• Tweets

• Hello all,   I ordered a laptop online about 16 months ago. The laptop was faulty and I was supposed to send it back within guarantee but didn't for various reasons. I contacted the company a few months later and they said they will still fix it for me free of charge but I'd have to pay to send it to them and they will pay to send it back to me. The parcel arrived there fine. Company had fixed it and they sent it via dpd. I was working in the office so I asked my neighbours who would be in, as there's been a history of parcel thefts on our street. I had 2 neighbours who offered but when I went to update delivery instructions, their door number wasn't on the drop down despite sharing the same post code.  I then selected a neighbour who I thought would likely be in and also selected other in the safe place selection and put the number of the neighbour who I knew would definitely be in and they left my parcel outside and the parcel was stolen. DPD didn't want to deal with me and said I need to speak to the retailer. The retailer said DPD have special instructions from them not to leave a parcel outside unless specified by a customer. The retailer then said they could see my instructions said leave in a safe space but I have no porch. My front door just opens onto the road and the driver made no attempt to conceal it.  Anyway, I would like to know if I have rights here because the delivery wasn't for an item that I just bought. It was initially delivered but stopped working within the warranty period and they agreed to fix it for free.  Appreciate your help 🙏🏼   Thanks!
    • As the electric carmaker sees sales fall and cuts jobs, we take a closer look at its problems.View the full article
    • Care to briefly tell someone who isn't tech savvy - i.e. me! - how you did this? Every day is a school day.
    • Hi Guys, well a year on and my friend has just received this in the post today, obviously a little scared so looking for more of your advice.  Letter from the NCC dated 1-May-2024 is as follows.......   Before deputy district judge Haythorne sitting at the national business centre, 4th floor st Kathrine's house Northampton Upon reading an application from the claimant  it is ordered that  1. The claim be sent to the county court at #### (Friends local Court) Because this order has been made without a hearing, the parties have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed.  A party making such an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of service of this order.  If the application is one which requires a hearing, and a) the party making the application is the defendant: and b) the defendant is an individual, then upon filing of the application the claim will be transferred to the defendants home court.  In all other cases requiring a hearing the claim will be transferred to the preferred court.    As a result of an order made on the 1 May 2024, this claim has been transferred to the county court at ##### (friends local court) 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Warrant applied for please help CANCELLED

kilkenny
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4257 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ring the court first thing in the morning and ask if it is appropriate to put in an application for a hearing to further suspend the eviction given that the matter is not yet settled and the FOS are trying to sort it out. If they say yes, you will need to download an N244 and get it completed and over to the court asap to get a hearing on Thursday or Friday.

They won't turn up to evict on Friday - but, they could next week if the claimant asks for enforcement of the warrant following non payment on the 27th.

I would be tempted to ask for a hearing to further suspend - if you can prove that you have a buyer for your house and a mortgage in principle for the new one together with the info from the FOS you could show that the claimant is frustrating your attempts to settle the matter. There is also the matter of holding you to ransom with the request to sign away your rights.

To be honest, now might be the time to get a solicitor involved to go to court with you.

Ell

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ring the court first thing in the morning and ask if it is appropriate to put in an application for a hearing to further suspend the eviction given that the matter is not yet settled and the FOS are trying to sort it out. If they say yes, you will need to download an N244 and get it completed and over to the court asap to get a hearing on Thursday or Friday.

They won't turn up to evict on Friday - but, they could next week if the claimant asks for enforcement of the warrant following non payment on the 27th.

I would be tempted to ask for a hearing to further suspend - if you can prove that you have a buyer for your house and a mortgage in principle for the new one together with the info from the FOS you could show that the claimant is frustrating your attempts to settle the matter. There is also the matter of holding you to ransom with the request to sign away your rights.

To be honest, now might be the time to get a solicitor involved to go to court with you.

Ell

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Does anyone know if a broker is an appointed representative to a mortgage network then can he go an do a deal direct with a lender? We believe the mortgage we have which is a bridging loan has been done directly with the lender and the appointed representative without knowledge or permission from the principal.:evil:

Not 100% but I guess there would be certain procedures and guidance in the various parts of the depths of the FSA Handbook and also any agreements / contracts between the Appointed Rep and Principal.

If there are things you are not happy with would it be worth sending in a written Formal Complaint to the Compliance Officer at the Appointed Rep and to the Principal company and see what wriggles???

This then also sets the clocks ticking for the 8 weeks as to referring your complaint to the FOS if required.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. We don't think the appointed rep had permission to deal with the lender he dealt with and that he did the deal direct. We are in a nightmare situation with the lender who have threatened us with damages etc if we complain to anyone.:sad:

• 1 month later...

Do you know whether the procuration fee that the appointed rep received was paid direct, or to the principal. It should say on the KFI (Key Facts Illustration) the broker gave to you or the offer document. Wgat was the name of the lender and the bridging company?

