• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

viv16 v lloyds - FULL SETTLEMENT OFFERED

viv16
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6450 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was told about this site by a friend and like most people Ive passed it onto was a bit doubtfull. I had a business account with Lloyds from 2000, ceased trading in 2004 after my husband passed away. I like many others Im sure felt that the bank could have been more helpfull during the bad times and in fact have made the bad times 10 times worse. When we were £2000 over our overdraft limit the bank rang and offered us a loan of £12,000, £7,500 to pay off the overdraft and the rest to pay off an existing loan. We agreed as we didnt have much choice at the time. What we didnt know was that once the loan came through our overdraft facility was then cancelled, what a mess that left us in! Having looked at the unlawful charges taken from the account, approx £5000, if they hadnt already taken £3,500 when the loan was offered we wouldnt have needed the loan because we would have been within our overdraft limit.

This fight is a personal issue because when the bank was putting the squeeze on us our doctor was telling us we both needed more rest and a holiday. We never had that holiday.

I know my husband is looking down saying 'go get um girl' so for that reasons i wont stop until Ive won. This is a brilliant site, well done for all your hard work and good luck everyone!

Lloyds TSB

29th June - 1st request letter (sent recorded delivery)

30th June - Reply received from Richard Hoare - senior business manager at my branch

(re received letter, passed to customer service team)

07th July - reply from Musarat Siddique (re not upholding complaint, financial ombudsman )

17th July - LBA and schedule of charges (sent recorded delivery)

24th July - Letter received from customer service manager - (this is our final response)

31st July - moneyclaim filed

1st Aug - Claim Issued

14th Aug - Offer of full settlement with conditions

16th Aug - Letter sent accepting offer but NO CONDITIONS

30th Aug - Defence filed

1st Sept - Second offer received but confidentiality condition still included

2nd Sept - Notice of transfer and AQ received

4th Sept - Email sent accepting offer but reporting MJ to law society for confidentiality clause

8th Sept - Email received FULL SETTLEMENT ON ITS WAY UNDER MY TERMS!

Good Luck. I am already at the stage of them wanting to settle though no further communication has been had from them. Just remember to divide up your claim to keep it under £5,000.

DJ Tazzz

The information I provide in replies on this site are drawn from this site and a few other external sources. I acknowledge all parties the information maybe drawn from and offer my advice and assistance freely without guarantee and risk of liability.

Thanks DJ it shouldnt be long for you now. Im a bit unsure about calculating the 8% interest when I file my claim, is it 8% pa on every charge from the day it was taken to the day of the claim? Any tips on how to work it all out, I dont want to make any mistakes.

Viv16,

There is a spreadsheet on the site template page that should help work out the interest etc for you. You just have to amend it to reflect your charges... There are some notes on it there too. The banks solicitors have just sent a letter asking about how I calculated the charges so the intend to settle from the looks of things.

DJ Tazzz

The information I provide in replies on this site are drawn from this site and a few other external sources. I acknowledge all parties the information maybe drawn from and offer my advice and assistance freely without guarantee and risk of liability.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks DJ, 8% interest now calculated. A couple more questions though.

Trying to file moneyclaim today, my claim is for £4995 plus 8% interest of £1176.53 = £6171.53 does this mean my court fee is £120 or £250? what information do I put in the particulars of the claim, there is obviously not enough space to write the hard copy version.

Thanks for your help getting a bit nervous now.

• 2 weeks later...

viv16,

firstly, apologies in the late response but unfortunately, I left to go on holiday and have battled to get the internet up and running until now.. Dial-Up is also very very slow where I am so you can imagine..

Well, I would say that the answers to your questions are all sourced in the FAQ’s, I am not able to find my particulars of claim as I am not on my pc. The fees in your case would be 120 GBP upfront upon filing the claim and then it will be 100 GBP when the fill out your questionnaire when the bank files their defence. There should be a couple of threads on this site that should give you a short text on what to write in the online version of the particulars of claim, you should be able to do a search.

I am in the process of gather some meat on Capital One now so might get a few extra pounds back eventually.

