Insured car in spouses name?

wessex100
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4507 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As long as you are a named driver on her policy or her policy is 'any driver ect' then no.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

SS, the issue isn't with the insurance policy being in his wife's name, just his wife being the RK of the vehicle that he drives/insures

Hi All

Does it matter that the car i am insuring is registed in my wife,s name? i have just noticed, have i been driving uninsured?

Thanks in advance

No it doesn't, but you should have told the insurance company of this fact when they asked you details when senting up the policy. i.e. one of the questions would have been "do you own the vehicle", and another "are you the registered keeper". This fact does not usually affect the quotation they give, especially when the relationship is husband/wife, but as we all know, you shouldn't give an insurance company the tiniest loophole to get out of making any payment should you be unfortunate enough to have an accident.

Most insurers will accept a policyholder and registered owner as different people, however some may not quote so it is better to put the policy in your wifes name and you pay the premium.

If you are the main/regular driver of the car, make sure your insurer is aware of this as this would potentially cause issues if there was a claim.

In general, as long as you have declared the circumstances you should be fine.

ACEMAN1974

I own a number of cars which are used by other drivers as the "main driver". I pay all the insurances and correctly declare where the cars are parked and the name and details of the other drivers. Therefore my insurance company can correctly determine the risk on each car and quote a cost accordingly.

I have also been in the situation where I own a car and my daughter drives it and organises her own insurance, again, provided all the details are declared the insurance is correctly evaluated against the risk. A third example I have been party to is exactly how the OP says his is; i.e. I was the RK on a car which my wife generally drove and the insurance policy was in her name.

I maintain again, there is nothing wrong or illegal about how the OP has his insurance set up provided he has given all the pertinant facts to his insurance company so they could make a correct assessment of the risk.