• Tweets

• Ok thanks for that, well spotted and all duly noted. Yes they did eventually submit those docs to me after a second letter advising them I was contacting the ICO to make a formal complaint for failing to comply with an earlier SAR that they brushed off as an "administrative error" or something. When I sent the letter telling them I was in contact with the information commissioner to lodge the complaint, the original PCN etc quickly followed along with their excuse!
    • its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
    • The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Where to take my MBNA claim???

Guest alan703
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4260 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest alan703
Hi

There was a slight flaw in the formulae which affected some (not all) cases. Sadly yours was the one that highlighted the rounding error...never seen it before but it should be fixed now. So no it wasn't you.

Good news about os looking at the charges side of things....you must have a silver tongue because they don't normally look at those, especially for more than six years ago.

We (as CAG) would be interested to see how that pans out so please keep us updated on that front as it could be useful to other claimants.

:-)

That's my donation to make the site better then. If I win my cases, I will transfer some beer tokens :)

What do you guys do for a living? Money people, or just well in the know?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do you guys do for a living? Money people, or just well in the know?

Ah now that would be telling :lol:

Just ordinary folk trying to help others in our spare time :-)

Guest alan703

SAR ARRIVED!!!

Potentially incomplete.

Within 10 minute I have found

1. The terms and conditions - I have attached showing 19.9% - so is that not the rate the associated interest is calculated at?
    2. They advised me they had no record of my previous credit limits - it's all here, even me asking to raise them.
    3. One of the PPI claim reference numbers and associated information is missing.
    4. The other claim reference number is missing letters - primarily the one that rejected the claim in the first instance.
    5.As this "missing" information hides the fact that they mixed up my account numbers/claims/reference numbers, and that they rejected my claim when they new they should have paid - not to worry - I have ALL the originals
    6. My section 78 arrived in the same envelope - but ONLY FOR THE LOAN, and MISSING THE CREDIT AGREEMENT & APPLICATION FORM. It only contains a printout of payments (that is I could draw up in 2 minutes in excel.) It only contains a copy of my transaction history, which is the said printout, and account notes.
    7. My credit card transaction list has been supplied, only dating back to 23/11/98 - So if they produce evidence of PPI or no PPI before then - they have not fully complied with the SAR, and should award me an estimated claim for that time?

Everything is in no particular date order either

So before I dig in even further, waht are your thoughts?????

MBNA Terms and Conditions 001.jpg

Those appears to be the standard terms and conditions....LOOK to section 13d....it amounts to knowledge of the DEBTOR will be brought to the attention of the INSURER ...but not the other way round!!!

I used this and they quickly banged in an offer.....but the offer was on the low side and so I have counter offered with a little help from site members..

This is a MAJOR FLAW in those TERMS for that period and whenever they were used for PPI

Edited by means2anend

Guest alan703
Those appears to be the standard terms and conditions....LOOK to section 13d....it amounts to knowledge of the DEBTOR will be brought to the attention of the INSURER ...but not the other way round!!!

I used this and they quickly banged in an offer.....

This is a MAJOR FLAW in those TERMS for that period and whenever they were used for PPI

Where is 13d? I can only see up to 12?

I signed this on 1/05/1998

Guest alan703
Your document is too small to see...the one I was reading was one I did for a friend dated approx 2002...can you enlarge this doc

Not sure how, and scanning at 1000dpi instead of 300 is just froz my scanner lol

You should see the PPI tick box!!!

You can safeguard your payments against the effects of life's unpredictable events with our Payment Protection Cover. Premiums are calculated each month at just 68p per £100 of your statement balance, protecting your payments should you become unable to work due to accident, sickness or unemployment. Life cover is also included, paying off your balance up to £15000. You should be eligible for cover if you are aged 18 to 64, employed and not aware of any impending unemployment. If you'd like to take advantage of this valuable, low cost peace of mind, just tick the Yes box

SHOULD!!!!!

MBNA Terms and Conditions 002.jpg

Section 13d -'We may reveal your personal information to

• if you arrange insurance through us,that insurer

This is NOT the same thing as saying knowledge of INSURER will be brought to the debtors mind.....it's all in the small print you need to read it all and then it will make sense

The fact of insurance is not mentioned anywhere else in the standard terms and conditions....

