HELP am I going to be evicted because of my cat!!!

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3609 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, myself and my partner have just moved into a new flat and have been told by the landlady on the day we got the keys that there is a new rule regarding pets from the management company that tennants are not allowed to keep any pets but owners who live in the block are! We have been totally honest with our landlady about having a cat, and have told her from the very first viewing we had a cat, and she told us that this wouldn't be an issue as the previous tennants had two cats. We are now worried that we might have to move again, my partner is 6 and a half months pregnant and we moved now before the baby came or she became much bigger to minimise her stress levels and we'd be settled for when the baby comes. Where do we stand??? Many thanks for any help/advice given. The management company have emailed our landlady today asking for confirmation that there are no pets in the flat.

It states in the tennancy agreement that we need written confirmation that we can have a pet in the flat, and we have a few emails between us and the landlady mentioning the cat.

And have you actually been notified in writing by the management company that as a tenant you aren't allowed to keep a pet (however if you were an owner you would be allowed)?

If so can you post the precise wording of the letter

If not, perhaps the best thing to do would be to not worry about it till you receive that letter as it would be the owner's responsibility not yours

As yet we have had nothing in writing from the management company, all we know is what we have been told by our landlady that it was in the minutes of one of the management company's meetings. So if or when we get a letter will post exactly what it says. But thank you for your help so far.

Sounds very fishy to me surely if they have introduced a new rule or are clamping down on an old rule then your landlady would have something in writing to show you. It's very possible she has changed her mind about the cats perhaps something has happened or someone has said something to her to make her change her mind.

If you know the name of the Management Company then you could get in touch and ask them for a list of rules that they expect tenants and/or owners to live by in the building.