• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Claim Form - arrow global/HBOS CC. *** DISCONTINUED ***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3537 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mooshy,

No idea what the 12th September is about either ...that makes it 8 weeks from next Monday. Probably because they envision having difficulties locating the documents. Trouble is, if you agree to this then they get more chance to come up with them and you can't submit an N244 until after that date. However in view of everything else that you're having to deal with at the moment, exams, new baby etc, then at least it will give you some breathing space. Meanwhile, if they cannot come up with the docs, they may also still discontinue. Waiting game now...plus your SAR should be back soon.

If it's been stated that the defence should be in by 20th, then I think it means by 4pm on 20th. So you should be OK ringing first thing tomorrow if it's really impossible today. However I'm a cautious cat and never like leaving anything to chance or last minute, so if it was me I'd make sure the court got some notice today. Any chance your husband could fax them? Failing that ring them to inform them and state that you will phone and confirm tomorrow and forward the sols letter. Alternatively, if you signed a letter ready to go, if theirs arrives today could he copy/send by next day delivery to court? Only you know what's feasible :-)

Elsa x

Morning Elsa,

Ok Mon i e mailed the court and attached copy of e mail from solicitors.

Monday i posted copy of letter from solicitors recorded would have arrived yesterday.

This morning i phoned the court-lady said they were five days behind looking at mail and that i shouldny worry because even if they tried to obtain a judgement today it wouldnt stand because i have the letter-she said worst case would be that i`d have to pay for more time to defend or something like that. Anyway i felt like phoning was a complete waste of time !

Dec 2006 SARS request :p

5th Feb 2007 initial request inc list of charges totalling £1706.50 without 8% interest :o

15th Feb 2007"bog off " letter received.:(

19th Feb 2007 LBA sent with further copy of charges:|

4th April £750 goodwill gesture paid into bank

11th Aug 2007-another £704 charges since and lloyds served me with enforcement notoice

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Well got back from hol yesterday and nothing has arrived from anyone.

SAR not been acknowledged.

Nothing from Arrow who wanted more time to gather documents.

Had e mail from court basically saying i needed to pay to be granted an extension-i`ll copy and paste it...

Good morning,

Thank you for your email, the contents of which have been noted and the letter placed on file as requested. Any agreement you have made with the claimant is between yourselves - if you wish to make a formal application to extend the time to file your defence you may do so on the attached form N244 with a fee of £45.00. This would then be placed before the District Judge for consideration.

Regards,

So what should i do now ?

Wait until Arrow come up with docs or put in something which asks for claim to be thrown out ?

Any ideas welcome.

And thanksx

5th Feb 2007 initial request inc list of charges totalling £1706.50 without 8% interest :o

11th Aug 2007-another £704 charges since and lloyds served me with enforcement notoice

Anyone x

I understood you did have the claimants agreement and in writing.There is no charge for an extension providing its not longer than 28 days.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

Well got back from hol yesterday and nothing has arrived from anyone.

SAR not been acknowledged. When is the 40 days to comply up?

Nothing from Arrow who wanted more time to gather documents. Have you given them a deadline for this? If not I suggest you write to them again and give them 7 days.

Had e mail from court basically saying i needed to pay to be granted an extension-i`ll copy and paste it...

Good morning,

Thank you for your email, the contents of which have been noted and the letter placed on file as requested. Any agreement you have made with the claimant is between yourselves - if you wish to make a formal application to extend the time to file your defence you may do so on the attached form N244 with a fee of £45.00. This would then be placed before the District Judge for consideration.

Regards,

So what should i do now ?

Wait until Arrow come up with docs or put in something which asks for claim to be thrown out ?

Any ideas welcome.

And thanksx

As things stand when is your defence due?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Elsa and everyone,

I`m at a loss again now so thought i`d recap on here and ask you where i should go from here.

If you remember i am primarily aiming to avoid a CCj , either through mediation oOK so to summarise :

Debt just under £5000 is an HBOSlink3.gif Credit Card.

Account purchased by Arrow Global 2010

Date of last payment not known ????? Stat Barred

???? PPIlink3.giflink3.gif / charges

Claim issued 6th June via Northhampton

POC: The claimants claim is for the sum of 4.536.42 being monies due from the defendant to the claimant under a regulated agreement between the defendant and HBOSlink3.gif.

(no. xxxxxxxxx) and assigned to the claimant on oct 8 2010, notice of which has been provided to the defendant.

The defendant has failed to make a payment in accordance with the terms of the agreement and a default notice has been served persuant to the consumer credit act 1974.

And the claimant claims the sum of 4,536.42.

Acknowledgent and intention to defend all done online

CPR 31.14 and SARlink3.gif (to Hbos )sent (6th July)

Extension verbally granted by sols until 20th July - now confirmed in writing.

Contacted the solicitors when 7 days post CPR was up and they apologised , said they had found my letter which had not be looked at and that they would not be pursuing the matter but handing it back i assume to Arrow.

I asked for him to confirm this in writing and received this >>>>>

Dear Madam,

Our client XXXXXX

Claim no. XXXXXX

Sum outstanding XXXXXXX

Account no XXXXXXX

We write in relation to the above matter and further to your recent letter.

The required information has been requested from our client and will be provided to you upon receipt by us.

No further action will be taken until we are able to respond to you.

18th July letter as follows .........

Dear Madam

Our client: Arrow Global Limited

Claim number: XXXXXXX

Sum outstanding: £4,536.42

Account number: XXXXXX

We write in relation to the above matter and further to your recent letter.

The required information has been requested from our client and will be provided to you upon receipt by us.

No further action will be taken until we are able to respond to you. We can confirm our file is on hold until 12 September 2011.

