• Tweets

• We will work out a letter – but for the moment, how did you manage to achieve the acceptance of your rejection? Very well done. And do I understand that you bought two warranties! One warranty from Nissan and one warranty from big motoring world? Seems a rather extravagant duplication and in particular when you are adequately protected by the consumer rights act anyway – free of charge
    • Hey 👋    good news. They’ve offered a refund of £9000 which was the cash we put up front. We took out £2500 finance with warranties200 and then we paid £1800 for extended warranty with Nissan (bought from BMW at the time we purchased the car. How can I world a formal letter asking if this will then cancel everything? Warranty and extended warranty.    tjanks  Car.pdf
    • I have changed para 3 slightly because they say in one of their letters they have a copy of the agreements terms and conditions but they have not supplied them. Particular's of Claim (for Reference only) 1.THE DEFENDANT OWES THE CLAIMANT £293.13 IN REPECT OF GAS/ELECTRICITY CHARGES SUPPLIED TO THE DEFENDANT BY OVO ENERGY LTD (DEBT) 2. WHICH DEBT WAS ASSIGNED TO THE CLAIMANT ON 31/12/2022 AND NOTICE OF WHICH WAS GIVEN TO THE DEFENDANT ON 31/12/2022. 3.DESPITE FORMAL DEMAND FOR PAYMENT OF THE DEBT THE DEFENDANT HAS FAILED TO PAY AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS £293.13 AND FURTHER CLAIMS INTEREST THEREUPON PURSUANT TO SECTION 69 OF THE COUNTY COURT ACT 1984 LIMITED TO ONE YEAR TO THE DATE HEREOF AT THE RATE OF 2.34% PER ANNUM AMOUNTING TO £6.86      1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2.Furthermore, the claimant has given no details as to the breakdown of their claim so the defendant is unable to defend specifically. 3. The claimant openly admits that they  have a copy of the agreement. Pursuant to the civil procedure rules Practice Direction 16 (7.3) Where a claim is based upon a  written agreement: (1) a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s)  should be available at  the hearing. With the court’s permission the Claimant is put to strict proof to:- a) show and disclose how the Defendant has entered into an agreement; b) show and disclose how the Claimant has reached the amount claimed ; c) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 4. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 5. It is therefore denied that the defendant is indebted to the claimant as alleged or at all.
    • Okay you have asserting your rights. The issue now is what you prepared to do to enforce the right. I'm afraid that you can be certain that big motoring world and your finance company will do very little to help you and therefore you going to have to consider your options. Please read this thread – this post where I have set out the kinds of things that you could do. you could also begin a complaint against your finance company but that will not be quick. They will take at least eight weeks before you can move it to the ombudsman and after that it could take several months or a year. I'm afraid that there are no quick options here other than going on standing in the showroom   It really wasn't a good idea to buy a used car 70 miles away. Read our used car guide
    • Email sent yesterday had a reply this morning apologising & advised it will be removed straight the way and this action would reflect on my credit file within 2 / 30 days Thanks again for advice Both DX & FKO . Nibs.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Ross & Roberts - need URGENT advice!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4528 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Before the weekend I found a first notice letter regarding outstanding city council tax of just over £1000. I've been in contact with the council to find out that no direct debit information had been created! (even though I can swear down that the paper work was sent!)

This has been the first I've heard about it, so I called the bailiff to make an arrangement. Over the phone I have agreed to paying an initial cost of £200 and then monthly payments of £150.

He says he will turn up tomorrow at 11am to get me and my girlfriend to sign a contract.

Now my questions is this, (and please I need answers ASAP!) will he be there as a bailiff or a debt collector? what paperwork will he get me to sign? And if he will be there as a bailiff, do I have rights to complete the necessary paper work outside the premises? Please can someone get back to me!

Thanks in advanced

Jay

uh oh!

never ever pay a bailiff!!

if you can pay

pay the council by internet banking site

or

their automated phone line

has the baillf actually been around

what charges are they claiming

you say its first notice?

if this means there has beenNO bailiff involved to date

then you owe NO CHARGES

phone him and say no thank you

i'm paying the council direct

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Despite making arrangements over the phone with the bailiff, you do NOT have to deal with them - it is definitely preferable NOT to entertain them. Let them visit by all means, BUT don't open the door, keep it locked and likewise your windows, and DON'T leave anything of value outside your home - be it car, carvavan, bikes, garden furniture. DON'T leave them anything to levy on. Otherwise they'll start racking up the charges. The most they can charge you is £42.50 in charges for 1st and 2nd visits without obtaining a levy.

Write to the Council asking for details of the Liabiilty Order (you'll see lots of examples on here) and make payments directly to the council through their online system -- using the relevant account number. The council can't refuse your payments.

If you make weekly payments, say every Thursday without fail, it will very quickly demonstrate a payment history.

Read through some of our posts, you'll have a better idea of how to manage bailiffs. It's not rocket science -- just keep strong.

Good Luck!

Impecunious! :-)

yep as far as i know as they have not attended

theres another thread about this recently i think.

and nice to see you too!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the replies guys! The first notice letter was obviously posted by the bailiff. It had a time and date when he came. Fortunately I was at work! The council said that where it's been given to Ross & Roberts and the court it's out of their hands! (goin to the council was my first move!) I've asked if payment can be sorted out by other means and he said no unless I can pay the full amount! (which I can't.)

In the notice it says the following

Today's visit fee : 24.50

Total outstanding : 1023.77

'please note further statutory costs under the council tax (administration and enforcement) regulations 1992, regulation 45 and the non-domestic rating (Collection and enforcement)(local list) regulations 1989, regulation 14, are listed below:

Second visit fee: £18

Levy fee: £55

Walking possession: £12.00

Administration fee in accordance with Section H: £24.50, if applicable. Reasonable cost for the attendance of a removal vehicle.'

So where do I stand? And how can I pay without having any trouble? Thanks again

It is becoming commonplace for some bailiff companies to "claim" that they cannot accept a payment arrangement UNLESS they can get a Contract signed. THERE IS NO LEGAL BASIS FOR THIS AT ALL.

The bailiff is limited to only being able to charge a MAXIMUM of £42.50 but he can charge a LOT MORE MONEY if he is allowed to come into your home to levy upon goods.

If you do let a bailiff in you need to be aware that this visit will mean that he can levy upon any goods in your home and that it is only AFTER he has been into you home and seen what furniture that you have that he will then make HIS DECISION as to what payment arrangments HE will accept!!

Also, if you allow the bailiff in, (bearing in mind that there is no legal right to do so) then you will also incur a levy fee and walking possesion fee of £12.

The bailiff will again, not make much money from you and that the real financial gain comes from him being able to charge an "ATTENDING TO REMOVE" fee. This can add between £150-£300 to the debt!!

The bailiff may legally charge an "ATTENDING TO REMOVE" fee to the account if you are as much as ONE DAY late in making payment.

To summarise:

Allowing a bailiff to come into your home will ADD ADDITIONAL FEES TO YOUR ACCOUNT.

If you are ONE DAY LATE in making payment....then a "VAN FEE" can be added.

Therefore, if you are happy for the additional fees to be charged and you know that you would never be late making a payment, then you can let the bailiff into your home.

If not.......BE VERY CAREFUL.

Your partner can indeed meet the bailiff OUTSIDE of the property but you need to be careful that the bailiff will be trying to levy upon a car in the driveway !!!

There's nothing outside the property as its a flat and we don't own a car! Can I not push the council o take payment or has it gone beyond that? And why would they HAVE to visit to make a standing order?

so its £24.50 only owing to the bailiff so far TT?

you can pay the council direct via internet banking NOW

you just tell the baiiff on the phone

you have sorted it and there is no need for him to attend

if he does ignore him

dx

and they

I have provided a VERY DETAILED answer to your query and I would hope in that answer that I had already demonstrated WHY the bailiff would want to come to the house to get a "standing order" signed!!

Also, there is no such thing as a "standing order".

The form is a "walking possession" and he will want to come into the property to get this legalised (ie..signed)

The fees SO FAR are only £24.50 but will be MUCH MORE if you allow him into the property.

I am sure that I did a good template letter that would suffice. Somebody on here should be able to get a copy.

I've rang the council and they are having none of this... Apparently the liability order has been issued and that's that... Even with the liability order can I still make payments at this time? And with the first notice from R&R?

With the direct debi information not being there I dot think I will even have an account number!

Please listen to the advice of these good people.

DO NOT let the bailiff into your house, DO NOT give the bailiff any money and make regular payments direct to the council using their online payment system.

They know what they are talking about and if you follow their advice you will be okay.

Honestly I'm trying, I'm not goin to let the bailiff in. However on my city council tax website where I can make a payment it states the following;

"if your debt is in the hands of the bailiff any payments you make will be passed to the bailiff who may contact you to collect any outstanding charges"

Guess this means that even if I do, he will still attempt to see me...

