• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

My endless Quest again Northern Rock

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3328 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does a sale (or exchange of contracts) take priority over a 0S1 priority search?

http://www.phewconveyancing.co.uk/articles/conveyancing-faq-answers-for-your-conveyancing-questions#20

20. What is Priority Search (OS1)?

A priority search is carried out by a solicitor with the Land Registry against the title number revealed in the OCE. This gives a 30 day priority to register client’s interest before any other third party can. This is crucial because between completion of a house purchase and registration of the house purchase there is always a delay and there is a chance that if a priority search is not carried out before completion a third party may register an adverse entry (such as a charge) before the property is registered by the solicitor. A priority search will also reveal if anyone has already registered any adverse entries before the day of completion.

Yes Mark, I am Bones

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a mortgage offer with full details of the loan, conditions etc is dated BEFORE the 31st October 2004, but the mortgage deed is after, what is it?

"The effect of the Regulated Activities Order is that mortgage contracts which are varied can fall into one of the following categories:

(1) a contract that was entered into before 31 October 2004, and that is subsequently varied on or after that date so that is satisfies the conditions set out in PERG 4.4.1 G (1) to PERG 4.4.1 G (3), will not be a regulated mortgage contract (because it was not a regulated mortgage contract at the time it was entered into);"

I found the above, but am guessing that its not a regulated mortgage contract?

Were the funds released before, on or after 31st October 2004 ?

Yes Mark, I am Bones

• 1 month later...

I feel you need to do some more research on what you have posted. However, this might interest you and be of benefit to you

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2868617/Taxpayers-left-258m-bill-High-Court-orders-Northern-Rock-bad-bank-compensate-41-000-charged-customers.html

I have not had the opportunity to read the entire case but this might also be of interest to you

NRAM Plc v McAdam & Anor [2014] EWHC 4174 (Comm) (10 December 2014)

Yes Mark, I am Bones

bhall, please can you elaborate.

I will give you the highlights that may interest you most (please bear in mind the date of your agreement when considering if the below is applicable to you)

11. It is not in issue that the documents produced in this case, relating to the Defendants, are in the same form as that used for all borrowers during the period from 31 May 2005 until the withdrawal of the Together Mortgage product in March 2008, whether borrowing an unsecured amount of less than £25,000 (the "under £25Ks") or of more than £25,000 (the "over £25Ks"). There were some differences in the statutory wording used in the documentation prior to 31 May 2005 but it was not suggested that these were material to the issues which I have to decide. S.2 of the 2006 Act in fact provided for the removal of the £25,000 limit, but did not come into effect until 6 April 2008, whereafter all these agreements, if then entered into, would have been regulated.

26. In the course of argument, I suggested that the construction being contended for by the Defendants was a whether or not contract rather than an as if contract, and I came to prefer that as a description. I conclude that, on the proper construction of the loan agreement, as contended by the Defendants, it was agreed, whether or not it was a regulated agreement, that it was to be treated as if it was one, such that the over £25Ks and the under £25Ks would all be treated the same. Like Bingham MR, I do not see insuperable difficulties in the fact that the paraphernalia of the regulated agreement would not entirely apply. Indeed in this case there are, as became clear in the light of an exchange of written submissions after the hearing, a number of respects in which, by referring to the legislation, terms are incorporated into the contract, which supplement the express provisions already made in the agreement. Although there is, as Mr Waters submitted (paragraph 17(iii) above), reference in the Agreement to issues such as cancellation and notice, there is no doubt that, by the incorporation or implication of provisions such as Sections 77 (giving of information to debtor), 83 (liability for misuse of credit facilities), 88 (contents and effect of default notice), 89 (compliance with default notice) and 97 (duty to give information in relation to early payment), much clearer and fuller protection is given to the borrower. I am satisfied that, on a proper construction of the Agreement, whether by reference to the concept of incorporation (so far as applicable), which I prefer, or implication, the Defendants were given the rights under and benefits of a regulated agreement whether or not it was a regulated agreement.

28. I am satisfied that the Defendants are entitled to recover, pursuant to contract, the Section 77A repayments.

This could also be of interest to others with agreements also worded similar with other lenders

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/77A

Part VI

Matters Arising During Currency of Credit or Hire Agreements

[F177AStatements to be provided in relation to fixed-sum credit agreements

[F2(1)The creditor under a regulated agreement for fixed-sum credit must give the debtor statements under this section.

(1A)The statements must relate to consecutive periods.

(1B)The first such period must begin with either—

(a)the day on which the agreement is made, or

(b)the day the first movement occurs on the debtor's account with the creditor relating to the agreement.

