that is why I havent done anything yet. I guess it will come in the post over the next couple of days and then I can start asking the questions how the repair will rectify the problem and stop it happening again. All in writing ofcourse.

I suppose I was just wondering if we can flat out decline the repair due to the fact it has to take place over 4 hours in our home. If it was a problem we cause then fair enough but its an inherent fault which a mk 2 has been brought out to stop happening. Repairable or not, it surely shouldnt be done on my time!

Thanks again mate

Thanks for your reply Kate

Unfortunately from the letter I have just received fro SCS, from SCS point of view (and maybe correctly I dont know) I quote "May we at this point advise you, due to the length of time you have had your furniture, we as a retailer do have the right to carry out any repairs as necessary" "In view of this can you contact our customer care team at your earliest convenience confirming you wish for ScS to resolve your concerns. Should we not hear from you within the next 14 days, we will assume you no longer require our assistance"

That to me basically means "A fix of 4+ hours in your own house or nothing". That isnt resolving my issues of being too ill for workmen to dismantle and reassemble furniture in my house is it?

I am going to go to your customer care pages now and look for some kind of details as to how the repair will be completed in order for it not to happen again and to start with if I am satisfied I am happy to bring my sofa down to the local store for your engineers to fix in front of all the customers but NOT in my own home. It is not a work place!

Thanks

For the purposes of this thread. I have now asked for details of the fixes they want to do and guarantees of how it will stop it happening again. Like I say, the problem is not huge like some people may encounter with their sofa.....but it is a recognised problem. I dont want them spending 4+ hours fixing my sofa in our house. I have a chronic illness and dont see this as a suitable option. I have gone back to SCS with this but I honestly dont know where I stand. If all SCS need to do is offer a repair and it doesnt matter where it takes place, I will choose their store front so atleast I can enjoy the use of a sofa for the 4 hours they spend fixing mine!

Hiya Kate, I just received an email with your response as follows which for some reason isnt here?

I already did last week and received an answering machine message this morning from SCS saying they have received my concerns and are looking into it and to expect an answer in the next few days. I guess maybe you have now found my account which is why you deleted your response.

For your info my acc number is - [EDIT]

Again, I do not see a long half day fix in my house as acceptable for an inherent repair. At the very least I require the offer of repair in writing detailing the repair, how it will fix the current problem and how evidence to show it wont happen again so I can atleast asses my options. I do have a chronic illlness (that is not a lie) and having sofa's fixed in my living room is just abit inconvenient as you can imagine. If it was my fault then fair enough I can accept that....but it wasnt.

Thanks for looking into this for me aswell. I really appreciate it Kate

Kind regards

Edited by ims21
Identifier removed and quoting of unapproved post removed

Keytiger

Be wary about taking up any offers of assistance from any allegedly official source in this respect as we have unable to verify this person's credentials. That is why their post is not allowed.

I have removed the quote from your posts above as well.

ims

• 2 months later...

Evening all,

I just wanted to update this thread incase anyone else reads it and wonders what the outcome was.

Well it was fun and took some arguing but we got there in the end. As you can see above, SCS claimed that the sofa could be repaired and would send someone out to repair it. When I asked them for details of exactly what the repair would entail, thats when things seemed to get tricky at their end. They first told me they would just recover the cushion that was damaged from the velcro. I telephoned them and advised that by doing this they will not be fixing the problem but hiding it for a month or so until the velcro rips again.

Finally after speaking to a few different people SCS finally acknowledged that the sofa is inherently damaged and they will have to speak to the manufacturer to see what they will do. A week or so later I received a phone call from SCS saying that the manufacturer have decided upon a complete exchange for a brand new sofa! The Diablo Mk 2 didnt apparently have this problem so they will just swap it over.

Being the ever inquisitive person I am I decided to take a drive to SCS to check out the Diablo Mk2 because I wasnt confident that the problem had been fixed and I wasnt waiting 10 weeks for the same sofa to come back.....and I am so glad I did!

We got there to find exactly the same design flaw in the Mk2. Even the sales person agreed it was badly designed.....at £900 I dont want bad design!! Anyway, the long and short of it is, we got a full cash refund and put that towards a La-Z-boy sofa instead which is getting delivered in a few weeks. We figured they should be better built than most of the other standard SCS sofas like the diablo.

Anyway, long and short of it is, I wouldnt have asked and fought so hard for the repair in writing if it wasnt for locutus taking the time out to answer my questions and give me some advice so a massive thankyou to you and this forum for helping me. It is really appreciated!