Help!!! Will i have to repay training costs??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4831 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am in the process of looking for a new job, however I am worried that when I leave, my employer will try to make me repay the training costs they have paid during my employment.I have been there just over a year, and they repaid me my training costs which I had paid prior to starting my employment with them, however it related to a course that i was still doing; this course was directly relevant to my job role. They have since paid further training costs for me, totalling over £700 inclusive of the costs which they reimbursed me. I have checked my contract, and the only element of my contract which relates to paying back any money is the below:

Any outstanding debts to the company at the date of termination will be deducted from final monies due.

Could anyone please advise me on where I stand with this, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks

Could anyone please advise me on where I stand with this, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Miss 20820,

Welcome to CAG.

I'm afraid if the contract is properly drafted and already seen, understood and signed by you then you may well have to pay back the training money and they may be able to take it direct from your wages, so you couldn't even stop it!: see for example. http://www.netlawman.co.uk/info/unlawful-deductions-wages.php

Ultimately it seems like you knew that you knew that you would have to pay back this training money if you left early. You have at least received some training - in whatever it was.

I think it would be a little unfair if you now thought you had no obligation to pay back what you knew you would have to pay back?

Che

NB - I mention properly drafted above as you could have an argument that the term of the contract was a bit vague - but this still isn't going to stop them taking it first and then you having to try and claim it back.

Can you negotiate 50% ....?

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

I didn't sign any training document, only the contract which contains the clause shown below... I'm worried that they may take it as this happened in my last job(it was stated in the contract in my previous job). There was no mention of having to pay it back when they offered to pay, nor did I sign anything in relation to training Although my title isn't officially 'trainee', I am a trainee, and this course assists me in my current learning and progress with the company. I just wanted a little advice before they try to reclaim it, so I at least have something to go back with.

Any further help would be highly appreciated, many thanks all.

An employer cannot claim back training costs unless they have a signed agreement to that effect. Knowing that (i.e. being told this verbally, if you were) is not acceptable. However, your problem may well be that they take it anyway and leave you having to make a claim for it. You should also be very careful before disputing it - ask to see the signed agreement, because it is amazing what people forget they have signed.