• Tweets

• I would suggest that you stop trying to rely on legal theory – as you understand it. Firstly, because we are dealing with practical/pragmatic situations and at a low value level where these arguments tend not to work. Secondly, because you clearly have misunderstood the assessment of quantum where there are breaches of obligations. The formula that you have cited above is the method of loss calculation in torts. In contract it is entirely different. The law of obligations generally attempts to remedy the breach. This means that in tort, damages seek to put you into the position you would have been in had the breach not occurred. In other words it returns you to your starting position – point zero. Contract damages attend put you into the position that you would have been had the breach not occurred but this is not your starting position, contract damages assume that the agreement in dispute had actually been carried out. This puts you into your final position. You sold an item for £XXX. Your expectation was that you your item would be correctly delivered and that you would be the beneficiary of £XXX. Your expectation loss is the amount that you sold the item for and that is all you are entitled to recover. If you want, you can try to sue for the larger sum – and we will help you. But if they ask for evidence of the value of the item as it was sold then I can almost guarantee that either you will be obliged to settle for the lesser sum – or else a judge will give you judgement but for the lesser sum. This will put you to the position that you would have been had there been no breach of contract. I understand from you now that when you dispatch the item you declared the retail cost to you and not your expected benefit of £XXX. To claim for the retail value in the circumstances would offend the rules relating to betterment. If you want to do it then we will help you – but don't be surprised if you take a tumble.  
    • I was caught speeding 3 times in the same week, on the same road. All times were 8-12mph higher than the limit. I was offered the course for the first offense and I now need to accept the other 2 offenses. I just want to be ready for what might come. Will I get the £100 fine and 3 points for each of them or do I face something more severe?  These are my only offenses in 8 years of driving.
    • I'll get my letter drafted this evening. Its an item I sold, which I'm also concerned about, as whilst I don't have my original purchase receipt (the best I have is my credit card statement showing a purchase from Car Audio Centre), I do unfortunately have the eBay listing where I sold it for much less. But as I said before this is now a question of compensation: true compensation would seek to put me back into the position I was in before the loss ie: that title would remain with me until my buyer has accepted this, and so compensation should be that which would be needed to replace the lost item. But in the world of instant electronic payment, it could be argued that as I had already been paid, the title to the goods had already transferred, and I was required to refund the buyer after the loss. And so, despite my declared value being the retail price - that which is needed to return me to my pre-sales position, the compensatory value should be the value I sold it for, which being a second-hand item from a private seller is lower. I still believe that I should be claiming for the item's full value, rather than how much I sold it for, as this is the same for insurance: we don't insure the value we paid, but rather the value of the item to put us back into the position we would be in if we ever needed to claim. Its for the loss adjuster to argue the toss
    • amusing that 'bad economic judgement on behalf of prior party ISN'T a major reason to wingers to move to deform yet immigration is, where record levels of such has been driven by the right wings terrible brexit and the later incompetent dog whistle 'proposals largely driven to whistle to the right wingnuts Just seems to confirm the are clueless numpties 'wetting their own shoes   Has farage bought a property in Clacton yet?   yet concern for the NHS is listed as a major issue even by those saying they are moving to deform  
    • Also, have you told us how much you paid for this vehicle? Are there any other expenses you have incurred – insurance, inspections et cetera? How far away from the dealership do you live?
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Hfo letter received-help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4479 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The claim form. The PoC on its own is easy to defend, as it claims direct assignment from Barclaycard to HFO Ireland, but this was expanded on in the further PoC (but it demonstrates their confusion and inability to deal in ‘facts’). Note that this is the first instance we’ve seen with HFO Ireland’s proper address at the top – they have been there for ages, and I wonder if all the NoAs with the wrong address are therefore invalid?

04ClaimFormNCCBC25Oct.jpg

ClAIM FORM

US President Barack Obama referred to Ugland House as the biggest building in the world or the biggest tax SCA* in the world.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

whats a ws-just getting info you requested-sent best defence pos no option intimescales given didnt want to submit late to court

I’m Duncan Bannatyne. Again. Unless you are actually prepared to accept advice given in good faith, and which has a basis in law, you will fail spectacularly.

more than willing to accept advice donkey you guys know far more than me and for that i am very grateful, at the time of defence submital i could only work with what i had been given and was not comfortable missing court deadline.

