• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Can I appeal my dismissal after admitting gross misconduct? Police officer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4123 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm obviously trying to go through other channels but really would appreciate some advice from anyone who can help.

Up until recently I was a Police officer (PC) - This does not mean I know every bit of the law inside out and certainly not employment law.

I've recently been dismissed at a misconduct hearing after admitting gross misconduct.

I feel I have grounds for appeal but It's been indicated to me that due to the fact that I admitted gross misconduct, I now CAN'T appeal the sanction of dismissal to the Police appeals tribunal. IS THIS CORRECT???

I've copied below a part exert from the Police appeals tribunal rules 2008 - The bit in red is what I'm interested in because there is a part where it says 'A police officer may not appeal to a tribunal against the finding referred to in paragraph(2)(a), (b) or © where that finding was made following acceptance by the officer that his conduct amounted to misconduct or gross misconduct (as the case may be).

The bit in red lists 3 circumstances (the grounds for appeal under this rule are) 1. where the sanction was unfair, 2 new evidence has come to light or 3 a breach of procedures -

I believe that the sanction was unfair and also that there was a breach of process so my question is ..

CAN I APPEAL THE SANCTION on those 2 grounds even after admitting gross misconduct???

Circumstances in which a police officer may appeal to a tribunal

—(1) Subject to paragraph (3), a police officer to whom paragraph (2) applies may appeal to a

tribunal in reliance on one or more of the grounds of appeal referred to in paragraph (4) against—

(a) the finding referred to in paragraph (2)(a), (b) or © made under the Conduct Regulations;

or

(b) the disciplinary action, if any, imposed under the Conduct Regulations in consequence of

that finding,

or both.

(2) This paragraph applies to—

(a) an officer other than a senior officer against whom a finding of misconduct or gross

misconduct has been made at a misconduct hearing; or

(b) a senior officer against whom a finding of misconduct or gross misconduct has been

made at a misconduct meeting or a misconduct hearing; or

© an officer against whom a finding of gross misconduct has been made at a special case

hearing.

(3) A police officer may not appeal to a tribunal against the finding referred to in paragraph

(2)(a), (b) or © where that finding was made following acceptance by the officer that his conduct

amounted to misconduct or gross misconduct (as the case may be).

(4) The grounds of appeal under this rule are—

(a) that the finding or disciplinary action imposed was unreasonable; or

(b) that there is evidence that could not reasonably have been considered at the original

hearing which could have materially affected the finding or decision on disciplinary

action; or

© that there was a breach of the procedures set out in the Conduct Regulations, the Police

(Complaints and Misconduct) Regulations 2004(

a), Schedule 3 to the Police Reform Act

2002(

b) or other unfairness which could have materially affected the finding or decision

on disciplinary action.

THANKYOU very much for taking the time to read this any quick responses would be unbelievably appreciated.

Wel it certainly seems from the wording that you can't appeal.

I find that this is extrordinaliry unfair because it doesn't allow for degrees of misconduct or for the circusmatnces to be taken into consideration.

It fetters discretion and removes the right of appeal which I would have thought was a human rights issue.

Therefore, I would be contacting the union to see if there are other ways of dealing with it.

I don't know what the rules are for the police. Are you prevented from going to an Industrial Tribunal?

If your dismissal is unfair then an IT would have th power to make its own decision regardless of the internal police rules.

I can imagine that if the police thought that their inernal rules were coing to be criticised by an IT, that they would pay out rather than contest it. However it wouldn't prevent your dismissal.

If the jurisdiction of an IT was excluded by some statute or other, then I have noe idea what further action you could take

This is not a human rights issue.

The police have several clauses which do not apply to general public roles and this is one of them. Falls under "you had the right to research it before you took the job or committed the offense."

Your problem is that having admitted a gross misconduct, and one of the common sanctions for a gross misconduct being dismissal, that falls within the range of "reasonable things an employer would do." So unless half a dozen other PCs in identical circumstances were given a lesser sanction and your union knows about this and will support you - you are not going to get anywhere. And there are very rarely identical circumstances.

(they are also now called ETs not ITs)

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

ps if you did not do it why did you admit it?

if you did do it why do you feel you should not be sanctioned?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

You can always appeal, the ACAS guidelines to Disciplinary and Grievance procedures allow you to appeal in all circumstances.

After you have admitted the gross misconduct, I would not expect the appeal to be successful unless you have some major mitigating issues. I am guessing that you are appealing the decision rather than the circumstances that led to a disciplinary meeting. If you can argue that what you did was wrong, but the wrong decision was made to dismiss you and you believe you should have been given a warning or something etc.

The Police still have to abide by the employment laws, I would speak to ACAS to get the decision "from the horses mouth" so to speak. Meanwhile - i do not believe you have anything to loose by sending an appeal in?

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

Hi advice needed,

Sorry to hear about your dismissal. I must admit I thought it was very rare (mainly discrim issues) that a police officer could complain to an ET .

This is because a PC, "...is not an 'employee' within ERA 1996; he is not even a 'worker' within TULR©A 1992 or other recent legislation. But by special enactment a police officer is deemed employed by his chief constable or by his police authority for the purposes of the SDA 1975 (s 17) and the RRA 1976 (s 16).. "

I would contact your Union.

Best of luck

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

Hi

The best thing to do would be to seek Independend legal advice and also get your local Parliamentary MP involved.

Also ,If you were paying subscriptions to the Police Federation then they should provide all legal assistance including representation.

I suggest that you also contact the Independent Police support group on:

0844 504 1832

Good luck

Edited by madari

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your constructive comments. Yes I it the decision/sanction of dismissal that I wish to appeal and not the circumstances.

Bascially I have received a criminal conviction (I do not wish to go into details) but it is not a conviction that would automatically preclude me from being a police officer i.e. It not a matter of dishonesty, serious violent crime etc. In my Police force alone, I know that there are roughly around 40 officers in the last 6 or so years that have received the same conviction and kept their jobs & received lesser sanctions, written warning, final written warning and pre 2008 reduction in rank, fine. Again pre 2008 there were some officers required to resign and also officers that did appeal to the relevant police authority after dismissal who got their jobs back, surely some of these officers admitted to misconduct or gross misconduct? There are also officer that have lost their jobs over this matter or who have resigned.

The bottom line is that at a Police misconduct hearing you are always most likely to lose your job but I would hope at and idependant appeal, they would be more considerate to all of the individual circumstances and previous good character.

If I can appeal then I need to do this within 10 working days.

If you will, would you please have a look at these 2 links as I now believe I am on to something, from the wording it looks as if I can't appeal against the finding of gross misconduct as I admitted it but I can appeal against the disciplinary outcome/action/sanction (in this case dismissal)

Please let me know if you agree??

LINK1

CAN'T POST LIINK! This is a link to The Police appeals tribunal rules 2008 some of what I posted in my orignal post and it is mainly point 4 which makes it looks as if I have an impossible task of being able to appeal in the first instance??

LINK2

CAN'T POST LINK - The relevant part is the first or top attachment at the bottom of the page (ANNEX C) it is home office guidance on the police appeals tribunal and again the wording suggests that I can appeal against the outcome?

To save time for you, I've past the relevant part of the 2nd link below.

2. Scope

2.1 A police officer has a right of appeal to a Police Appeals Tribunal against any disciplinary finding and/or disciplinary outcome imposed at a misconduct hearing or special case hearing held under the Police (Conduct) Regulations 2008. Senior police officers, in addition, have the right to appeal to a Police Appeals Tribunal against any disciplinary finding and/oroutcome imposed at a misconduct meeting. A police officer may not appeal to a tribunal against a finding of misconduct or gross misconduct where that findingwas made following acceptance by the officer that his or her conduct amounted to misconduct or gross misconduct (as the case may be).

Please let me know your thoughts?

EMMZZI - I've admitted gross misconduct by virtue of the fact that I've received a criminal conviction, I do believe I should be sanctioned but I do not believe dismissal is fair given due regard to all of the circumstances and that is what I'd like to appeal/argue.

I've just got a message stating that I can't post a link as I'm a new users with less then 10 posts but have posted the relevant section anyway. If anyone is interested, it will take a couple of mins to go to the home office website and go to circular 26 of 2008

Thanks very much

have you exhausted the entire pre-tribunal options open to you?