DJ Tazzz

• 3 weeks later...

I received a full settlement offer dated 14th August with terms and conditions:-

I replied on 16th August (recorded delivery) stating that I would accept their offer on the following conditions:-

1. Repayment would be made in the form of a cheque

2. The cheque would be made payable to myself

3. The cheque would be sent to me at the above address

4. Payment would be made within the next 7 days

I have had no response from Martineau Johnson regarding this letter.

Yesterday I received a letter from my business bank manager closing my account.

Today I received a letter from Martineau Johnson enclosing their clients defence.

Part 7 of their defence states:-

'It is denied that the Unfair Contract Terms Act or the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations apply to business customers who are not contracting a consumers, as required by the act and the regulations'

In my claim I stated:-

'Further, as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under the Unfair Contracts Terms Act 1977. In the event that the charges are not a penalty then they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15'

I really thought Id been carefull in my wording and followed the mods advice regarding claims for business customers. Have I made a big mistake here. Please advise. Also does anyone think I should write to Martineau Johnson asking why they have not replied to my agreement to settle letter, as this could give me another opportunity to mention their letter headed without prejudice confidential and privileged, which hopfully will then come to the attention of the judge when I file my AQ including all relevant documents.

Please please reply, I dont seen to hear from anyone when I ask a question, I appreciate there are a lot of questions to be dealt with but this is getting to the knitty gritty now and I cant afford any more cock ups.

thanks viv16

"'It is denied that the Unfair Contract Terms Act or the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations apply to business customers who are not contracting a consumers, as required by the act and the regulations'"

I am not a lawyer, but the bank's lawyers seem to think the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 applies only to contracts with consumers.

Justice Christopher Clarke thinks differently; see his comments in a case between two businesses, Balmoral v Borealis

Judge picks holes in supplier's exclusion clause | OUT-LAW.COM

'UCTA

'If a clause in a contract is deemed by a court to be unreasonable, its effect can be annulled by the Unfair Contract Terms Act of 1977, better known as UCTA. Had the decision on fitness for purpose been decided in Balmoral's favour, Justice Clarke indicated that he would have applied UCTA to prevent Borealis from relying upon clauses that limited its liability to an exchange or refund for breach of conditions ordinarily implied under the Sale of Goods Act of 1979.

'The limitation of liability clause in the Borealis conditions stated: "Borealis does not assume any responsibility for Products being suitable for any particular purpose unless Borealis in writing has approved such suitability." It went on to limit liability "for whatever reason" to an exchange or refund.'

Similarly, see the case in the Court of Appeal where the UCTA was applied in a case between two businesses.

http://www.ashurst.com/doc.aspx?id_Content=991#search=%22%22unfair%20contracts%20terms%20act%201977%22%20%2B%20judgement%22

Tim

Hi Mooreda,

I excepted their offer but requested a cheque. The bank only informed me of their intent to close the account after I asked for a cheque. They also included a confidentiality condition which I could not accept. They did not state how long they would take to repay the money and as many people have agreed, withdrawn court action and still not received a penny I was not about to fall into that trap.

I followed the advice of this site in as much as I should not have to agree to any conditions to receive money that is mine in the first place.

I agree that the action you suggest is the easiest route but we have to stand firm otherwise those who follow us will have a tough time convincing the banks that they mean business.

if you read through my thread ( link in my signature ) there are some letters in there that you can use for each stage you are at if that helps ? .They do try and delay in paying out once settlement is reached but there is a letter in my thread to deter that in some way by warning them that ' you are prepared to accept the date of settlement as the date the money is paid into your account and the interest will continue at a daily rate until then '

You are right as in you shouldn't accept conditions and they have no right to try and impose them , you are entitled to both your court isssue fee's and the daily interest do not let them try and bully you this is your claim and you stay in charge of it .

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

I've done it folks! I've won! UNCONDITIONALLY! Didnt even have to return my AQ - I'VE WON! They dropped the confidentiality -I'VE WON! £6,421.53 I'VE WON! Didn't even have a court date - I'VE WON!

