Tripped and fell at work....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4860 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The riddor system is used for death and seriouse accidents that require hospital treatment

erica is for minor

its used as accident reporting and future risk assesment

again your direct manager needs to report it within 48 hours max

its a legal requirement and is for your protection

WE USE THE ERICA REPORTING FOR THINGS SUCH AS MINOR DOG BITES ETC

ime a health and safety officer for my office

• Haha 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The riddor system is used for death and seriouse accidents that require hospital treatment

erica is for minor

its used as accident reporting and future risk assesment

again your direct manager needs to report it within 48 hours max

its a legal requirement and is for your protection

WE USE THE ERICA REPORTING FOR THINGS SUCH AS MINOR DOG BITES ETC

ime a health and safety officer for my office

I've just looked at the accident form and it says nothing about Erica on there but does mention RIDDOR. Is it my responsibiity (as well) to get this form back to HR asap? Should I be concerned about that?

I'm not sure my direct line manager knew anything about the accident until yesterday when I sent her a text to say I wouldn't be in. She didn't seem bothered about it and was more concerned that my work was covered.... bl**dy charming, eh?

Pass the buck it seems

demand it be recorded

its for your protection

it should all be done online now as the hse has direct access to it

you need to be speaking to your qualified first aider or fire rep

your company are breaking the law by not taking this serious

Priority One, I don't claim to be an expert on HSE rules, but Sidewinder is pretty good. Hopefully he will comment later.

I just had a look on the HSE website about Erica and couldn't find a lot, it could be me. There is a rule under RIDDOR though that covers 3 day absences, which might include you at this point. You might want to have a read or possibly ring the helpline they have. Another cagger on the forum did, and I believe they were helpful. You have nothing to lose, after all. The number's on the HSE website.

As I understand it, RIDDOR is your employer's responsiblity and non-negotiable once the incident comes under the rules. Have a read of the HSE [Health and Safety Executive] if you can, or ask us more. I hope you feel better soon. I also have arthritis problems and it's no fun.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Pass the buck it seems

demand it be recorded

its for your protection

it should all be done online now as the hse has direct access to it

you need to be speaking to your qualified first aider or fire rep

your company are breaking the law by not taking this serious

Oh crikey!! I have the form here.... I could send my daughter to drop it off today, if necessary.... should I??!!

If you use the riddor form the hse will not be impressed and throw it straight back

do you have a health and safety officer at work

We must have one somewhere.... but I have no idea who it is.... This is the only form I've been given! Do I need to ask for a different one? It will be investigated when I go back because one of the questions on the sicky form is if it's work-related ot not...

I just had a look on the HSE website about Erica and couldn't find a lot, it could be me. There is a rule under RIDDOR though that covers 3 day absences, which might include you at this point. You might want to have a read or possibly ring the helpline they have. Another cagger on the forum did, and I believe they were helpful. You have nothing to lose, after all. The number's on the HSE website.

As I understand it, RIDDOR is your employer's responsiblity and non-negotiable once the incident comes under the rules. Have a read of the HSE [Health and Safety Executive] if you can, or ask us more. I hope you feel better soon. I also have arthritis problems and it's no fun.

My best, HB

Thank you... :-) I haven't been off for 3 days yet but if it offers me more protection by doing so, then I'll do it and ring the HSE. My knees are stiff and painful because of this and I'm not in any hurry to go back to work like this...

P1 I don't think RIDDOR has any relevance to a PI claim. One is buraucracy and the other a civil matter regarding negligence. The HSE always have the option to prosecute so employers need to tell them of incidents. Focus on what you need to do re DWP.

Ok... should my employer have given me a different form then? If so, then they should have done this re. the first accident in January as well, I s'pose.

The hse has to have access to both the erica and riddor systems

erica is for minor conditions and accident reporting under the safe systems at works act

riddor is for serious accidents for which the hse will allways get involved

your employer has a legal obligation to report the accident under the correct system

if they refuse, contact the hse for addvice

if i have any questions for clarification, they are more than happy to oblige

Ok... I've copied the accident report HR gave me here at home (forgot I had a copy facility on my printer.... duh!).... and sent my daughter to drop it off at work for me.

The rest is up to them.... although when I do go back and complete the sicky form, they won't be able to ignore it. My company normally follow procedure with things, so I can't think that they would ignore this anyway, to be honest. If it happened to a member of the public or a child, they might have been in deep doo-doo.

I've just had a reply to my text.... and the H&S person is the same person I spoke to in HR. The accident form is the ONLY form I've filled in and she didn't give it to me. I had to get it myself from a First Aider.

So... I'll email her and ask if there's another form I should have filled in on H&S grounds.... and if so, to leave it in reception and my daughter can pick it up for me tomorrow. Is there anything else I should be asking/saying at this point?

Well.... it's been delivered.... and it's been read. I have a receipt for both. That was half an hour ago and no response as yet. Unusual for her; she normally replies to things immediately and my request wasn't complicated.... did I need to complete a H&S form as well as an accident form? and if so, to let me know and I'd get someone to drive down and pick one up.

I don't think this has been logged at all....

:|

Still no reply....

I'm starting to wonder if I've opened a can of worms here.... I don't think she can answer me actually. If she says "Yes, pick up a form"... then it confirms that 24 hours have passed since the incident and it wasn't logged. If she says "No, it doesn't need to be logged", the company could/would be in trouble with HSE for ignoring it.

Are there any other scenarios here?

Oh yes.... the "pop up to my office for a chat" option..... where nothing gets put in writing and people hope the situation will vanish. That won't solve it either though; not by my reckoning anyway.

Surely she won't try and suggest that it doesn't fall under H&S..... would she??!! :|

Thinking out loud here....

Things can be logged retrospectively. I doubt they would get in trouble. My wife's employer never logged anything and nothing happened to our knowledge. Just wait thing will happen.

Still no reply this morning.... what shall I do? This is my 2nd day off work and tomorrow will be 3. I hope to go in before the end of the week though.... Should I email again and query the non-reply? Leave it for when I go back?

What do people think?

Have decided not to chase it up with HR.... but will fill in the sicky form when I go back. I have it on record that I've emailed and it's been read, so I assume I've covered myself here. I will also ring the HSE when I go back and have a chat with them.... and complete the DWP forms for both accidents and send them off.

Think that sounds sensible and covers everything.... unless anyone has any other suggestions.... :-)

Hi there. I think a chat with the HSE is a good thing. Their helpline was good with another cagger, I may have mentioned. They can also make unannounced visits depending on how bad the problem is.

I hope you feel better soon and I hope going back to work goes well.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum