Discharged in England 13 years ago, Can I go bankrupt in Scotland?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4777 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife and I were discharged from bankruptcy in England 13 years.

Since then we have moved to Scotland, and once again, we have got ourselves in financial difficulty.

I have visited a number of websites dealing with debt, and bankruptcy seems the only viable option. There are 6 creditors with a total amount of £15000 between ourselves.

As we were discharged bankrupt in England 13 years ago, can we become bankrupt in Scotland?

Yes. There is a five year rule here, not sure what is in England.

There are 3 ways in

1. Having an expired charge for payment or stat demand

2. Qualifying under the low income low asset route

3. A certificate of bankruptcy

Do you have wages, assets worth £1000 or more?

B

Thanks B.

I have no assets work over £1000. My net monthly salary is just over £1000., after paying all the essential bills (Rent, CT, Travel to work, Elec., Gas etc.) I have very little disposable income.

Will this mean I can qualify for low income, low asset rule?

Don't think so. Your gross wages have to be 40hrs times min wage or less so £1027.86 pm.

You would need a money adviser to do a certificate of bankruptcy for you.

If you have some disposable income you could think about a DAS? Debt arrangement scheme payment plan http://www.moneyscotland.gov.uk or a trust deed?

B

You might have to make a contribution to a bankruptcy anyway.

Are you sure? Read info on money Scotland and national debtline (Scotland) as it's easy to make a decision you will regret.

I think you should see a money adviser - cab or council - to discuss your options.

You would need 2 trust deeds. If you could tell me more I could give you more info?

B

Thanks for the quick reply.

My wife has debts of £6000 and myself £9000.

Together we have less than £100 of disposable income every month. We are council tenants and have no car, my wife is a full time mum.

A payment plan would be too long then. If you get working tax credit you would be eligible for a LILA if you dont have assets worth £1000 or a total of £10,000.

Otherwise you could do a certificate of bankruptcy. Find your local money adviser on money Scotland web site and make an appt. They will sort you out. Cost is £100

each for bankruptcy and a possible small contribution but they will

check your level of expenditure.

You could go onto cccs or payplan and do your own income expenditure

You and your wife don't have to take the same option but with so little disposable income between you it probably would be best.

You can do it yourself - aib.gov.uk will give you info but I think it's better to discuss with a money adviser. If you can make a contribution you can pick an IP to deal with it but please don't pick one from the yellow pages. There's lots of pitfalls you need to be aware of.

B

Thanks once again Bluedogx, :-D

I have looked at the AIB website and we will be both eligible for a LILA .

The application pack is vaguely similar to the English one, the guidance notes are a great help.

I will let you guys now how we get on.

My wifes will be submitted 1st.

Thanks again guys!!!:-D:-D:-D

• 1 month later...

Wow ! That was quick! AIB received my wife's application on the Friday and was subquently sequestrated one week later.

My wife is now feeling a lot better as the escalating debt problems was affecting her health and well being.

My application will be sent next week.

I can't believe how effecient the whole process is.

Thanks again for all your help. :-)