• Tweets

• that was a good saving on an £8k debt dx
    • Find out how the UK general elections works, how to register to vote, and what to do on voting day.View the full article
    • "We suffer more in imagination than in reality" - really pleased this all happened. Settled by TO, full amount save as to costs and without interest claimed. I consider this a success but feel free to move this thread to wherever it's appropriate. I say it's a success because when I started this journey I was in a position of looking to pay interest on all these accounts, allowing them to default stopped that and so even though I am paying the full amount, it is without a doubt reduced from my position 3 years ago and I feel knowing this outcome was possible, happy to gotten this far, defended myself in person and left with a loan with terms I could only dream of, written into law as interest free! I will make better decisions in the future on other accounts, knowing key stages of this whole process. We had the opportunity to speak in court, Judge (feels like just before a ruling) was clear in such that he 'had all the relevant paperwork to make a judgement'. He wasn't pleased I hadn't settled before Court.. but then stated due to WS and verbal arguments on why I haven't settled, from my WS conclusion as follows: "11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. "  He offered to stand down the case to give us chance to settle and that that was for my benefit specifically - their Sols didn't want to, he asked me whether I wanted to proceed to judgement or be given the opportunity to settle. Naturally, I snapped his hand off and we entered negotiations (took about 45 minutes). He added I should get legal advice for matters such as these. They were unwilling to agree to a TO unless it was full amount claimed, plus costs, plus interest. Which I rejected as I felt that was unfair in light of the circumstances and the judges comments, I then countered with full amount minus all costs and interest over 84 months. They accepted that. I believe the Judge wouldn't have been happy if they didn't accept a payment plan for the full amount, at this late stage. The judge was very impressed by my articulate defence and WS (Thanks CAG!) he respected that I was wiling to engage with the process but commented only I  can know whether this debt is mine, but stated that Civil cases were based on balance of probabilities, not without shadow of a doubt, and all he needs to determine is whether the account existed. Verbal arguments aside; he has enough evidence in paperwork for that. He clarified that a copy of a DN and NOA is sufficient proof based on balance of probabilities that they were served. I still disagree, but hey, I'm just me.. It's definitely not strict proof as basically I have to prove the negative (I didn't receive them/they were not served), which is impossible. Overall, a great result I think! BT  
    • Seeking further advice now. The 33 days in which the defendant has to submit a defence expires at 16:00 tomorrow. The defendant has submitted an acknowledgement of service but looking to get the claim awarded by default in failure to submit the defence. This is MoneyClaim Online and can see an option to request a default judgement but believe that is for failure to acknowledge the claim within 14 days??  So being MoneyClaim Online, how do I request the claim be awarded in my favour?
    • Have to agree with the above Health and safety legislation is specific in that the service provider in so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his employees and those not in the employ of the business. You claim is like saying you slipped in the swimming pool area while taking a dip. As rightly stated by by the leisure centre, a sports hall has dedicated equipment and you yourself personally have a legal obligation in mitigating danger or injury to yourself by taking account of your immediate surroundings. Where your claim will fail is if it is reasonable and proportionate to impose liability of the Leisure Centre? The answer has to be no.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Invalid Default Notice

Shafters
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4921 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am being taken to court for an alledged debt for MBNA.

The Debt was sold to a DCA and the solicitor acting on behalf of the DCA has sent a copy of a default notice which I beleive to be Invalid

Firstly the default notice states I have until a certail time to respond yet the transfer of the debt took place a week earlier. Also the minimum payment I have to make is incorrect.

Is this Invalid??

Please help

Shafters

Can you please upload the letters - DN, Notice of Assignment etc. so we can have a look. Don't forget to hide all personal details first.

For starters please look right through Pinky69's thread on Invalid DN's and other DN threads to get up to speed on things. It will take a few hours - but is well worth it.

BD

Sounds like it could be, are you able to scan it and attach it here for us to see?

Ensure you obscure any personal details but leave the dates on as they are the important bits.

If they have terminated (which they have if the debt has been sold) and the DN is faulty then that is unlawful rescission and you have to write to MBNA accepting this and also advise the DCA that you have done so.

At this point you should only be liable for the true arrears, without any charges.

What have you done up to this point, have you a copy of your agreement, how old is it?

Which DCA are you dealing with?

Lots of question, sorry but necessary. You will need to read the MBNA threads on here and it will give you an insight.

I am worried about the Solicitors reading this and then changing things before any trial.

I have the original assignment (FROM THE DCA and on DCA headed paper) instructing me that the debt was assigned on the 30th April 2008.

I did not receive a default notice from the original creditor but a copy from the DCA's solicitor.

It reads

In order to comply with this breach we much receive a payment of £xxxx by 6th May 2009, your current balance is also £xxxx

The payment of £xxxx is also incorrect and was not the minimum payment required when the account was sold.

It's difficult to give advice, blind so to speak!

If you look at other threads you will see lots of us scan and upload our letters and you usually find someone will come along and had had exactly the same and makes you realise you are not alone in your battle.

The OC should have sent out a DN and then a NOA so you probably have good grounds if they take you to court.

When you state you are being taken to court. Have you actually received a summons or are you just assuming this from their POSSIBLY idle threats?

Shafters

WE can't help without all the info.

1. The DCA CAN'T issue the NOA - only the OC can.

2. If you have originals then no one can change them - any ploy to do so will be fraud.

3. You need to trust us. The OC and DCA will already have everything you're showing us anyway.

4. Have a look at what we've managed to do for ourselves (and others) and let us help you too.

BD

Edited by Bigdebtor
typos

Thanks Guys,

I have been on this site for quite a while,

I am being taken to court

Submitted AQ (info ganed on here)

Submitted defence (again on info gained on here here)

Submitted standard disclosure

Had a good look round for docs recently as had to attend a pre-trial hearing and this info has only just come to light after closely examing the docs the other party submitted in preparation for the hearing.

I am with BD on this Shafters,

If you have been on here a while (yet only 15 posts) you will know that the idea of CAG is to share experiences with others and to help each other along with similar problems.

If you have got as far as you have without assistance from us, why ask questions now about a DN that may be invalid, when you clearly have access to that answer on the invalid default notices thread of Pinkys?

Sorry if I sound harsh, just that if you want questions answered, then you should be willing to put the information on here IMO.

BTW I am a softie really!! :D

Does it matter which DCA it is, are they not all the same?

I'll scan my copy of the CCA and post it up.

Of course it matters! Others can share their experiences of that particular DCA but if you are unwilling to say, then you may not get the correct/any help.