Thanks for your reply. We don't think the appointed rep had permission to deal with the lender he dealt with and that he did the deal direct. We are in a nightmare situation with the lender who have threatened us with damages etc if we complain to anyone.:sad:

Hi kilkenny,

The appointed representative will only be an appointed representative of the principle for business regulated by the FSA. Unfortunately, this does not include the vast majority of bridging loans, second charge loans or commercial loans including buy to let. The Appointed Representative may have agreed not to go outside of panel for unregulated business, or may have complete freedom to do so, depending on his agreement with his principle.

Because the loans are not RMC's (Regulated Mortgage Contracts), you will not have been issued with a Key Facts Illustration; it is actually a rule breach to use the Key Facts Logo other than as permitted/required by the FSA. Because of this you are unlikely to have had the procuration fee disclosed in the same way as for an RMC, but my understanding is the law of agency probably entitles you to disclosure anyway.

Complaining to both AR and the principle is good advice, as whilst the FSA may not be interested in complaints in relation to non-regulated contracts, the indemnity insurers will be, and will normally expect any complaint which could result in a claim on the indemnity policy being treated in the same way and with the same seriousness as a complaint concerning a regulated contract. :)

• 3 months later...

Sorry for not replying have been off line and have almost given up hope. We have now received a provisional decision from the Ombudsman which is in our favour although she has not commented on many things and we have responded again she may issue her final decision soon. Our point is that the broker did a deal direct with the lender and we do not believe he has the permission to do that. The lender is not on the principals lenders panel and there is no documents to say that he had permission to go off panel or why he did that.

• 2 weeks later...

:lol:Hi we have been fighting and trying to stave of repossession for one year.

We complained to the FOS that we had been unfairly treated, overcharged and blocked time and time again from redeeming a bridging loan.

We were helped so much by this site and managed to avoid eviction in March.

To cut a long story short the FOS took for ever but finally issued a provisional decision in July in our favour and then asked for further comments before a final decision is issued which we are now waitng for.

We put forward further points to the FOS which included how we felt we had been missold etc.

The lenders response was to proceed to tell us he was going to evict us.

This morning we have checked the FSA register and found that the lender is now closed to regulated business we checked the restriction and it says that the lender cannot amongs many other things take any necessary steps for the purposes of recovering payments due under the contract from the borrower. They can only do this once those steps have been approved by an independent person to be agreed with the FSA.

Does anyone know then whether or not they can evict us as it seems they can only do this with approval by the FSA

Are you under a suspended possession order?

Have they applied for an eviction order?

You have the right to appeal against the eviction right up to the last minute and I would think you have now two defences - the mortgage / arrears are in dispute and the case decision is pending and also the fact about the lenders licence.

If you could post a few more details about the FOS ruling that may help other posters.

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

We had an outright possession order.

Even though we told the Judge that the monies owed were disputed and the interest had been incorrectly applied he said his hands were tied and under the Law and Property Act had to give the lender a possession order.

We continued our complaint with the FOS but they were powerless to help as they have procedures which means they have to give the lender time.

it took from September 08 to February 09 to get an adjudicators decision.

The lender did not agree it and he went to court to enforce the possession order that was made in November 08.

We argued that we could sell our house as we had a purchaser but we needed to get a mortgage to buy their house we were effectively doing a house swap.

The judge allowed us time to complete our new mortgage and sell our house.

He gave us four weeks.

We had a mortgage in place but when the mortgage was with the underwriter the underwriter requested confrimation from our existing lender of the terms of our loan with them.

The lender said he would only provide it if we withdrew our complaint with the FOS and the FSA also our MP and that we would not pursue the broker who we believed had missold the loan in the first place.

He also wanted us to sign a Court order that we would not complain any further and agree all his figures.

We couldn't do this and the case went on.

The lender did not try to enforce his possession order by evicting us.

He threatened us with a damages claim against us and told us he was looking for compensation from us for the damage we caused to his company.

He told the FOS my husband had a bad mouth and that he was going to involve the Police.

He also lied that he had been trying to do a deal through our solicitors and that the FOS had stopped him. It was all unture.

We kept phoning the FSA but they just repeated they could not deal with individual complaints.

The lender told the Adjudicator that if he processed our case to final decision then he would go back to Court to evict us.

We continued fighting and last week the lender told us he applied to the Court to evict us as he had been stopped doing a deal to settle.

It seems the FSA have now stepped in to stop this lender.

They are now closed to regulated business.

Once we have a final decision and outcome I will post all the advice I can to help anyone in our position.

We intend to go to Court to halt the possession process on the basis that the firm are now not alllowed to take any steps to recover any monies due without approval from the FSA.

We are hopeful that now finally the regulator has agreed we have been unfairly treated.

We are still waiting for the FOS comments but at the moment our advice is in the face of the FOS inaction persist with your complaint and do not give in.

We did not give up and finally got the FSA to take notice.

Well done. I do recall reading your previous threads now.

Hope you get your final justice plus some sort of compensation for all you have been through.