We have established that police guidelines say you cannot go to tribunal

Are there any appeal options open to you before tribunal? Like a "stage one appeal"?

I will look into it but after dismissal, I don't believe there are any options available other the police appeals tribunal, certainly nothing in between. There may well be options after a tribunal or failed appeal at some higher level or MP involvment which I'm also looking into

Post #8 of this thread, I've stated that I now believe that the police guidelines will allow me to appeal the disciplinary outcome (dismissal) but not the finding of gross misconduct, from the bit I've pasted in post 8 which is 2. scope, do you agree?

Cheers

I honestly would just appeal and see how they reply for now.

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

you need help from someone versed in this very specifc bit of HR. Unlessa police HR person or lawyer is here (unlikely) you really are better off with madari's suggestion above.

Surely if there are instances of other police officers keeping their jobs after the same gross misconduct then the police force are not being consistent in their treatment - you could appeal on those grounds perhaps ?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi

This PDF is the explanatory memorandum Police:

Also I know you probably dont want to name what force you are on an open forum so just type you force with disciplinary procedures into a search engine and see what that brings up as done this myself and was confronted with virtually all the different forces individual procedures.

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

been there and still going through it, I was dismissed in April 12 and currently appealing to the PAT. I didn't admit anything (nothing to admit to), had no previous misconduct (20 years), off duty incident, never suspended, no days sick in 7 years initially assessed as NFA only for senior management in PSD to change it and a subsquent hearing in which I was instantly dismissed by the ACC whom wasn't the chair but more like the prosecutor! Barristor stated in 20 yrs he has seen nothing like it. I and many others in total shock and believe this was nothing more but to help balance the books.

It does appear since 2008 regs have come into Force it makes it much harder to appeal or at least get an appeal, we are not employees and have little on our sife. If they want to make it stick they will, budget cuts = more dismissals!

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my post, am fairly new to this forum so am unable to private msg you as my post count is only 5 but just wondered if I could ask you what force you were dismissed from and what grounds you are using at the PAT, are you being funded by the fedration? I've just put in my notice of appeal (within 10 working days of written confirmation of dismissal) and am awaiting the transcript before submitting my grounds for appeal.

Also wondered what reasons were given for your dismissal and what reading you blew on the EBM?

Would be interested in talking to you.

Hi

I have tried to send you private email address so we could speak private but post wont let me, dont really want to discuss my reasons for appeal on line etc. My barrister has put grounds in for all 3 areas, and I was not covered by the fed as I was off duty, but I had Group accident scheme via ARC legal that covered the hearing cost (£5000+). I have had to pay £600 for advice on my grounds to the barrister as this was not covered but if I get a PAT this will be covered. I was not drink drive, the force is the Northest one in England!

cheers

Hi

What has the Federation said about it all? Normally if there is an element of unfairness about the sanction they will help out.

The post of Constable is deemed to be an 'office holder' which is why there are separate regulations governing Police. In my experience sanctions can be different from case to case even if the actual disciplinary offence is the same. In your case the mere fact that you were convicted of a criminal offence in the magistrates court, the disciplinary offence is the fact you were convicted. They could not do you for the facts around the act of criminality so they make the act of conviction for that act the reason they discipline you.

All that means is that story behind that conviction becomes relevant to the matter of sanctions, hence why one officer keeps his job but you have lost yours. Obviously the facts around your story is relevant, and that might actually just mean that your CC has toughened his stance against his staff that err. As gaznat says you are an easy target when the CC has to find budget cuts.

My advice, if the Federation are not backing you, get out and devote your energy into your own business. You will be amazed with what you can achieve.

• 2 months later...

Good news - let us know how it goes!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

• 3 months later...

Hi Gaznat123,

just wondering how you managed to extract £5k out of Arc legal?

I have another thread on here, questioning their limit on claims. the policy wording states upto £50k cover, so when my employment claim was accepted by arc they only gave me a £1500 limit, which is pretty useless really.

Just wondering how they calculated £5k for your claim, be interested to know.

Cheers

BB