#Employment : Urgent! Redundancy problem - ER wants answer after Bank Holiday!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4775 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OH works for large National company who have decided to close a division due to restructure of business. His part of the division is being merged into another part of the company. Initial announcements were made to affected parties on 31.3.11 but OH was not at meeting due to lack of notice (email invite at 9.am for conference call at 2pm same day followed by further email invite at 11am stating mandatory attendance - OH only has email at home and leaves for work at 5.am! Phone invite went to answerphone on mobile due to no reception in building where he worked that day - so unaware until after meeting).......

There was no contact after the meeting to OH on 31.3.11. On 1.4.11 general email sent to invitees of meeting giving general Q&A from meeting, which refers to business restructure and potential redundancies. A director also issued a co wide announcement but this was recalled and reissued with less detail.......

On 5.4.11 he received a skills training questionnaire - which he completed and returned. He needs to have national qualification to be able to work and this is nearing its 5yr renewal time (ends end of May 2011) He has repeatedly asked for training in the last two years but his employer has failed to arrange any training for the last 4 years due to 'no budget allocation for training' OH complained to management that he thought this was phishing as HR were unaware of his job details............

On 18.4.11 OH again received invite to phone meeting but was phoned with 2 hours notice - this time he was able to attend meeting and was told his role is 'at risk' due to change in scope of work - he is currently in charge of one area and they want to include another type of work in addition, therefore he needs to have qualifications in both disciplines. The ER stated they had completed an assessment based on the skills/qualifications held and job description - hence his post was at risk. He was told he ws in a selection pool and he could apply for the alternative role. His managers role has gone as has his managers. Also the operative who works for my OH post has gone and OH was told if he considered himself a 'working' supervisor he would be classed as operational and there are no directly employed operational posts in the new structure .....

On 19.4.11 letter was sent by ER stating above and at risk stating notice of redundancy would come into effect on 13.5.11 (I assume they consider the announcement on 31.3.11 kickstarted the 30 day notice) Letter arrived on 20.4.11 and stated first 1-2-1 meeting is intended this week. No 1-2-1 has been arranged..............

OH told his manager that he considered the requirement for both elements in new Job was 'ageist' as he is a time served apprentice which only delivered one discipline when he trained and it is only in the last 10 years that qualifications have been available with both areas which they require for new post - he also complained that nobody had informed him of the business change until 18.4.11 i.e. he hadnt been notified................

On 20.4.11 ER contacted OH and asked him to have a discussion about his situation. ER then stated that upon reflection they had reviewed his skills and appraisals and found he met two thirds of the requirements for the alternative role and would he consider accepting the new post - with the stipulation that he obtains qualification in the other aspect of the role within a defined time (No details of the role were given, they cannot provide a Job Decscription for new role, or any details) They stated it was unreasonable to expect him to answer then and there but want an answer on Tuesday 26.4.11 am.............. They also told him this would mean that his post was no longer at risk!!...............

General info - ER has apparently not completed a HR1....... There are at least 70 ppl (one email says 100+) affected by redundancy but they are all at sits across the country and ER refuses to consider collective consultation as no area has more than 20 ppl affected - even though they are all linked by the DIVISION........... ER is adamant that even though some ppl who are at risk were not informed on 31.3.11 of potential redundancies they will commence dismissals on 13.5.11......................

Advice urgently needed.................. If he declines the role is he intentionally making himself redundant?If he accepts the new role - will this mean that he can leave within the 4 week trial and still retain redundancy status if he thinks it unsuitable. OH is concerned as he is dyslexic and although his manager was aware of this and has made allowances over the last 10 years to accomodate this - no one else is aware. OH is certain that new role is going to be office based and will be more intensive admin wise! but cannot say for sure because ER wont give details of new role!Help please - this is causing serious anxiety.

Edited by skaatiii

Can I suggest that you space your OP out into clear paragraphs?

When many people (me) see a huge block of text they don't bother, as it's very tiring to read.

Many of us drink quite heavily you see.

If we were normal we'd be out in the Easter sunshine, visiting a Victorian folly or a Roman fort.

LOL :D Well their employer must allocate them breaks in their schedule - maybe they could put their feet up with a cuppa and read my post and reflect on what my OH should do now :) I'd be very grateful and may even leave them some biccies ...