Unacknowledged debt

expedidor
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4984 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thirteen months ago I left my local authority flat, rent and council tax fully paid, and moved to a new county.

I now have a commercial debt collector asking for £252.81 supposedly owed to my former council landlord.

I first sent the "I am familiar with the CUPTR....etc." letter asking for proof of the debt. Their reply was a standard letter stating that they were proceeding for the amount of £252.81 unless otherwise instructed by their client.

I have replied that they still have not provided me with proof of the debt and they have further stated that they will not do so.

Should I contact the council, who have so far never sent me any request for money, despite having my new address, email and mobile number; even mail sent to my old address would have been forwarded for the first six months?

It would indeed be a good move to contact the previous council to see if there is on outstanding balance from your previous address. If there is ask how they came about this figure and why they have never contacted you about it.

Who is the debt collector?

If they have refused to provide you with any proof of the debt, then I would report them to The OFT and Trading Standards. If they refuse to send proof, how do you know there is any debt.

Make no payment or offer of payment until the debt is substanciated.

Do not enter in to any conversation on the phone with the collector, keep everything in writing so you have documentary proof of what both parties have said.