(1C)No such period may exceed a year.

(1D)For the purposes of subsection (1C), a period of a year which expires on a non-working day may be regarded as expiring on the next working day.

(1E)Each statement under this section must be given to the debtor before the end of the period of thirty days beginning with the day after the end of the period to which the statement relates.]

(2)Regulations may make provision about the form and content of statements under this section.

(3)The debtor shall have no liability to pay any sum in connection with the preparation or the giving to him of a statement under this section.

(4)The creditor is not required to give the debtor any statement under this section once the following conditions are satisfied—

(a)that there is no sum payable under the agreement by the debtor; and

(b)that there is no sum which will or may become so payable.

(5)Subsection (6) applies if at a time before the conditions mentioned in subsection (4) are satisfied the creditor fails to give the debtor—

(a)a statement under this section within the period mentioned in subsection [F3(1E)] ; [F4or]

(b)

[F4such a statement within the period of one year beginning with the day after the day on which such a statement was last given to him.]

(6)Where this subsection applies in relation to a failure to give a statement under this section to the debtor—

(a)the creditor shall not be entitled to enforce the agreement during the period of non-compliance;

(b)the debtor shall have no liability to pay any sum of interest to the extent calculated by reference to the period of non-compliance or to any part of it; and

©the debtor shall have no liability to pay any default sum which (apart from this paragraph)—

(i)would have become payable during the period of non-compliance; or

(ii)would have become payable after the end of that period in connection with a breach of the agreement which occurs during that period (whether or not the breach continues after the end of that period).

(7)In this section ‘the period of non-compliance’ means, in relation to a failure to give a statement under this section to the debtor, the period which—

(a)begins immediately after the end of the period mentioned in F5. . . subsection (5); and

(b)ends at the end of the day on which the statement is given to the debtor or on which the conditions mentioned in subsection (4) are satisfied, whichever is earlier.

(8)This section does not apply in relation to a non-commercial agreement or to a small agreement.

[F6(9)This section does not apply where the holder of a current account overdraws on the account without a pre-arranged overdraft or exceeds a pre-arranged overdraft limit.]]

Yes Mark, I am Bones

so what can be reclaimed back on these loans?

and

what would happen if they got a charging order on these loans?

31. Goode, despite his reservation as to judicial conservatism in 23.9, "suggested that the principle to be applied is as follows: the creditor is estopped from resiling from all express statements as to the debtor's rights and immunities (whether expressed directly or by reference to the [1974 Act]) which could validly have been made terms of the agreement and which represent the common assumption of the parties. With regard to terms which are not expressly spelled out in the agreement, the position is more doubtful. If the estoppel principle were to be taken to its logical conclusion, the debtor might be entitled to avail himself of [and a number of provisions are set out]." It is not in my judgment necessary to deal with the minutiae of Goode's considerations there. I have already concluded that Section 77A is one of the provisions of which the Claimants can take advantage, and there are a number of others, set out in paragraph 26 above, including Sections 77, 83, 88, 89 and 97. It would in my judgment be sufficient to say that the representation by which the Claimant would be estopped would be that the Defendants were entitled to the rights and benefits endowed on a party to a regulated agreement, insofar as that party could take advantage of them.

Conclusion

33. With regard to the proposed declarations set out in paragraph 10 above, I shall hear further arguments from counsel in relation to the form of any order but:

(i) I am satisfied that the rights and remedies in relation to Section 77A were imported into the Agreement.

(ii) I conclude that the Claimant was in breach of its obligations under the Agreement by virtue of its failure to indemnify the Defendants in respect of its breach of Section 77A.

Yes Mark, I am Bones

• 3 months later...
I have no idea why NRAM called it a mortgage. It is not, in law.

I dont understand the relevance of the other questions? Was there ever a mortgage, was it over 25k, did you borrow are immaterial.

the fact remains there is NO mortgage.

I dont understand your point. You seem to be suggesting that a 'mortgage' can be a mortage without following the statutory legislation??

That is obviously wrong, is it not?

I also find it "implausible" that 9.2 million people in the UK would just repay a mortgage without checking if it is in fact a 'mortgage' following statutory legislation.

I think the point is that you have asked a question and to enable someone to answer it, Caro has asked you both rational and sensible questions.

If you want an answer to a question, I am sorry you will have to provide further information.

Yes Mark, I am Bones

Showing a little more courtesy to the people that post in response to your numerous posts about nram, would not go a miss either. You might get more people responding to you

• Haha 1

Yes Mark, I am Bones