Gammon.

Please take these comments in the right way they are honest and truthfull designed to help you , as most of us have been through this experience.

I would recommend you follow the guidence/advice from the people of this site, however, the choice is yours to make.

I trusted these people, when I was in a simlair position 12 months ago and without their unpaided support and experience, I would have been up #### creek.

Nothing is guaranteed in court, but at least you will have a fighting chance to defend the claim in the right way, otherwise you will be stuffed.

You have one objective, getting a DJ to dimiss the claim, your choices are... be prepared with the right support or go it alone unprepared.

Best Regards

CC

Hi Gammon, please listen to the advice given by these

people, they have valuable experience and great knowledge

of the HFO/TR companies.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Hi all waiting for response from recommended solicitors now in relation to our case.

In the meantime upon checking credit file have noticed that HFO have duplicated a credit agreement. Up until recently there was only one record but since this escalated to court they have added another in Dec 2011 after we received court papers. The amounts are all the same as are start and default dates. The only difference being the dates that the file is updated-one being Sept 2011 and the second being Dec 2011. The concern is that although there is only one alleged debt there are two different reference numbers one at the top of each entry. Surely all that should of been done was the date that the file was amended should of been updated.

Surely to all intent and purposes this looks to any potential lender that there are TWO agreements not ONE which is blatently wrong and has yet another detrimental impact/

Has anyone else experienced this and are they allowed to do this as this just seems to get worse and worse HELP PLEASE.............................................

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perseverance and bloody minded determination on our part and expert know how and support from you guys led to our farce of a court case being dropped, by non other than HFO themselves. We were sent a bundle from them that included a very ropey cca some even ropier statements but still no proof of notice of assignment. At this stage i admit i thought we were DONE FOR!!! Despite this the marvelous solicitors being EDIT who were very kindly recommended by COLEDOG thought we had a strong case and as such HFO requested a STAY of court to delay the process to presumably menace us into settling or obtain further evidence-which naturally would have already been forthcoming if they had any access to it.

In anticipation of a court stay hearing being 9th of March(last Friday-imagine my joy when I returned home to receive a letter from Turnbull stating that HFO were dropping the entire case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In short i cannot thank The CAG enough and all of you personally involved for your support-The difference this has made to our lives is difficult to put into words and we can finally sleep easy.

My message to anyone reading this thread is DONT GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The essence of what these companies are trying to do is illegal regardless of wether you do or did owe money to your original lender once they have purchased the debt they have to operate in a certain lawful manner in order to obtain the money-This only is actually put to the test when they are in a court of law and my account and indeed the many others on this site prove that every method they implement up to court date is unacceptable, menacing and bullying AND MOST IMPORTANTLY UNLAWFUL-PLEASE DON`T GIVE IN TO THEM AND TAKE HEED OF THE CAG ADVICE AND FOLLOW THEIR PROCEDURES AND GUIDELINES.

If you do need specific legal assistance then i cannot recommend EDIT. He was so helpful, friendly and took the time to really make the difference. We received legal advice that not only didn`t cost us a penny i`m sure made the difference in the case being dropped.

That said rest assured had we have gone to court I would have had no hesitation in employing the firm to represent us at the risk of cost to ourselves.

CAG we will be a donation winging its way to you-there isn`t enough money in the world to express our sincerest thanks(although some of you may argue that point!!!)

Peace of mind is everything!!!!!!!!!!!!

HFO 0 GAMMON 1 YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done Gammon! I would always advise people in your position to seek proper legal advice and only pointed you in the direction of a company I know have had some recent success for other Caggers! Other sols are available!

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

Now don't forget your complaint to the SRA about Turnbull and the complaint about HFO to the OFT and Trading Standards.

The more people who follow through with complaints after cases are dropped to the SRA the more these 'solicitors for rent' firms will think about setting up shop to deal with these dubious debts.