Have a look to see if you have similar in your t&c's

Guest alan703

try this one

OK, I give up - someone needs to tell me how to do it.

Basically it says

Retail transactions 19.9%

Cheques for first 6 months - 9.9%

Cheques after 6 months - 19.9%

Cash transactions first 6 months - 11.9%

Cash transactions after 6 months (including handling fee) - 21.8%

So what rate should my PPI be refunded at??

MBNA Terms and Conditions 002.jpg

Edited by alan703
Didn''t work.

Guest alan703
Section 13d -'We may reveal your personal information to

• if you arrange insurance through us,that insurer

This is NOT the same thing as saying knowledge of INSURER will be brought to the debtors mind.....it's all in the small print you need to read it all and then it will make sense

The fact of insurance is not mentioned anywhere else in the standard terms and conditions....

Have a look to see if you have similar in your t&c's

If I said it actually says financial and related conditions at the top, would that mean they never gave me terms and conditions either?

Guest alan703
What about the other side?

Other side? My application "Priority Request Form", which shows

1. Name

2.Your card "Silver Visa Card" selected

3. Personal Details

4. Your Home

5. Your Employment

6. Current Income

7. Other borrowing (nil at time)

8. For your Securtiy - mothers maiden name

9. Additional cardholder

10. Your Bank Details

11. Safeguard your Payments

12 Principal cardholders application and declaration

Right to cancel

regulated by consumer credit act 1974

I have no other information. no shiney leaflets either :(

If I said it actually says financial and related conditions at the top, would that mean they never gave me terms and conditions either?

Your agreeement having been signed in 1998 is governed by the Agreements regulations 1983 and as such MUST be headed Credit Card Agreement Regulated By The Consumer Credit Act 1974

the 'financial and related conditions are simply another section that contains the prescribed terms i.e APR,rate of interest etc...

WITHIN the whole of that Agreement...it also looks like they have just copied and pasted those sections together higgledy piggledy....

jpg files won't come out right. They will always be too small. Best way is to convert them to PDFs...use this method to post up PDF files

Dx100 – Instructions on uploading pdfs

scan the required letters/agreements/sheets

as a picture file

remove all pers info inc barcodes etc using paint

but leave all figures and dates.

go to one of the many free online pdf converter websites

convert the image to pdf format.

or ir you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

open a new msg box here

hit go advanced below the msg box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

NB:you can set where it goes in the post by hitting insert inline.

the hit reply button

The rate you should use for the claim is the purchase rate. If it changed during the life of the account then use the average of the purchase rate.

In relation to the loan agreement, did you ask for it in the SAR? Some lenders don't send them out but you may be able to get the figures perhaps over the phone or by simple letter.

As regards the T&Cs I wouldn't get bogged down in them for the PPI claim.

Guest alan703

Section 7 – Data Protection Act 1998

Dear Paul-Wyn Williams

I am in receipt of the documents you have supplied in response to my Data Protection Act information request dated 8th May 2012. The disclosure of personal data is incomplete in that at least the following documents are missing

1. It contains no credit agreement for account ****************

2. It contains no credit agreement for account ****************

3. It contains no terms and conditions for either account - although Financial and related conditions are attached for account ****************

4. It contains none of my email correspondence regarding my PPI claims.

5. It contains no record of the amended PPI claim I sent via FAX on 15th March 2012 containing account numbers.

6. It contains no record of the above PPI claim that was posted on 15th March 2012 and received on 16/03/2012.

7. It contains no record or correspondence regarding PPI claim reference ******.

8. It does not contain the rejection letter for claim ****** dated 27 April 2012 for account ****************, which is the same account number you then used for claim ******, and sent me a letter on 2nd May 2012 stating I had PPI on the account, and my claim would not be upheld. Further stating that PPI was still active on the account, even though the account was sold on 10th May 2005.

9. It contains no record of claim ******

10. You have failed to provide a complete list of transactions and charges. It contains no transactions prior to 23/11/98

11. The abbreviations KEY contains very few of the abbreviations used on the account notes.

This is not an exhausted list by any means, it is just an example of some of the information I am missing.

Accordingly, I have to tell you that you have not yet complied with your obligations under the DATA Protection Act 1998.

The time for compliance with my request has now expired. If you do not comply fully with my Subject Access Request within 7 Days, I shall apply to the County Court for an order to enforce compliance, together with damages at the discretion of the court.

Yours Sincerely,

See what this gets back

So I can be sharp - How do I apply to the court for compliance?

Guest alan703

Not so fussed about the terms, posted it in the hope you would agree my claim should be at 19.9%, but they made no ref to interest on PPI.

the interest rate changes are only noted on account notes. 05/98 to 05/00. There is only on ref to the actual rate being dropped for 2 months. But a few entries that look like a daily rate change CAMPAIGN, but does not state how long for.

They have sent me no evidence there was no PPI on my loan, no details of how long it was over, or the rate it was at.

MBNA Terms and Conditions 001.pdf

Guest alan703

In relation to the loan agreement, did you ask for it in the SAR? Some lenders don't send them out but you may be able to get the figures perhaps over the phone or by simple letter.

Just read it, no I never asked for the agreements. However, the Complaints Department who I have been speaking to on email were aware I wanted them, they also informed me

Thank you again for your recent e-mail. I can confirm that as part of your SAR request we follow strict guidance as set out in the Data Protection Act.(DPA)

Please find below a list of what is normally included with a SAR request.

· Agreement

· Transactions

· Credit Card application details

· Any secure messages

· Account notes

· Archived account notes

· Any correspondence held by the bank across all departments

Before the SAR I sent of section 78 requests. The loan one has been answered, in the same envelope as the SAR, but does not contain an agreement either.

Chase it up with them. If they cannot provide the agreement you want the figures from it. We have seen cases where this information is easily available via phone or e-mail.

Guest alan703
Chase it up with them. If they cannot provide the agreement you want the figures from it. We have seen cases where this information is easily available via phone or e-mail.

I have sent them an LBA and CC'd the FoS and their CEO. I have given them 7 days to comply.

Then i'll be seeking your advice on how to cost them money by taking them to court for non compliance. I have banned them from communicating by telephone, as I want a record of everything discussed, as they do not say the same thing twice.

They are already trying to shun me off because my claim is with the FoS, rather than just answer my simple questions about why there has been so many mix ups.

Guest alan703
Hi

There was a slight flaw in the formulae which affected some (not all) cases. Sadly yours was the one that highlighted the rounding error...never seen it before but it should be fixed now. So no it wasn't you.

Good news about os looking at the charges side of things....you must have a silver tongue because they don't normally look at those, especially for more than six years ago.

We (as CAG) would be interested to see how that pans out so please keep us updated on that front as it could be useful to other claimants.

:-)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?353655-MBNA-Charges-as-a-result-of-PPI-inflating-balance&p=3869384&viewfull=1#post3869384

Guest alan703

http://fsahandbook.info/FSA/html/handbook/DISP/App/3/9

In assessing redress, the firm should consider whether there are any other further losses that flow from its breach or failing that were reasonably foreseeable as a consequence of the firm's breach or failing, for example, where the payment protection contract's cost or rejected claims contributed to affordability issues for the associated loan or credit which led to arrears charges, default interest, penal interest rates or other penalties levied by the lender.

Now if I read that right - it opens a door to get my charges back WITH my PPI claim

In essence that's right but the lender will probably not be open with you on this point.

In addition, if they did take it into account they would only refund charges which they consider would not have been applied as a result of the PPI. They will not refund the ones that they consider would have arisen had the PPI not been applied.

This is why there is the suggestion that a charges reclaim is done separately because they are unlawful however they arose and you should be looking to get all of them back.

Guest alan703

Yeah, I get you, I just stumbled across this.

If I cross check my revised statements, with my charges - none of the charges would be valid, so my claim is 100% in that aspect.

My separate "credit card penalties" claim is launched anyway. Which is MORE valuable, as I am not restricted to the 8% simple interest?

However, I am going to keep that FSA handbook in my back pocket for the time being, just so all is not lost should they try the 6 year thing, or just beat me around the bush.