Unable to repair - do we need to accept a credit note?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4340 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We purchased some furniture 4 years ago from a large furniture retailer and it has developed a fault that they are unable to repair due to that line being discontinued. It has a 5 year structural guarantee but I am not sure whether we can also claim under the sales of goods act?

They have offered us store credit of approx 50% of the original purchase price or a cash settlement of approx 12.5% of the original purchase price.

Our preferred option would have been repair or replace as we do not have enough money available to spend the additional 50% required to buy new goods from the same store but as the supplier is not able to do this can we ask for the 50% store credit offer they have made us to be given in cash as this would increase our options considerably?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

The retailer is allowed to pick the cheapest option to them out of replacement, repair or partial refund (Under the SOGA). In this case it would be the latter which they have offered you, when offering they need to make a calculator to determine how much to offer. To do this they will take a timescale for which is should reasonably last to be of a satisfactory quality and work out how much lifespan it should have left.

I would say if its 4 years old with a 5 year guarantee that this figure should be 20% of the sale price in cash, their offer of 50% store credit therefore is more than reasonable, you can't insist on this offer in cash however, only to increase there offer upwards which I would imagine could vary between 15% - 30% depending on the exact age in months and what they would take as a reasonable timescale for use.

What is the fault and product, have you asked them how much it would be to repair or able to get a quote (as if you can find it cheaper that is always an option too!)

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.