Yours faithfully

So my original defence was due in 20th July and that included a 14 day extension.

They have since confirmed that no action will be taken until after 12th sept while they gather the requested documents.

My SAR from Halifax never arrived.

i still have nothing and feel wide open to a CCj.

Was thinking about submitting an N244 now before the 12th Sep as per Elsa`s prev post ?

I dont want to risk a CCj.

Court have a copy of letter from solicitors requesting more time.

Any ideas ? x

Its not SB i found a direct debit paymentb to them about 4 or 5 years ago.

Hmmm,

If 12th Sept is the cut off point for submitting your defence, then I think in all fairness you should have received something by now - either the requested docs or a further extension, as you should be allowed 14 days from receipt of docs to prepare your defence.

Andy's the expert here, see what he says, Mooshy, but I think you need to ring the sols again and ask when they intend to comply as you would now have less than 14 days to prepare a defence.

Alternatively, maybe they've had long enough and it's their own fault for starting this without the required docs and for not giving you enough time, so might be best to go straight for the N244.

Andy?

I think I would be looking to wards entering a defence based purely on their antics thus far, well in advance of the 12th Sept.

Its obvious they are not going to disclose or discontinue. An application to strike out may be an option but its not a guarantee to dispense with this matter.

A defence detailing their behavior and your efforts so far to clarification.Request further disclosure or strike out within the defence.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

• 2 weeks later...

hi both,

well I rang the solicitors today and asked them why I still hadn't received the Requested documents. the lady said they hadn't received anything from the claimants yet. I explained that even if they receive them tomorrow they then have to get them to me and I now have no time AGAIN to prepa a defence as the extension runs out on 12th Sept . I really don't think I can manage going through all the extension and ringing the courts and letter to judge etc again. Not only am I working full time and more again this week but my poor Dad has had a heart attack and is hopefully going for a triple by pass in the next few days ! I KNOW I will not be able to do anything now before the 12th unless it's at this tiime of night .

Anyway, the lady said shed contact the claimants and get back to me but would prob ask me for another extension, this would effectively be the 3 rd .

Elsa have I got anything to lose by just filling out the NN24. I'm sure you've done me a sample one in an earlier post ?

SAr was ignored also btw !

X

Hi Mooshy,

I personally think they've had more than enough time. They shouldn't have issued the damn claim without these docs to hand.

I don't think you have anything to lose by putting in an N244 apart from the application fee...but Andy may know otherwise and is far more knowledgeable than I am so wait and see what he says.

I believe the alternative is to submit a holding defence and then ask for an order when the submit the Allocation Questionairre, as per this thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?131499

Sorry to hear about your Dad...you've got enough on your plate without all this.

Hugs,

Elsa x

PS I'm in the middle of house renovations at the moment so not able to spend much time on here, but I'll keep an eye on your thread.

You have 3 options Mooshy, accept another extension or make application to comply or submit an holding defence.IMHO and considering the behavior of these Muppet's so far you would well be in your rights to make application to order disclosure or strike out. This pantomime as gone on far too long now.

Regards

Andy

Thanks all-so how do i apply for a strike out ?

i`ll be gone for a few hours but will come on later tonight .

can allocate some time and read up etc but would appreciate any pointers

And thank you .

Hi

Anyone about today. I,ve some time today to do what ever i need to do next.

Ok i was going to put in an N244 but reading a previous post from Elsa i cant do this until after 12th Sep (tomorrow ).

The agreed deadline is up tomorrow so i am open entirely again to judgement.

They have totally messed me around.

I have absolutely nothing to defend with.

They have not returned calls or come up with the information i requested.

Can someone please tell me what i need to do to apply for the courts to throw this out ?

I can do this this afternoon but am getting confused.

I am happy to put in N244 today if it helps ?

I just dont want a judgement x

Ok . Spent too long reading other threads again.

I fill it in online and print it off i think or should i hand write it ?

Can i paste it on here pls before i print off ? x

Grrrrrr-ok i cant fit all all i need into box 3 on n244 - any ideas x

Type in Box 3 see attached and do a separate sheet?

• Confused 1

Thank you

Hows this so far in box 10...........

On 6th July, following service of the Claim Form in this case, I wrote to the Claimant's Solicitors requesting inspection of documents mentioned in the Particulars of Claim pursuant to CPR 31.14.

I also wrote to the originators (Halifax) enclosing a Subject Access Request and included the ten pounds required fee.

An extension to 20th July for filing my defence was agreed and confirmed in writing.

A copy of this confirmation, marked "B" is attached.

On 14th July i contacted the claimants solicitors for verbal confirmation that the requested documents were going to be made available to me within the requested timescale . The solicitor informed me that he was sorry but they still had not received the requested documents from the originators and would be passing the case back to the originators.I asked for this in writing and received another letter which i have attached marked " C ", stating the required information had been requested from their client again and would be provided to myself uopn receipt by themselves. They also asked me for more time to do this and put the file on hold until 12th September (8 weeks ).

Please see continuation sheet marked " D "

documentation. I was told that once again the originator had failed to provide the requested information . I was told they would contact the originator and get back to me by the end of the day. I have heard nothing and the 8 weeks I agreed to allow the claimant more time to gather the information has now again expired. It appears they have issued the claim without being in possession of the documentation. They stated that they had referred back to their client on several occasions and the information would be provided when they received it, and that no further action would be taken until they are able to respond. The documents sought by my request are essential for the proper preparation of my defence and the determination of the claim and CPR 31.14 affords me a right to inspect those documents. I am concerned that the claimant`s continuous requests for extending the time frame, for now almost 3 months, puts me at risk of a default judgement without having the opportunity to defend myself.