IF YOU USE THIS SITE AND ALL ITS LETTERS, IF YOU PUSH AND PUSH THEN PUSH A BIT MORE - YOU WIN! STICK WITH IT ALL YOU WHO HAVE JUST STARTED, READ THE POSTS AND GET INSPIRED! THEY BULLIED ME AND TOOK ME FOR A FOOL BUT WHAT THEY DIDNT REALISE WAS WHEN THEY TOOK ON ME THEY TOOK ON THE MIGHT OF THE MOTLEY FOOL AND THEY DONT COME BETTER THAN THAT!

In case anyone hasnt realised by now I'VE WON!!!!!!!

IF ANYONE WANTS ANY INFO ON MY JOURNEY ESPECIALLY THAT LOVELY PARAGRAPH ABOUT 'CONFIDENTIALITY' WHICH PROVED I MEANT BUSINESS THEN LET ME KNOW - I'LL HAPPILY TELL THE WORLD - I'VE WON!

AND THERE'S A VERY SPECIAL GUY DANCING IN THE HEAVENS TONIGHT XX

Christ that was quick, i filed on the 6th June and am still waiting for a bloody court date.

WELL DONE !!!!!!!!!!!

Data Protection Act Request sent 22nd April 2006 (recorded delivery) to Penny Berryman 40 days up on 1st June 2006.

Statements recieved 5th May 2006

Claiming back = £3913.65

Preliminary Letter Sent 5th May (recorded delivery) to Customer Care, Birmingham. Told me to sod off on the 9th May

Letter Before Action Sent 9th May (recorded delivery) to Customer Care, Birmingham. Told me to sod off on the 12th May

Moneyclaim filed issued 6th June (14 days to reply) Time up on 20th June.

Acknowledged 15th June (28 days to defence)

Time up on 13th July.

Defence Recieved 7th July

Going Before the Judge 15th September

Court Date 5th December

Great News VIV16,

It seems they have taken you a lot more seriously than me. They have requested a 1 month Stay to try and settle. They sent me a letter asking for an explanation of my figure of which I sent them and I have not herd anything from them since. My court date is this week sometime and the trick is I am out in South Africa sorting other stuff out and will have to send someone in my place...

DJ Tazzz

Excellent news!!! Well done - it's another motivation to all of us still caught in the middle of the process. :-)

Maybe the reason this case was quicker was coz it was a business account? Whereas most of us on here are claiming for a personal account. :idea:

Lloyds TSB - 10/06/06 Data Protection Act letter sent | 10/07/06 Account history received | 18/08/06 Preliminary Letter sent | 28/08/06 Standard 1st reply received | 04/09/06 LBA sent | 08/09/06 LBA reply received (final response - a firm 'no') | 18/09/06 MoneyClaim form submitted | 21/10/06 Allocation Questionaire received | 03/11/06 Allocation Questionaire returned | 24/01/07 Court Date set for early March | 16/02/07Sent court bundle to solicitors and court | 20/02/07 **WON** Claim settled in full!

Big congrats viv :)

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Well Done Viv16. I have just received my first letter from Ms Musarat Siddique,in which she says that they(lloyds tsb) do not agree with OFT and are still 'talking it through with them' and that the refusal they have made represents the banks 'Final response'. They also deny that the OFT guidelines only concern Default Charges not the fees they charge for going over overdraft limits etc. So it looks as though I will have to get tuff.

I've done it folks! I've won! UNCONDITIONALLY! Didnt even have to return my AQ - I'VE WON! They dropped the
I'VE WON! £6,421.53 I'VE WON! Didn't even have a court date - I'VE WON!

IF YOU USE THIS SITE AND ALL ITS LETTERS, IF YOU PUSH AND PUSH THEN PUSH A BIT MORE - YOU WIN! STICK WITH IT ALL YOU WHO HAVE JUST STARTED, READ THE POSTS AND GET INSPIRED! THEY BULLIED ME AND TOOK ME FOR A FOOL BUT WHAT THEY DIDNT REALISE WAS WHEN THEY TOOK ON ME THEY TOOK ON THE MIGHT OF THE
MOTLEY FOOL
AND THEY DONT COME BETTER THAN THAT!

