Barclays Finance ***WON*** Charges being refunded

SAINTDP
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4255 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All :-):-)

I hope you can help me.

I am in a bit of financial bother at the min and am looking to try and pay off all my debts. I have got some money to pay off some debts and today I have been calculating what I should pay.

Anyway, I bought a Sofa from SCS back in Feb 08 that is being finance by Barclays. I have been paying £27 per month since on 0% and today phoned for a statement to see how much was outstanding.

I was shocked to find that a balance of £558 was still to be paid. I asked what this was for as my 3 years payment was nearly finished and they have told me its to do with charges ref to returned DD's and Letter being sent out!! Me and my partner have been struggling in the past couple of years as she has been made redundant twice and have recently had a baby.

I asked if they could wave some of the charges as I am looking to pay off the balance in full but the most they could offer was £45.

Were do I stand with possibly getting these charges refunded?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi SaintDP,

Can you confirm the exact Barclays product used to finance the purchase.

Don't accept their offer to refund £45, or any other amount, at this stage.

It sounds like a Fixed Sum Loan, in which case, any Penalty Charges added to the a/c for late payments, missed pay'ts or returned DD's can be reclaimed in full. You can also claim compound interest on the penalty charges if any interest has been charged.

You need details (amount and date) of every charge added to the a/c and, if you don't have statements showing this, you must get them by sending an SAR to the bank or finance Company.

This template letter should do but adapt it to reflect your individual case as necessary - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?552-Data-Protection

8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

As far as I know its a Fixed sum loan as you said.

I requested a statement when I spoke to them, not sure if it will show all the charges but will wait and see what they send. If it doesnt Ill sent the letter you said.

Hi Saint,

I'd give them 7 days from when they said they'd send out a/c statements.

If no response by then, use the SAR.

8-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Yep, send off the SAR to get your statements.

No point in wasting any more time waiting for them.

8)

• 4 weeks later...

Barclays have 40 days to respond to a SAR, so there's still a while to go.

8-)

• 3 weeks later...

If the cheque has been cashed, I'd give them a few extra days.

If it hasn't, send them a reminder letter enclosing a copy of the original.

8-)

Update. The cheque cleared on Wed (Typical) so I though cool will get my statements in a couple of days.

This Saturday I get a letter saying unfortunatly we can not action your request as NO cheque was enclosed!!! WTF!!!

I am now thinking of getting a copy of the banked cheque from my bank to send to them, any other suggestions?? Or is this just delay tactics?

No, it's not delaying tactics...............just a bit rubbish with their admin !!

Maybe the cheque and the letter were separated, hence the delay in the cheque being cashed.

Write confirming your cheque was cashed by them on xxdate and you want your SAR response asap.

8-)

• 3 months later...

UPDATE: I have let this matter get away from me, so i decided to send a letter on the 5th July giving them 14 days to provided the information I requested in the SAR letter.

The deadline for this is tommorrow. What is the next step as I am still yet to recieve anything??

Adapt and send this - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?593-Data-Protection-Act-Non-Compliance-Template-Letters

It's in the Library along with many other useful letters and links.

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Either ignore Mercers as they're pretty harmless, or send them a brief letter saying Barclays are in default of your SAR request so the a/c is in clear dispute and they must cease all collection activity.

:-)

• 4 weeks later...

Just a brief suggestion as I don't want to hijack SaintDP's thread..........

Don't let the bank dictate the timescale by which they'll respond.

Four weeks is way too long so, if they haven't responded to your complaint or request within 14 days, follow up with your next step.

:roll: