Mis-selling Advantage Gold by NatWest

patmac3
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm new to the site - I have been trying to find out as much as I can about mis-selling of Premium Bank accounts and came across this site and hope that I may find some help here.

My godson who is 21 dropped out of College last year and his only banking access was with his Natwest student account - which rarely had more that £5 in it.

In February he went into his local NatWest ( the same branch as his Student account) with his brother and asked to open a current account. At this time he was working in the family cafe and earning £400/month, on the payroll, and paid to him as cash - essentially pocket money. Sadly the business folded in March and he went off to old college friends and did some odd jobs here and there.

When he returned home 2 weeks ago he found a pile of letters waiting including 3 statements from NatWest showing charges of £416 against his 'Advantage Gold Account.'

When he went to the Bank in February he remembers that he and his brother asked about opening a current account were taken into a small room with a lady bank employee who engeged in what his brother calls a 'massive conversation' about bank accounts. My godson's only recollection of what was said was that 'he could have mobile phone cover'

The account has never been used - he has had no money to put into it and he has taken nothing out, nor used any of the 'services' of Advantage Gold.

I went into the Bank with him last weekend and asked them to shut the account immediately - this can only be done with one month's notice - with - of course- another £180 added ( at £6/day unarranged overdraft fee) We were allowed to ring the payments dept whilst at the Bank and I managed to speak to the helpful NatWest employee who ascertained that he was unable to pay off a minimum of £100/m and who volunteered that he may have been mis sold the account !

She has put in a complaint about misselling and we must await word from the Bank about this.

Do members think that this has been mis-sold? What tips for our case?

I feel that a customer with only a previous student account (which, when the advantage gold A/C was opened had £1.99 in it and no regular payments showing into it) should not have been considered for a premium account - especially as their income was so low.

Any views and help would be much appreciated

patmac3

I notice they say they publisher customers' comments every 6 months on their website

We’re committed to becoming Britain’s most Helpful Bank

And you'll be the judge

Every six months we'll publish a report to let you see how well we have fulfilled our commitments and identify any areas which need improvement. It will also include a full range of customer comments.

Might be worth submitting your comments there - I presume they'll publish it as part of their 'full' range if not resolved.

--

I don't actually know on this one, but even common sense says a premium account which is charged for is not suitable for someone on that sort of income.