Brand new car in for service and now has damage admitted by garage - what are my rights?

torio
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4975 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

Need a little advice as to what my rights are on this!! So, let me start at the beginning. Happy little ol' me gets new car home, waits a month and then takes into the garage about 6 weeks later for its 1000 mile/1 month service. Now to begin with, it arrived with a scratch which they had admitted was done when fitting a panel and agreed to repair. This was only small and in a fairly unobvious place so I was fine with the small paint touch up required to fix it.

Here comes the worst part. While there, parked in the lot post service, some lovely inconsiderate idiot opened their door into my car (or so I have been informed) leaving the usual trademark door dent. Now, normally with my little old car I would have been happy with the paint repair job and all would have been well. However, this is a 6 week old vehicle that went in with immaculate paintwork, not a scratch (bar the small one at time of fitting) and not a dent. So, my concern is that there will still be a visible blemish either to the frame or the paintwork. In fairness is my other gripe that is that this was my first brand new car all specially made for me waited for months and now it has been spoilt, but on this I dont think I have a stand point.

Apologies for the ramble but thought it would be best to explain in full. What are my rights here? I haven't seen the car yet but I just want to go in prepared. Am I entitled still to a full refund as the car will no longer be 'as new'?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!!

On a cynical note, why is it that my local garage my old car used to go to never did anything and now both cars I have taken to a dealership have been returned with damage (the last was on my old car which made it easier to accept though equally as tiresome!)!!!!

A frustrated car owner who is in desparate need of some advice!!!!

Hi and welcome to CAG. This should be straight forward.

If the car was in the 'care' of the dealers then it is their responsibility as it will be covered under their motor trade insurance policy so ask them to rectify it to it's pre-damaged condition as soon as possible. They may like to claim the cost of the repair from the 'idiot' who caused it. If it is going to take a while, I would ask them for a courtesy car.

As for your point about the car not being 'as new', well it lost that status the minute you drove it off the forecourt so all you can ask for is for them to put it right.

The garage have admitted liability, so the hard work is done. Now you want the repair done to brand new standard. DO NOT accept any quotes like 'It will blend in' or 'it will fade in soon'. It should come back with no overspray, no obvious signs it was ever damaged and a 100% perfect paint match in every detail. Don't just get it and drive off. Check it VERY carefully indeed. If you can see a blemish then reject the repair. It is YOUR car, THEY damaged it and you want it fixed correctly.

Stamp your feet a bit and it will get done. You also want a courtesy car of equivelent or better level for the duration of the repairs.

• 4 weeks later...

RE: my local garage my old car used to go to never did anything and now both cars I have taken to a dealership have been returned with damage.

Who is the Dealership please?

All very well, we'll fix this, fix that and put your car back to the very condition it was in when you TRUSTED US WITH YOUR SERVICE, in the first place but please, it's just not cricket

Isn't there a soul out there capable of doing a job and getting it right first time? I expect you also paid DEALERSHIP SERVICE prices?

Don't give them your business again, they don't deserve it and give others the heads up too, to save them the hassle. Support your local garage with his 100% record and his local garage prices. All this foot stamping is merely wearing our 'soles' / 'souls' away.

And your warranty will remain valid so long as genuine parts are used for the service. The Dealerships are not interested in your merely buying a brand new car. They want you to buy the insurance, the service plans, the blah, blah, blah which when you do so and TRUST them they mess up. Their cost YOUR TIME AND INCONVENIENCE

• 2 weeks later...