JSA/Benefits - How do I prove that I have NOT been claiming them???

HF whO?
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently dealing with a couple of tax returns which I had overlooked:oops: and there are periods where I have been unemployed, not working and NOT receiving benefits.

My accountant has asked me to supply proof that I have not been claiming JSA/Benefits for these periods but I am unsure how I would do this:confused:

The tax man has estimated a Tax Bill for me which is hugely over exaggerated but I have been told that despite being able to prove differently, IF I do not acquire all of the requested information within 3-4 weeks then I WILL be liable for the amount anyway:eek: :shock: :shock:

Am I likely to receive any joy by writing to a particular department? If so could somebody please advise where best to direct my correspondence.

Thank You in advance:)

Contact your local jobcentre explaining the situation and ask that if you make an appointment to come in with identification, would they or your benefit delivery centre be able to write a letter confirming that you have not been receiving benefits for the period in question.

I know that they will write a letter confirming when a person has been receiving benefit, but I don't know if they'd write it confirming that they haven't been. Failing that all you can do is a subject access request which can take 40 days. You have 21 - 28.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Contact your local jobcentre explaining the situation and ask that if you make an appointment to come in with identification, would they or your benefit delivery centre be able to write a letter confirming that you have not been receiving benefits for the period in question.

I know that they will write a letter confirming when a person has been receiving benefit, but I don't know if they'd write it confirming that they haven't been. Failing that all you can do is a subject access request which can take 40 days. You have 21 - 28.

[bolding mine]

If I was processing the benefit concerned, I'd have been wary of writing such a letter, but I'd probably have done it if CIS (Customer Information System) showed no claim for the relevant period. I'd have phrased it as "We have no record of a claim to benefit for the given period in respect of Mr HF wHO."

I'd be wary because CIS isn't particularly reliable in my experience. If more certainty is needed, I think an SAR would be the way to go. I'd also guess that many benefit processors might reject such a request (for the letter, that is; benefit processors aren't allowed to reject SARs)- it may be necessary to go higher up the chain of command to get something done about this.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.