• Tweets

• Thank you very much for your letter in regard to the above mentioned shipment.  Due to the high volume of parcels coursing through the courier network each day, undergoing continuous processing and handling, certain packages may experience delays or even can get lost in the course of this journey. Please note that due to the time that has passed, this shipment has been declared as lost.  I have today processed the claim and made offers to the value of £75 as a goodwill gesture without prejudice. I do acknowledge that you have mentioned in your letter that the value was higher, however, you did not take out any protection to that amount. The protection for this shipment was £20 and we will not be increasing our goodwill offer any further.    Please log into your account online in order to accept our offer. Once accepted, our accounts department will process the claim accordingly. The claim payment will be processed and received within 7 working days.                                  In addition, a refund of the carriage fee will be processed as a separate payment and will be received within 3 working days.  If I can further assist, please feel free to contact me.   I have also just noticed that yesterday afternoon they sent me an email stating that "after my request" they have refunded the cost of shipping. I did not request the refund so will mention that in my letter as well.
    • Hi I had to leave Dubai back in 2011, during the financial crisis. And only now have I received a letter from IDRWW. Is this anything to worry about about as I have 2 years left until it’s been 15 years(statute barred in Dubai). Worried as just got a mortgage 2 years ago. Could they force me in to bankruptcy? Red lots of different threads on here. And unsure what true and what isn’t. 
    • Not that TOR will see this now he's thrown in the hand grenade. Rayner has plenty of female supporters on X, for a start. As for the council and HMRC, fair enough and I thought Rayner was already in touch with them. That's where it should be dealt with, not the police force. @tobyjugg2 Daniel Finkelstein thinks the same as you about tax. The Fiver theory. How the Fiver Theory explains this election campaign ARCHIVE.PH archived 28 May 2024 17:36:51 UTC  
    • Often with the Likes of Lowells/ Overdales that 'proof' doesn't stand up to scrutiny.   Think about it like a game of poker, they want to intimidate you into folding and giving up as soon as possible, and just get you to pay up and roll over, that is their business model, make you think your cards are rubbish. What they don't expect, and their business isn't set up for it, is for a defendant to find this place and to learn that they have an amazing set of cards to play. Overdales don't have an infinite number of lawyers, paralegals etc, and the time / money to spend on expensive court cases, that they are highly likely to lose, hence how hard they will try to get you to roll over.  Even to the extent of faking documents, which they need to do because the debts that they purchased were so cheap, in the first place. Nevertheless it works in most cases, most people chicken out, when they are so close to winning, and a holding defence is like slowly showing Overdales your first card, and a marker of intention that this could get tricky for them. In fact it may be,  although by no means guaranteed that it won't even go any further than that.  Even if it does, what they send you back will almost certainly have more holes than Swiss Cheese, and if with the help you receive here, you can identify those weaknesses and get the whole thing tossed in the bin.
    • So Rayner who is don’t forget still being investigated by the local council and HMRC  is now begging to save her seat Not a WOMAN in sight in this video other than Rayner  Farage is utterly correct this country’s values are non existent in her seat   Rayner Pleads With Muslim Voters as Pressure From Galloway Grows – Guido Fawkes ORDER-ORDER.COM Guido has obtained a leaked tape from inside a meeting between Angela Rayner and Muslim voters in Ashton-under-Lyne...  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

If your claim is over £5000

FoxyFiona
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6379 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I have just got my statements from the Abbey (after 60days and 5 phone calls chasing) to find in the last 3 years I have been charged a whopping £8200 !! In one month they charged us £490 charges, now if thats not unlawful I dont what is! Is it possible to split the claim into two in order to keep it in the small claims court? I have been to the multi track courts before and lost against the council over a wording technicality and ended up paying their costs, so the thought of it again leaves me cold. Any advice/suggestions gratefully received:|

8) FoxyFiona

Hi just a footnote when I was researching on the website originally, there was a man who was claiming £9000 ish, I would be interested to hear how he got on if he happens to read this. Or infact anyone else who have had claims larger than £5000 Thanks

8) FoxyFiona

Hi Foxy and welcome, your claim would go on the Fastrack, there are a few claims and they seem to have been settled so the Fast track is nothing to be afraid of, as long as you do your research and know what you are doing, so welcome about, in my signature there are links to all the things that you will need to start off, namely FAQ's step by Step instructions and the spreadsheet with interest, also, go and do lots of reading in the Abbey thread, it will help enormously, if you need any help or advice then there is always someone around that will be able to help.

So good luck :-)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Thanks for that, am in the process of recording all charges on the spreadsheet, but (sorry for being dim) I cant work out if you sent this with your letter asking for the money back? I have got the letter template ready.

8) FoxyFiona

Hi Fiona

Send the schedule of charges with your prelim letter (but don't add on the 8% court interest).

Jackie

Abbey: Settled - now for no. 2

Dudley Building Society : claim dismissed - no costs

London Scottish: settled in full :oops:

Capital One - settled in full :p

"Energy and persistence conquer all things" Benjamin Franklin

Any advice, information and thoughts given by me are just my humble opinion

Fiona - I've just received 50% offer and I started mid-June. It will take a while - but you'll get there I'm sure. Lots of kicking the cat in the meantime - or eating copious amounts of chocolate (which is my preferred means of dealing with stress!!) Jackie :oops:

Hi folk,..quick question/concern,...my claim is just under £5000(£4970),..will be sending schedule with prim letter,...If /when I file for county court,..would the costs I add on to claim take me over the £5000 mark and therefore be pushed into fast track??????I know the interest will not matter if it takes the total over £5k,..Is this the same with court charges,..Ready to go but just checking final details as removing any risk of showing the bank that I know what I am doing,..what are your thoughts on this,...best wishes all M

Michelle - my claim is for £4938 - and will still be in the small claims - the cost costs (or court interest) do not affect that total. Best to start a thread so that the good peeps on here can keep track. Good Luck - Jackie:oops:

Foxy

In fast track your marign is 5 - 15K so anything between the two is fine.

If you add contractual interest then this IS included in the total for deciding fees and track allocation.

With a claim of your size you need to understand that.

If you keep the claim in the fast track allocation then you are generally restricted to 750 for costs although there are limited circumstances where you could face higher costs if you lost.

These costs are i beleive limited to such things as the cost of standard disclosure and this would amount to a few grand typically I understand. So potentially you could end up a few grand worse off. Not to be sniffed at lightly.

If you wish to split the claim on the other side then you should be aware that if you actually go to court the first time, and win, when you go back the bank will probably ask for the claim to be strcuk out on the basis you have already sued the bank once and shouldnt keep suing them.

This is not peculair to small, fast or multi track but the courts wont like the litigant abusing the court procedures any more than they like the banks taking the mickey.

If you want to research fast track id recommend HM courts service website since they have loads of info on there.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Thanks for that Glenn it was most useful, I see the point about taking them twice and realise it probably isnt the best option and I will just have to have the courage of my convictions so to speak and just go for it. Cheers Fiona

8) FoxyFiona

Fiona

Something i posted in another thread on this subject is that there are legitiamte reasons to split claims. Such as where you dont have statements you can enter a claim for what you have and then when the other info arrives do another claim for that.

Generally though you would need to have asked for the statements and been persistent about it for that to work.

But of course if you dont end up in court then it doesnt matter.

HTH

glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi anyone, just doing my letter asking for the money back and not sure how to work out the following:

I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX .

How do you work out the overdraft interest?

Fiona :-)

8) FoxyFiona

Fiona

If you use one of the spreadsheets from the template library it estimates it for you.

then you claim for the charges, the amount of interest you have paid (estimated from the spreadsheet) to give you a total.

If you think you might want to claim contractual interest you should mention that in your prelim letter too.

The template spreadsheets wont calculate the contractualinterest but Mindzai has a spreadsheet that will. If you want this find a post by Mindzai and the spreadsheet can be downloaded from a link in his posts.

Just to confrim what i mean by contractual interest, its the rate the CC compay/bank can charge you for exceeding your overdraft for banks, or probalby cash advances from your CC company.

the logic is they have taken moeny from your account unlawfully and you are seeking to redress the balance as it were. This is interest at a very high rate maybe close to 30% and its compounded over the life of the debt they owe you.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

• 2 weeks later...

Its a shame they only get 14 days to respond isnt it?

LOL, i do think their respoinse to a threat to sue is pretty laughable dont you?

GLenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

You would think by now that they would realise that we are all serious...

Am sure I had read the same letter being sent to someone else but cant find it. LBA letter due to go out on monday coming. Dont know how to respond to this letter, just ignore it or to tell them thanks but you have to keep to the timescale??

Surely they are just trying delaying tactics.....

Fiona

8) FoxyFiona

Hi Guys,

Just sent of my LBA letter yesterday and today received an offer of good will in the post. My claim is for £9427 and they have offered £1257.....

Their letter reads..

"Having carried out a full investigation, I can assure you that charges do not contravene those regulations and therefore I cannot agree to refund all of them. However as a gesture of goodwill I am happy to refund £1257."

It later goes on to say..

"The charges were correct, because you did not have enough money in your account to cover payments requested from it. When I looked at the history for your account I found that unfortunately this was not the first time this has happened"

They then go on to tell me how fair they have been and if I want to discuss it I can ring them on whatever number or if I need any help managing my account to contact a different number!!!!

To be honest it has left me a bit gobsmacked bacuse surely if the account had been ran to the book I wouldnt have had any charges but if they hadnt charged me an astronomical amount for everything I wouldnt have got in such a mess in the second place?? And what makes me a bit angry is I rang the bank several times asking for help and was given none. I ended up stopping all my direct debits and surrendering my debit card in a desperate attempt to stop the rollercoater.

Its totally given me a headache now because I didnt exect an offer yet and certainly not such a low one!?!?

Anyone any suggestions......

Fiona

8) FoxyFiona

Don't be dissapointed you have had GOGW payment before you have even issued your claim. Your story seems to mirror mine, got a GOGW payment of £1100 couple of days before receiving abbey defence and further 50% offer from DLA Piper.I did not even acknowledge GOGW just informed the court that I had received a partial payment of my claim. You should just adjust your claim amount to account for the £1257 and carry on with your claim for the rest. You could write to abbey and accept the money as partial payment of your claim against them. I am afraid people like us that have been stung the most are also being treated the worst and frced all the way to the court room door. I think their mind set is that if we were that stupid to let them take so much money from us then we are to stupid to go to court. Just shows how wrong they can be. Good luck with your claim.

Regards bish.

Abbey : £8070.41*PAID IN FULL*14/02/07:D

Capital one : LBA sent 17/09/06 £1,087.22

Marbles : LBA sent 17/09/06 £720.00 ; £720 offer accepted:D

Hey Fiona,

I think it's at this point that you actually file your claim in the county court or at MCOL...... I've had a look at the step-by-step instructions and it says you can accept their offer as PARTIAL payment and that you will continue with your claim to recover full funds.

hope this helps!

Karen x

Prelim request letter sent 19/10/06

Reply from complaints Dept received 01/11/06

GOGW received 11/11/06 for £210