Jaysive avoid the bailiff make a payment direct to the council using their online or telephone payment system PDQ, DO NOT let the bailiff in his "CONTRACT" is a walking posession or LEVY on your goods, take the advice offered by DX and tomtubby, who know. Legally you do not have to deal with Ross 'n Robbers no matter what the council say, as they remain 100% in controkl of your account and are completely liable for anything the bailiff does good or bad. In fact only speak to the bailiff on the phone if you can record the call, also have amobile ready for one of you to film him when he turns up.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Honestly I'm trying, I'm not goin to let the bailiff in. However on my city council tax website where I can make a payment it states the following;

"if your debt is in the hands of the bailiff any payments you make will be passed to the bailiff who may contact you to collect any outstanding charges"

Guess this means that even if I do, he will still attempt to see me...

There is no law that states you have to deal with or speak to a Bailiff. If you wish to pay the Council direct your CT account should show:

a - a property reference - never changes

b - an account number - never changes

c - a reference number - should change on a yearly basis so that they know what year is being paid for

If you pay the Council direct via online banking, Council website or automated phone - you may even go to the Council offices in person and pay by cash/cheque your payment has to be accepted. What the Council do with your money after payment is their problem. If passed back to the Bailiff it will be given back to the Council at some stage probably after they have deducted some fees first.

Are you aware that your Council may have outsouced their back office procedures including Revenues to a company called Capita. The chances are that each time you have spoken to the Council on the phone it is in fact a Capita employee you have spoken to. Did I mention at the beginning that Capita own a couple of Bailiff firms one of which just so happens to Ross & Roberts. I'm sure you can do the maths and work out why the responses you have had so far are pay the Bailiff.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rest assured if you refuse the bailiff his pound of flesh from a levy you will get little to no cooperation negotiating a payment plan that will be affordable to you !!!!!!!!!!! Follow the advice given by caggers it has been tried and tested, pay the Council NOT the Bailiff

wd

I believe the problem has been sorted...

Thank you all do very much with your advise and I do appologise if I seemed arrogant though I have been a panicking wreck all weekend!!

Thank you all so much again!

explain!

so others in the same situation know how you dealt with it

not leave it dead.

dx

and they

I believe the problem has been sorted...

Thank you all do very much with your advise and I do appologise if I seemed arrogant though I have been a panicking wreck all weekend!!

Thank you all so much again!

Fingers crossed then. The problems stems from you thinking the Council must be correct, however if you do have the time read some of the other posts on here and you will note they all follow a pattern. What I meant to say before when I was on about paying the Council direct is that you would need to allow extra for lawful Bailiff fees only.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

....However on my city council tax website where I can make a payment it states the following;

"if your debt is in the hands of the bailiff any payments you make will be passed to the bailiff who may contact you to collect any outstanding charges"...

Which council is this? If what they say is correct – which I doubt – it has to be illegal hasn't it?

EDIT:

Is it Winchester City Council?

Edited by outlawla

Which council is this? If what they say is correct – which I doubt – it has to be illegal hasn't it?

EDIT:

Is it Winchester City Council?

This is off the Winchester CC website:

Council Tax - Pay Online

You can use this service to pay your Council Tax online. We only accept payment by debit card for this service.

Before you go to the payments section, you will need to have you Council Tax reference number. Your Council Tax reference number has eight digits starting with a '5' e.g. 51234567. It is shown on your Council Tax bill.

If your debt is in the hands of the bailiff any payments you make will be passed to the bailiff who may contact you to collect any outstanding charges.

Don't think it's legal, but hey what do they care about legality, as long as the moolah flows in

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

What do you make of the legality of that brassnecked? EDIT: Didn't see your last comment above until I posted this.

Regulation 52(4) states:

Where a step is taken for the recovery of an outstanding sum which is or forms part of an amount in respect of which a liability order has been made and under which additional costs or charges with respect to the step are also recoverable in accordance with this Part, any sum recovered thereby which is less than the aggregate of the amount outstanding and such additional costs and charges shall be treated as discharging first the costs and charges, the balance (if any) being applied towards the discharge of the outstanding sum.

Wouldn't you think that applies only if the enforcement operations were in-house. It is the authority that has the contract with the private bailiff firm, not the debtor.

Unless you have paid the council in full plus the odd initial bailiff fee I wouldn't be thinking that for one second!

Nice to hear from you Rae, I hope Op hasn't ignored the advice of Caggers and believed the bailiff

• Haha 1