• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Suing Lloyds tsb

xasan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6637 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, i've found this site through MSE website and i have used your template letter to ask for charges back from lloyds tsb.

although this isnt the first time i've wrote to them about this, last time i wrote to my branch manager and he replied saying we got your money and there isnt a damn thing you can do about it.

but now i know they might not even contest, will definatly fill the claim.

great site.

***Edit***

just recieved the standard "we got your email, and we'll pass it on" reply

what next??

THOU SHALT NOT *%\"? WITH NOR SEE POPPA.

Can you explain what you included in your first letter

Can you explain what you included in your first letter

this is the first letter i've sent to them and i got it from http://www.bankcharges.info.

Dear Sir/Madam

Penalty & unfair charges – request for refund

I am of the view that your charges represent a penalty and are therefore irrecoverable at common law. In the Scottish case of Castaneda and Others v. Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. (1904) 12 SLT 498 the House of Lords held that a contractual party can only recover damages for actual or liquidated losses incurred from a breach of contract. This is also the position in English law: Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79. Your charges do not reflect any actual or real loss, instead they appear to represent a lucrative profit-making scheme.

On a separate note, your charges appear to represent an unfair term of contract which is contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI. 1999/2083). My account falls within the ambit of Regulation 5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 as I am a consumer. Your charges constitute an unfair penalty under reference to paragraph 1(e) of schedule 2 of the said regulations:

‘Indicative and non-exhaustive list of terms which may be regarded as unfair - 1. Terms which have the object of effect of - (e) requiring any consumer who fails his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation’.

0n 26 July 2005 the OFT stated that 'a charge is likely to be disproportionately high if it is more than a court would be likely to award if the lender sued for breach of contract'. Because your charges include a lucrative profit margin, in addition to actual loss, they are irrecoverable as an unfair term in contract.

I believe that your charges require me to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation for being overdrawn without mutual agreement.

Please refund these charges to my account within the next 7 days, or I will commence court proceedings without any further notice.

Yours faithfully

[sIGNATURE]

The Govan letter is good but you didn't include any figure for your charges. You should have done.

Do you know how much you are claiming?

If yes then send them a letter before action referring to your disappointment in their negative reply to your previous letter.

If no then you need to work out what is owing or get the statements from the bank and then work it out. The send the LBA. Then the Good News.

i did include how much i was asking back but they refused, i sent the original letter to my branch manager, i've sent the sample letter on the library as email but they refused again.

i'm thinking filling at the small claims court, what you think?

I am very bias. I think that you should - but you have to make the decision.

You have to understand thoroughly what you are doing and what you might have to do if they defend. It's not dangerous but they may close your account and so you need to have another ready. The risks are loss of claims fee, closure of account, wasted effort a sense of humiliation.

How much is at stake?

i've got a natwest account for back up but i intend to sue them as well, i will start with natwest after i'm done with lloyds tsb.

i've got £600 overdraft with lloyds but they can take it back if they want.

they have charged me about £300 so far i think, the small claims fee is about £30 so i havent much to lose

the main thing i'm worried about is going to court and standing infront of a judge, i've never been to court before and their lawyer will have me for lunch.

You don't stand, you sit. It will be in an office with a large desk and you will be sitting on one side. No wigs, gowns etc - just suits. You can dress casually but cleanly. You address the judge as "Sir/Madam" and as you are acting in person the judge will assist you.

It is very rare that members of the public attend these hearings but you are allowed to do so if you wish.

Why don't you spend a couple of hours at your local county court. Speak to the court usher in one of the court rooms and say that you want to sit in quietly on two or three court proceedings.

It is your right to do so but as the usher will be surprised at the request, he/she will ask the judge who might just say yes or as he will be surprised as well, might ask you why you want to.

Just tell them that you are suing someone soon and you are nervous and you want to see what happens. I am sure that they will help you. In fact if they don't then come back here because we will have an issue to discuss with the court. :evil:

As long as you sit quietly and listen - don't take notes - it will be fine. You might even find that the judge may chat with you between cases and give you some tips! Do not attempt to discuss your forthcoming case with him.

I might put this into the FAQs.

thanks bankfodder, this is great help, i was thinkin about visiting the local magistrate court to see what happens there,

if you put an idea of what happens incase you go to court in FAQ it will help alot.

[[in fact if they don't then come back here because we will have an issue to discuss with the court. :evil: ]]

lol will sure do m8

Go the Mags if you like but only to see how very different it is to the County Court.

By the way, make it clear to the County Court usher - that you want to sit in on some small claims hearings. They will assume that you want to see something in open court. You don't.

thanks, didnt know that.

i've sent this to "david just" the assistant manager who replied to my email

i'll wait for his reply and act accordingly.

ref : BHAM/DJ/CC/867420

>

>> Dear Mr just

>>

>> Re: Account Charges for Overdraft Excesses and Returned Items

>>

>> Thank you for taking the time to reply to my email.

>>

>>>since you refuse to willingly repay the unlawfull charges applied to my

account in the the last 5-6 years, you leave me no choice but to pursue

this matter through the courts.

thank you

Guest stephen

County Court are open courts and for civil matters and unless there a specific reason then the public is allowed to sit in on a case.

Mags courts are for criminal cases, also normally open courts but the laws and procedure will be different.

I do as BankFodder suggested and sit in on a case; also, if you are that worried you can have a Lay representative in the County court.

• 2 weeks later...

just recieved an acknowledgment letter, their lawyer in london says he intends to defend it and they have 28 days to do so. slightly worried.

btw when is "the big claim" due in court?

Let us know when you get the dfence.

Start reading all the guidance notes and assembling all the evidence you can together.

trawl through all of the other posts and everytime you see someone refer to a letter or something which you think may be useful then pm them and ask for a copy.

just recieved two letters in one envelope, the first one says they have the right to charge and the usual cr*p, the second says they will settle if i return my visa electron card in exchange for a atm card but they also said this i quote

"payment will be in full and final settlement of this claim and any future claims you have or may have against lloyds arising out of, or in anyway connected to, this claim and any furthur charges on my account"

does that mean they want me to waive the right to sue them if they charge me in the future?

just recieved two letters in one envelope, the first one says they have the right to charge and the usual cr*p, the second says they will settle if i return my visa electron card in exchange for a atm card but they also said this i quote

"payment will be in full and final settlement of this claim and any future claims you have or may have against lloyds arising out of, or in anyway connected to, this claim and any furthur charges on my account"

does that mean they want me to waive the right to sue them if they charge me in the future?

I think it does.

And if you only have a visa electron card now, you could always set up an account with the Co-Op and get the same, leaving you with just your ATM card from the TSB.

What is happening with your overdraft from them, has anything been mentioned about that?

Oh, and finally...well done :)

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

Aren't they petty!!!Take away a debit card because you've caught them with their hand in your pocket. Is this claim all you want from them? In any event open another account now as Dolly says. Natwest will also give you a debit card with their Step Account

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6637 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks