style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4365 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wonder how the ET would view a respondant that has outdated policies that arent shared and agreed by employees? Would lack of effective policies contribute to unfair dismissal? Also, how would ET view employer that doesnt abide by company policy? Hope this makes sense!

Hi Kc

Sorry to hear about the dismissal.

The post is written in general terms, so I'll try and give you a 'general' answer.

For an employer to fairly dismiss an employee, (who is eligible to bring a unfair dismissal claim), generally speaking the dismissal must be for a fair reason (the substantive part) and the employer must also have followed a fair process, the procedural part.

"Even where an employer has established that the reason for dismissal is potentially fair, the dismissal may be found to have been unfair where the employer has failed to follow a fair procedure. Employers must follow the Acas Code of Practice on Disciplinary and Grievance procedures"

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2174

If the employer's 'policies' you refer to had contractual force and were not followed there could also be an 'underlying' breach of contract that could lead to an employee having certain claims related to said breach.

Sometimes procedural unfair dismissal claims can leave an employee with a reduced award though - google Polkey Deduction

A bit more information may help. Is a claim being considered by the dismissed employee?

Che

Even if you

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

What do you mean by outdated policies?

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)