DVLA Wheel clamping in car park - is it fair??

MissBenjamin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4462 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks,

Last year I had to SORN my car off the road because of a accident made it unroadworthy. Unfortunately, it was third party insurance so I couldnt claim. Anyway, the other day I decided to drive it to the garage to get fixed, whereupon it would then pass an MOT and I could have it taxed and insured.

I didnt have an appointment with the garage, because the damage was qutie extensive (probably around £1,000) and I wanted to get quotes from two separarate garages.

Along the way, I parked the car in HOMEBASE car park to get some things, and when I came back, it had been clamped. I was then told I had to pay £260 to get the clamp removed!! :mad2:

Is this legal? Do I have a basis for disputing the clamping?

Thanks

As far as I am aware the DVLA are entitled to do this under an amendment to the 2008 Finance Act / Vehicle Excise Duty (Immobilisation, Removal and

Disposal of Vehicles) (Amendment) Regulations 2008. That amendment permits them to enter private property so long as it is publicly accessible and does not form part of a dwelling in order to immobilise vehicles. I believe that the mistake was probably in stopping 'on the way'.

It is quite a fine legal point as to rights and remedies, so no doubt others will have more input, but this link might give you some reading http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/2266/pdfs/uksi_20082266_en.pdf

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Directgov is good on this one: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_4022072

Had the MOT run out? It is an offence to drive a vehicle which should have an MOT certificate but does not have one unless you are:-

taking the vehicle to a testing station for a pre-arranged test

or driving the vehicle away after the vehicle has failed its test.

It is also the driver's responsibility for ensuring a vehicle is roadworthy ~ you state that it isn't.

Directgov is good on this one: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_4022072

Had the MOT run out? It is an offence to drive a vehicle which should have an MOT certificate but does not have one unless you are:-

taking the vehicle to a testing station for a pre-arranged test

or driving the vehicle away after the vehicle has failed its test.

It is also the driver's responsibility for ensuring a vehicle is roadworthy ~ you state that it isn't.

and then to/from pre-booked repair

• 3 weeks later...

You should have got garages to come out to you to give you quotes. No tax, insurance or mot, £260 to have the clamp removed. If thats all you got for it then count yourself lucky.

If the police had pulled you over you would be looking at fines and probably a ban and points..

• 4 weeks later...
While the OP has obviously been (apperently) caught fair and square, don't you think that it is a little strange that the DVLA's agents were in the right place at the right time?

Also Spot On.

Does a PPC operate that Homebase car park?

If so, do they by any chance have ANPR/CCTV?

While the OP has obviously been (apperently) caught fair and square, don't you think that it is a little strange that the DVLA's agents were in the right place at the right time?

I see them all the time round my area (Manchester City Centre) with the ANPR vans driving round NCP car parks etc.