Fake tax disk in a car we have just bought

aj101
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4330 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Any advice here would be much appreciated.

We bought a 2nd hand car on June 1st, which had a tax disk in the window, due to expire on June 30th, which was fine as we could re-tax it at the end of the month.

We have been to tax the car today and it turned out that the car isn't taxed, so we wondered what was going on. On closer inspection of the tax disk, it turns out that the tax disk that was in it, was for a different car altogether!!!! The tax on the car we bought actually expired on April 30th!!!!!!!!

Of course, the car tax we have just paid for doesn't come into force until July 1st so we now have an untaxed car which my husband needs to drive to get to work!!

Have we got any comeback on the person we bought the car from, as he told us that there was a month's car tax on the vehicle.

Thank you.

Hi, No one must drive the car and it must be kept off the

public road.

You should report the whole matter to the police they have

committed various offences here.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

why did you not tax it from 1st june then? once you knew it was a fake.

Suggest you go to local tax office and surreneder the one you got and take out new one from 1st June if you want to use the car.

Hi, No one must drive the car and it must be kept off the

public road.

You should report the whole matter to the police they have

committed various offences here.

Thankfully we have the car parked on our private driveway so it's not on a public highway, which is a blessing.

I have been advised to speak to trading standards on Monday morning so that is on the hitlist of things to do. I have a friend of mine doing a full HPi check for me on Monday morning as he owns a car dealership (forgot about that fact when we were looking for a car).

why did you not tax it from 1st june then? once you knew it was a fake.

Suggest you go to local tax office and surreneder the one you got and take out new one from 1st June if you want to use the car.

Because we didn't find out the disk was fake until this morning when we went to tax the car and as it is past the 15th of the month, they won't backdate a tax disk, I thought that was common knowledge.

Because we didn't find out the disk was fake until this morning when we went to tax the car and as it is past the 15th of the month, they won't backdate a tax disk, I thought that was common knowledge.

That sounds a little odd I have just aquired another car with no tax and the post office

issued a new disc date from 1June.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

The post office tried to put it through as being valid from the 1st June but because the REAL tax disk ran out on 30th April, the system wouldn't let them do it.

You then tax the car as a new aquisition, you can by a car at

any time in a month and get the tax back date to the beggining

of the month,otherwise newly purchased cars would often have

to wait nearly a full month to be able to use the car, someone

the Post Office? is upn the creek!!!!

It's not that someone at the PO is up the creek, it's the system wouldn't let them backdate it as the tax ran out in April and the car was never sorned.

This is besides the point, the point is this dealer sold us a car telling us it had tax until the end of June, and it turned out to be total bull and the tax disk was out of another vehicle altogether, so for 3 weeks we have been unaware that we have been driving the car with no road tax, and I am asking if there is anything we can do about the dealer, what I am not asking for is for someone to make me feel like a complete idiot when we have tried to make a bad situation legal again.

What I cannot understand is why the validity of the tax disc was not

checked on purhase, you may have a chance of reperation theough

the court system, unless the seller is a trader, trading standards may

not want to get involved but you can try.

Other than that confronting the seller face to face, which may not be

wise.

I checked the date on the tax disk when we went to look at the car to make sure that it was in date. Do you check the registration number on the disk matches the car when you go and buy one?? Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but when a dealer tells you that the car comes with a months tax on it, and the date on the tax disk reflects this, then it would be reasonable to say that there isn't any reason to doubt them about it. The advert on autotrader was down as a trader advert and he is also currently selling another car on gumtree, so Trading Standards WILL be getting a call from me on Monday. I have someone with 10 years plus experience in dealing with used cars who is running checks on the vehicle for me, so please can you stop making out that I am stupid and actually give a constructive answer that may help, or if that is not possible, then just don't comment.

Indeed I would check the validity of the tax disc and the VID against

the reg.docs.

As you say you are not stupid but you gave been deceived in this case

have you not.

It is the responsibility of the driver of a vehicle at all times to ensure that

it is roadworthy, is taxed, insured and if required has a valid MOT certificate.

I have given you consrtuctive advice based on the detail you have disclosed.

If the disc clearly was for another vehicle as is obvious on viewing the disc

then it should be challenged at the time of purchase.

Could the dealer by any chance have put the wrong tax disc in the holder?

Looks like he has because:

The tax on the car we bought actually expired on April 30th!!!!!!!!

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Looks like he has because:

Yes I had read that dw, my point was, had the dealer made a genuine error? Have you contacted them yet?

You also mention that you now have a friend doing an HPI check, isn't that a little late?

If PO wont tax the car, as I said go to local taxation office and they should sort it for you so you are legal, or you can wait till 1st july.

Just trying to be helpful so you get it on the road.

That will give you time to contact dealer and sort the problem out with him.

At the most you lost a months tax?

Must admit I check a car over when I buy it but never looked too close at the tax disk other than the expiry date. Although if I buy a motor from the likes of ebay which shows pics of the reg plate I always check the tax status online & cos I’m nosey the insurance status. If you have the previous MoT or the V5 doc number you can also check the MoT status and if t’s failed or had advisories over the years.

I didn’t think a post office could issue a tax disk for the following month more than 2 days before the end of the previous month unless you have the tax renewal form – in which you can then obtain a new tax disk from the 5th of the previous month. Regardless of when the tax actually ran out, I’m pretty sure that as the new keeper you fill in the forms giving the date you acquired the vehicle and can tax it from the beginning of the month you brought it. If the tax ran out in April and was never renewed or declared sorn then that’s a matter for DVLA and the previous registered keeper.

JUST cheked a V11 for this year 'Tax Expires 29/02/2012

earlisest renewal date 05/2/2012.

Any advice here would be much appreciated.

We bought a 2nd hand car on June 1st, which had a tax disk in the window, due to expire on June 30th, which was fine as we could re-tax it at the end of the month.

We have been to tax the car today and it turned out that the car isn't taxed, so we wondered what was going on. On closer inspection of the tax disk, it turns out that the tax disk that was in it, was for a different car altogether!!!! The tax on the car we bought actually expired on April 30th!!!!!!!!

Of course, the car tax we have just paid for doesn't come into force until July 1st so we now have an untaxed car which my husband needs to drive to get to work!!

Have we got any comeback on the person we bought the car from, as he told us that there was a month's car tax on the vehicle.

Thank you.

Ok - back to the original post.

Drop an email to the seller and see what he comes back with first off and then you can decide what action and how far you want to take this depending on how/if he answers.

The car is obviously worth less with no tax or is certainly less attractive to a buyer.

If there is something amiss aj, Autotrader should be told as well.

Another thing which I have not seen in any of the posts, was there any finance associated with the purchase or any part of the price paid with Credit Card or Visa?.

If there was then you have additional avenues.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS