v5 confusion

joemaries
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4663 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I posted this earlier but it got deleted and i've no idea why. I bought a car in October last year from a small garage. He gave me the v5 document to fill and send off. For no reason whatsoever I forgot to send it and finally got round to sending it last week.

Last night I got flashed by a speed canera, totally my own fault as I wasn't concentrating. I was wandering what the outcomes of this could be. I.e. will I be liable for a fine from dvla as well as from police. I realise that the mess is all my own fault and am willing to pay any fines which may arise.

Many thanks for any replies

Two separate matters here and two separate organisations who probably have minimal contact and don't transfer back of information.

To clarify what happened?

1. DVLA/V5C.

What did you send in "last week"?

'Your' slip that should have been given to you by the Seller?

Or the rest of the V5C that should have been sent in by the Seller?

Or the entire V%C complete without your slip detached?

In the same envelope and was anything dated?

I don't know how they process these things or if they note written dates, and pounce accordingly, or just record when they receive them.

2. CAMERA.

Was it just a deterant flash or was the camera live with a recording camera? (not a lot are - but Sod's Law...). You just don't know. Time will tell.

If it was live, the operator (Police etc) will enquire of DVLA as to who is/was the RK.

Here is where the Seller might be involved if DVLA had not processed the change by the time of the enquiry - generally no more than a day of the live flash. The Seller's duty would be to tell them the vehicle was sold to you on xxx date. Maybe come clean with him in readyness and have a mutually supporting story.

His reply would be to the camera people, not DVLA, so you might get away with the not informing DVLA earlier - but the speeding matter continues.

Assuming the Seller gives your details to the Police, they will contact you about the speeding and probably nothing else (assuming it is Insured, Tested etc). Same result as if DVLA had processed the change by the time of the enquiry.

Hi,thanks for your reply, he left me the rest of the V5C that should have been sent by the seller. He had signed it with the date of sale and I have signed with last weeks date.

With regards to the camera it was one that I would assume to be live (hopefully no film, it wasn't the new digital one). I just hope that i don't face further sanction other than the speeding.

• 2 weeks later...

The V5C must be filled in and signed by both the Seller and new Keeper in section 8. This part of the document must be sent by the Seller to the DVLA immediately. Assuming that you are not a registered trader, Section 9 can be destroyed and section 10 ONLY should be handed to you as the new Keeper. As the vehicle was not being exported, section 11 can be destroyed.

You were under no obligation to send the V5C to the DVLA when you found it, but rather you should have returned it to the Seller for them to do so. Due to the circumstance of your now having activated a static speed camera, you really should inform the Seller of the delay.

The Seller is the one who is liable to a penalty and or summons for the failure to notify. As the requirement is to immediately send it to DVLA, it cannot be prosecuted after 6 months due to it being 'time barred' as a summary offence so the Seller would thus have a defence.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

• 4 weeks later...