Try to find debts or keep quiet??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4372 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I really do not know how to proceed with my problem so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have been living in Spain for the past 10 years and still have my HSBC account and a Tesco credit card that I have always been up to date with and they are no problem at all. Over the time here though, due to diminishing funds and no work I have defaulted on 2 other credit cards and did not make the last 2 payments on a Barclayloan. I have had letters from varying collection agencies that I have ignored over the past few years. In fact the debts seem to have changed hands quite a lot.

I am now in the process of selling up to move back to UK. I will have some funds after the sale of my house, but not enough to buy again once in UK. As I will have some money I am wondering whether I should try to trace whoever has bought my debts and make an offer to repay, or whether to just keep quiet and hope they go away. I have not had any correspondence from anyone in about a year and I have not replied to anyone in about 3 years. As I still have my HSBC account (been a customer for about 30 years) and my Tesco Credit card (had for about 15 years) these 2 institutions will have my new address once I get one in UK. Will whoever now owns my old debts be able to follow a trail and find me once I have moved? Should I approach them first or just keep quiet?

I do not know what my credit report has listed against me as any time I have tried to register to view it I cannot get past the fact I do not have a UK post code.

Hi

In the end, the choice will be yours but in my opinion, why do the donkey work when they can?

Once they have located you, you will be in a better position to know what debt has been sold, what debt is being collected on behalf of the creditor and which debt is still with the creditor.

I would concentrate on getting settled here first before even thinking of sorting this out. Make sure that when they do contact you that you have ALL the facts before making any offer

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Agreed,

A good start is checking the main Credit Reference Agencies,

Experian, Equifax and Call Credit (Noddle).

This wil help you to establish the age of the debt,

default dates and ownership of the debts now.

Experian and Equifax have 30 day free trials, Noddle

from CallCredit it always free but seems not to as uptodate

as the others.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thanks for the responses.

Firstly I am worried about the 'getting settled' bit. Once I get back to UK I will need to rent somewhere and I expect all landlords look into credit references. So this could prove to be a stumbling block as I am sure I do have details registerd against my name but I cannot access them to see. As I posted, I am unable to get access to my credit records because when I fill in the details on line I cannot get past the fact that I do not have a UK address. each website sends me back to the 'postcode' that is not recognised. Any ideas please?