• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Has Work Programme ended with my JSA?

san_d

I had been on Work Programme since last April, then my JSA ended last month as I went abroad. Now my JSA has been reinstated but I have no news from the Jobcentre whether I should go back to the WP provider.

Tomorrow I have an interview for a job (wish me luck!).

1) If I get this job, do I still have to share information with my old WP provider? In other words if he calls me, do I have to give details and can he legally 'harass' my new employer?

2) Can/should I request a letter to withhold or withdraw consent from the Work Programme provider? Is it necessary or is it overkill?

Thank you all in advance.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

The providers are advised when you reclaim and they then get back in touch to start the appointments system again.

If you are successful with the new job then you can close your claim at the JCP (no furtheer job grant or housing/council tax run on paymejts unless you had been reclaiming for 26 weeks), so you could simply state no longer wish to claim on your ES40 card and then the providers will not be any the wiser :o

• 1 month later...

Update: my ex-Work Provider is still sending me letters inviting me to appointments which I obviously can't and won't attend. I have put a letter of mine into their mailbox informing I have signed off. Is this enough or can they make trouble if/when I am on JSA again?

You are contracted to their services for a period of two years and during that time even if you are no longer claimining JS they will still keep in regular contact wih you but it is supposed to be anagreed period of time between contacts and how he contact will be made (appointment at the Wp offices, telephone calls, emails or post), so they will try to keep in contact (afterall how will the know how to submit for the next chunck of the bonus if you remain in employment?)

I would simplly advise that you write explaining that at this momemt in time you are no longer signing for JSA and have no need for their service but will contact them if you have need to.

If you do then have need to sign on again they will be advised and you will be required to attend again as before.

I think the Work Programme is designed to 'keep track' of people in between appointments to sign on, it offers no real help other than to jobsearch under their noses, (you MUST put down on your JSA form that you have visited them, it makes a mockery of the job hunt process otherwise, besides it makes up part of your 'instructions' to get a job).

Once signed off there is no LEGAL obligation for you to provide information to them - especially if they were NOT responsible for you getting the vacancy - remember they exist to attain targets, you getting a job will have attained that target, and it is assumed that the Work Programme were directly responsible for this.

Yes, the system stinks and has its faults, being designed to 'trap' people who otherwise do not need help, had I not been put on the Work Programme I could have accessed some funding for my own company, because I was placed with a provider this is now not the case.

I would have no problem informing my ex-WP that I am currently working, I just fear that the 'bimbo' will go and stalk my current manager and make trouble as they usually do.

Can they issue or request issuing retroactive sanctions when I am on JSA if I don't give them my employer details?

By the way: all they need to do is to call the Jobcentre and ask them for my new employer. I told them when I signed off.

Can they issue or request issuing retroactive sanctions when I am on JSA if I don't give them my employer details?

No, as long as you complied with the terms of the WP while you were receiving benefits you'll be fine.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

They got round that one and if the information is provided and nothing is noted from the customer to state that no information is provided t the work programme, JCP have to inform the providers :(

Hmm, oh dear. So does that mean that WP clients signing off should make a point of informing JCP staff that no information is to be given to the provider?

Presumably they still can't retroactively sanction, though. Or can they?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yes if WP customers do not want the providers to know anything they should specify that no information is to be provided and that they do not give consent or the other way is declare that they have started work and leave all employer details blank.

If I am asked then I advise customers to declare they have started work but not to disclose any details and I tell them the reason behind my advise too, so far I have yet to encounter anyone who is pleased about the bonuses they can claim especially when they refuse to pay for anything apart from their travel expenses for attending job search and appointments.

Oh dear o dear! Now I'm proper confused. I don't mind them knowing where I work. I just don't want them to call my manager and say: " Mr San_d has just recommended you as a possible client of my pimp services...".

Oh dear o dear! Now I'm proper confused. I don't mind them knowing where I work. I just don't want them to call my manager and say: " Mr San_d has just recommended you as a possible client of my pimp services...".

Well, if they misrepresent you in that way you would have serious grounds for complaint.

Thanks Antone.

There are developments. My ex-WP agent has called me and has told me I qualify for a 'bonus' if I go the the branch and fill a form and tell them the name of my manager (it comes totally unexpected, doesn't it?).

I told him I need to speak to my manager first and ask him if he agrees to be contacted, which I will do shortly.

Now, I need this extra cash, but would it make it appear as if they had found the job for me? I would hate the idea that they are using this as a chance to show they are actually good at finding work, which indeed they are not. Or am I too fuzzy?

Thanks Antone.

There are developments. My ex-WP agent has called me and has told me I qualify for a 'bonus' if I go the the branch and fill a form and tell them the name of my manager (it comes totally unexpected, doesn't it?).

I told him I need to speak to my manager first and ask him if he agrees to be contacted, which I will do shortly.

Now, I need this extra cash, but would it make it appear as if they had found the job for me? I would hate the idea that they are using this as a chance to show they are actually good at finding work, which indeed they are not. Or am I too fuzzy?

It's up to you, I suppose. They want to contact your manager so that they can easily provide evidence to the DWP that they "found" you a job and so can be paid. If you do give them the contact information you can be sure that's how they'll use it.

My ex-WP agent has called me and has told me I qualify for a 'bonus' if I go the the branch and fill a form and tell them the name of my manager (it comes totally unexpected, doesn't it?).

They will be offering you the money they where given that was intended for a grant to you when you obtain work, to get(for simple example) work boots.

I would expect that the (now called ) "Bonus" will not only be for the information about where you work and who for, but also permission for them to contact your employer. Be careful of what you sign!

• 4 months later...

They will harass you as they would want to claim they helped you get the job and then go onto claiming 0000s at different stage, they will entice you by offering cash incentives to get a form filled out by your employer to show proof you work there....

• 5 months later...
No, as long as you complied with the terms of the WP while you were receiving benefits you'll be fine.

what are the terms exactly? has that ever happened? im afraid they might use any excuse to take money back now i signed off...

what are the terms exactly? has that ever happened? im afraid they might use any excuse to take money back now i signed off...

That's a very general question. Basically, you can't be retrospectively sanctioned - in other words, they can stop your benefits, but they can't demand back money they've already paid you. If you attended all compulsory Work Programme appointments chances are you did comply with the rules.