Trailer MOT???????

crc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4846 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can you be a bit more specific about what sort of trailer it is eg it's going to be a very different answer if it is one of those little trailers that you hook behind your car to take you rubbish to the tip, as opposed to one of those git big 40 foot long things that Asda use to refill their shops!

To my knowledge there is no requirement to have such a trailer undergo any official type testing. Neither is there any specific servicing to be done to it. As a responsible driver though, I am sure you would want to ensure it is a safe condition.

In terms of things to check on it, there will be very little. You have to ensure the lighting is correctly working everytime you use it anyway, and beyond that I would think it just comes down to being able to to check the hooking system is safe and the wheels are roadworthy. There are (generally) no brakes on such a trailer so nothing to go wrong there.

What makes you feel that it may require something like an MOT?

Am I right in thinking that a trailer needs a service?

It doesn't need a service, in the same way that a car doesn't need a service. However in both instances it is recommended to have regular servicing. You may be able to do some or all of the parts of the service as a trailer is much simpler to maintain than a car. A typical service would include the following:

• Check wheel bearings, re-grease and adjust
  • Check brake shoes for wear and remove dust.
  • Check brake linkage settings, adjust and lubricate
  • Check coupling fixings, operation and grease head & shaft
  • Check wheel nuts, tyre pressures and condition
  • Check lighting
  • Visual inspection of chassis and components

It does not need an MOT or similar, but must be in a roadworthy condition.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

there are rules for using it tho, supposed to have linked brakes to your car, but we know that when you stop that will stop. and the lights need to be working on the back with your number plate.

I dont know if its law but when I was using the trailer police stopped me and said that it needs break lights so people know your stopping and a reg will be helpfull.

A typical service would include the following:

• Check wheel bearings, re-grease and adjust
  • Check brake shoes for wear and remove dust.
  • Check brake linkage settings, adjust and lubricate
  • Check coupling fixings, operation and grease head & shaft
  • Check wheel nuts, tyre pressures and condition
  • Check lighting
  • Visual inspection of chassis and components

What brakes? Unless it is a very big trailer, it won't have any.

Lighting and wheels should be checked on every use, not just as part of a "service"

What brakes? Unless it is a very big trailer, it won't have any.

QUOTE]

There are specific regulations with regards to ALL trailers not neccessarily dependant on size. It's the gross weight that matters. Any trailer where the gross weight is or will exceed 750Kg must have overun brakes fitted to both wheels. If the gross weight is or over 1500 Kg then it must have 2 axles as well with all wheels braked.

Heliosuk is correct, but you can get twin axle trailers without brakes. Their weight must be under 1500KG. God only knows who would find a use for such a vehicle though. If your trailer is one of these things that have independent suspension units on each wheel, then be careful not to overload it---these are generally the ones lying by the roadside with the wheel off. When i bought mine, i made sure it had a full beam axle, which i consider much safer. I only wished that i could have afforded the model that had brakes fitted though, as stopping with a heavy load makes the bum cheeks twitch. If building a trailer yourself, i suggest that you check on latest brake requirements as the old caravan type over run brakes are no longer in use. Reflectors and rear triangles should be checked before each use.

Hope this helps.

Not sure on new regs. Heliosuk, as my trailer was bought before they came in.

To convert my trailer to "Braked" would require new hubs & all the braking system plus a new 50mm tow hitch. I rather think that the cost of this would be prohibitive, and to take advantage, weight wise, would probably require it ti be re plated by a government agency. Probably better to buy a braked trailer at the end of the day.

There again, the PO may just have a "Towable Wheelbarrow" in mind, such as halfrauds and supermarkets sell.