Continuous Insurance - DVLA won't let me do it!

crem
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4562 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK, it's been a while since we had a thread on the DVLAs new money making scheme to hit innocent motorist, but now I've come across another of it's conflicts that makes it impossible to stay inside the system.

I am in the middle fo trading in 2 cars and replacing them with a new one which should be around the end of this month. As one of the cars was due to run out of insurance last week and I will be transferring the 2nd car insurance onto the new car, I arranged with the garage for them to take it in early so that it was off the public road and wouldn't need insurance as I wasn't driving it any more.

Then I remembered about the stupid new law that (alledgedly) is supposed to catch people driving uninsured cars (which it won't) but realised it may catch me in their loophole even though I am not driving the car. So I thought I would SORN the car for now so that it doesn't need insurance while parked at the garage until we do the official transfer at the end of the month.

Went onto the online SORN page and found, as I am into the last month of the tax disk anyway, it automatically assumes a SORN date of 01/11/11 which is 3 weeks away. Now, I'm not so bothered about that as I no longer have the car here to drive anyway, but the insurance ran out on 5/10/11 and I have no intention of insuring a car for 3 weeks which is safely parked on private land in the care of the main dealer.

Thoughts?

I wonder if the theory is that you send the current licence back for a refund with form V14 and tick the box to declare SORN. They accept the SORN but they don't send you any money because the licence expires at the end of the month.

I was trying to do it online. But from what I gather reading a few other threads around CAG, is that SORN can only ever be declared from the beginning of a month, so I can't declare SORN today on the 10th. I can start it from 1st November to co-inside with the tax disk running out, but I have no insurance on the car from the 5th.

The car is off-road (at the dealers) and won't be driven again by me, so I have no intention of renewing a yearly insurance policy only to cancel it after 3 weeks which would, of course, carry a huge cancellation fee!

I was trying to do it online. But from what I gather reading a few other threads around CAG, is that SORN can only ever be declared from the beginning of a month, so I can't declare SORN today on the 10th. I can start it from 1st November to co-inside with the tax disk running out, but I have no insurance on the car from the 5th.

The car is off-road (at the dealers) and won't be driven again by me, so I have no intention of renewing a yearly insurance policy only to cancel it after 3 weeks which would, of course, carry a huge cancellation fee!

There is a clause for vehicles that are in trade mate :)http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696

The exceptions are:

• if you have made a SORN for the vehicle
  • if your vehicle has been kept off-road since before SORN came into force on 31 January 1998 – unless it was brought back into use
  • if your vehicle is recorded as stolen, passed or sold to the motor trade or between registered keepers
  • if your vehicle is recorded scrapped or permanently exported by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing (DVLA)

There is a clause for vehicles that are in trade mate :)http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696

True, but the garage have not yet "officially" taken ownership of it as the full deal won't be done until the new car arrives. Therefore I can't claim "trade-in" status and send off the yellow section 9 of the V5C

If the garage have taken it in, and it's at their premises, surely their trade insurance covers it???

As above, yes they will use their trade insurance if they wish to drive it, but I can't yet claim I am no longer the registered keeper.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, finally did all the official paperwork today on this car and my 2nd car which went in today as trade against the new one. Sent both V5C/3 sections off in one envelope to DVLA (with proof of posting of course :wink:). Lets see if they try to rake in some money with their new money making scheme when they realise I have been the RK for it with no insurance for the past 3 weeks. :)