It does not seem fair that you have to fight so hard to correct errors that are so obvious.

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi Cyberdad,

Our bridging loan was a regulated mortgage contract as it was a first charge on our only residential property. We have been dealing with the FOS who agree it was a regulated mortgage contract. We have now seeon the FSA register that the lender are now closed to regulated business FSA and stated they can only assist in contacting all borrowers to find out if they had an exit route, also they must assist the FSA in providing redemption figures. They are also only allowed to assist the

FSA in taking any action to recover monies due.

we thought it was all over but. The FSA tell us today that although the lender is now closed to regulated business applying to enforce a possession order is not regulated business and so technically then can carry on. The lenders solicitor told me today that they intend to do exactly that and have applied to reissue a warrant for eviction - we are expecting that to drop on the mat any day. I know that I can apply again to suspend the warrant but am worried that his might all be over the District Judge's head and he will simply order the eviction. It seems unbelievable that our complaint to the FOS has led to the FSA taking action again this firm but no one can step in and stop him repossessing us. Can someone please remind me how I go about suspending the possession order as my brain is like mud and I cannot think straight.

This really is too complicated for me. If the courts say that their hands are tied I would assume that they are saying that because they are dealing purely with the arrears and subsequent breach of contract. The problems with the actual mortgage would be have to be dealt with by a separate court claim by yourself against the lender if you had no joy with the FOS. When you say there was an adjudicators decision what did he rule? Do they have no power over the lender?

There is only one thing that springs to mind. I assume that there will be negative equity and to get that money they will have to go to court again to get a judgement / money order - you could then use your case to dispute the amount then.

Ell-enn is the person you need but I think that your only defence would be

you can clear the arrears

you are trying to sell but the lender has stopped you doing that?

There is a pending case with the FOS and the lender have not taken the action required

grasping at straws I am afraid really.

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi there, if the eviction warrant arrives you need to enter an N244 application for a hearing to suspend the warrant - I can help you with the defence statement for that if you need me to.

If the lender has stopped you selling your property by effectively blackmailing you, then I think the judge will be VERY interested in that!

Gather together all the info you can so we have it to hand when filling in the N244. You will need details of the offer for the property, anything which proves the lender stating you had to drop the complaint and also any letters etc from the FOS.

Ell-enn

Thanks Ellen, I can't believe I am having to do this all again..... I have e-mails passing between the lender and the FOS where he states that if the case is passed to an Ombudsman for final decison he will repossess. I also have all the e-mails where he states he wants us to withdraw all our complaints and then he would provide us with a reference for the new mortgage. I also have a letter from the mortgage broker saying the mortgage was turned down as the lender had refused to provide confirmation. Further I have a letter from the lender sent to the FOS saying he will go back to the court and tell the Judge he is not allowed to do a deal. I will also update the Court that the FSA have now closed the company to any regulated business and the lender's response is that applying to enforce a warrant is not regulated business.

Ellen I have all of that but am still terrified. I think the Judge was out of his depth last time and will simply order an eviction on the basis that the lender has a contractual right to possession and that all of this is not relevant to the issue of possession which was what he said when he gave them a possession order. Do you really think he will take notice of this new evidence? Sorry but I am running out of trust in human nature. My husband is ill and I am heading that way.....

Jansus,

We have no idea what amount is owed now. The lender has not provided us with an redmeption statement. They cannot do this without approval from the FSA and as yet the FSA have not put in their person. I believe he is going in tomorrow. We are not as far as I am aware in negative equity. The house is valued at 385,000 and the most we can possible owe now is 285,000. The FOS have adjudciated in our favour and the provisional decision is also in our favour and tells the lender they should reculate the loan with the proper interest and wipe their fees which amount to in excess of 10,000. They also said they would award us a sum for distress. We are waiting for a final decision. The reason the FOS can not step in re the possession proceedings is that the original possession order was made before the FOS got to grips with the case and issue their adjudication. The lender not surprisingly delayed and did not respond even after the 8 weeks.

Hi there, I understand how distressing this must be for you, but many things have changed since the last hearing. You have a lot of evidence to show that you have been frustrated in your attempt to sell the property and the lender has been "blackmailing" you- the judge has to take that into consideration.

Thanks Ellen - having a reall wobbly moment but will pull myself together and type up a defence statement. Can I put in an application to suspend now even though i have not received the Warrant as I know they have applied for it (I checked with the Court) or do I wait until I received it. Can you remind me how long I will have. I have 2 children under one who is just about to start A-levels. I have no money, can't rent and as far as I am aware even if I could sell tomorrow the company could not provide me with a redemption figure as the FSA have to approve it....

I would wait till the eviction notice comes (it may take longer than you think). I can help you with the statement, it is important to put the points across clearly - if you give the judge too much detail, some of it may get missed. Let me know when the notice arrives and we'll deal with it then.

Stay positive.

El

Usually 14 days, sometimes longer