In case anyone hasnt realised by now I'VE WON!!!!!!!

IF ANYONE WANTS ANY INFO ON MY JOURNEY ESPECIALLY THAT LOVELY PARAGRAPH ABOUT
WHICH PROVED I MEANT BUSINESS THEN LET ME KNOW - I'LL HAPPILY TELL THE WORLD - I'VE WON!

AND THERE'S A VERY SPECIAL GUY DANCING IN THE HEAVENS TONIGHT XX

Glad you won, well done.... I have just filledin my Allocation Questionnaire, any tips, to speed them up into settling quicker?
:)

Lloyds TSB Progess

first letter sent 10th June

Received reply 20th June

Second letter sent 30th June

Revieved final response 7th July

Filled in claim on line 30/07/06

Recieved Acknowledgment of service 4th August

Defence submitted 6th September

Allocation Questionnaire due back 20th Sept

Sent my Allocation Questionnaire back 10th Sept

Got there copy of Allication Questionaire 23rd Sept

Court date set for 25th Jan '07

Paragon Finance Progress

Sent first letter 24th August 2006

No reply so second letter sent 10th Sept 2006

Received letter back saying they are going to investigate my claim

Offer made by Paragon for full ammount plus interst! Rusult!!!

Cheque recieved *Won*

Any thing I write on this site is only an oppinion as I am not a solicitor or legal whizz!

Hi Jadest,

Have you had an offer of settlement yet. If you have keep replying to their letters accepting their offer or part settlement but refusing to accept their conditions. Make it plain that all letters you send them in an attempt to reach a settlement will be forwarded to the court. Im sure they realise that the court will soon get fed up with their delaying tactics clogging up the court system, and if the courts take action against them doing this then the flood gates will open and they've had it. We know they've had it but they keep fighting, we just have to fight harder.

good luck xx

Dappa44

If you've waited that long I'd phone the court and see whats going on. Have you had an offer letter? Have you received your AQ seems strange you havent heard anything by now.

good luck x

they have not yet replied to any of my letters, since I got the final response, and took court action the only thing I got was a copy of there defence from court. The Allocation Questionnaire has to be in for 20th Sept. I have filled mine in and sent a copy to there solicitors (special delivery) hopefully will hear from them soon.

Lloyds TSB Progess

first letter sent 10th June

Received reply 20th June

Second letter sent 30th June

Revieved final response 7th July

Filled in claim on line 30/07/06

Recieved Acknowledgment of service 4th August

Defence submitted 6th September

Allocation Questionnaire due back 20th Sept

Sent my Allocation Questionnaire back 10th Sept

Got there copy of Allication Questionaire 23rd Sept

Court date set for 25th Jan '07

Paragon Finance Progress

Sent first letter 24th August 2006

No reply so second letter sent 10th Sept 2006

Received letter back saying they are going to investigate my claim

Offer made by Paragon for full ammount plus interst! Rusult!!!

Cheque recieved *Won*

Any thing I write on this site is only an oppinion as I am not a solicitor or legal whizz!

Dear Viv,

Brings a tear to my eye... Wonderful! Well done and thank you for the information (inc in the other thread)

C

29 March 2006 Data Protection Act Request sent for ac 1 (then she got a bit distracted but got another charge so...)

27 May Prelim letter sent for ac 1

27 May Data Protection Act Request sent for ac 2 & 3

21 June Prelim Letter sent for 2 & 3

14 July LBA sent with schedule for ac 1 & 2 & 3

7 August MCO filed – defence expected 10 September

11 September defence filed - signed Sean Copping

12 September AQ form received

18th September AQ sent back to Lambeth Court and copy sent to solicitors both recorded delivery

13th Feb 2007 Court Date Set

15th Feb Reclaimed Money is in my bank Account

Cat's opinions are those of a nurse and most definitely, definitely not those of an accountant or solicitor, although she was always quite good at sums and elocution.