Residential Parking

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5132 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I parked in Morley in Leeds just up from a charity shop while I dropped some stuff off. I did see a sign saying residential parking but there was no bays and there was no signage advising of any penalty or fine charge. Was literally a blue sign with a P and said Residential Parking.

I was in for 15 mins chatting and came out to the ticket. I have been up and down the respective street and there is no signage at all advising of any penalty.

Do i have to bite the bullet or is there anything I can do. There are no markings on the road at all.

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

Signs don't warn of penalties (on the road - they often do in car parks) they iindicate restrictions which are in place by a TRO (or should be..).Pictures of the PCN and the location would help.

If there were no bays then the chances are the restriction is not enforceable. The only time that they can enforce a restriction without bay markings is when it's located on a heritage site (ie. a old cobbled road that they don't want to ruin by painting lines on).

If there were no bays then the chances are the restriction is not enforceable. The only time that they can enforce a restriction without bay markings is when it's located on a heritage site (ie. a old cobbled road that they don't want to ruin by painting lines on).

That is not actually correct any area can have signs situated at the entrance stating its permit only parking providing the signage is approved.

That is not actually correct any area can have signs situated at the entrance stating its permit only parking providing the signage is approved.

Entrance to what? A CPZ? That doesn't apply councils that are not decriminalised.

Obviously they can use custom signs if they've got special authorisation. How often is that the case honestly?

Im going back on Tuesday as I live in Sheffield. I will take photos of the surrounding area, signs etc and post.

Thanks for your help

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

Entrance to what? A CPZ? That doesn't apply councils that are not decriminalised.

Obviously they can use custom signs if they've got special authorisation. How often is that the case honestly?

It applies to any area that is suitable, such as a cul de sac or areas around sports stadiums. CPZs have nothing to do with decriminalised parking by the way any area can use a CPZ decrim or not. The 'permit holders only beyond' sign is actually common enough that it is due to be included in the next revision of the TSRGD.

So its outwith the current TSRGD - does it have Secretary of State approval for this zone ?

Until the OP comes back we don't know what the sign was or if markings are needed, I was merely correcting the incorrect information provided about only heritage areas not needing bays.

The 'permit holders only beyond' sign is actually common enough that it is due to be included in the next revision of the TSRGD.

So currently special authorisation is required for the sites that you described. I'm sure no human being knows every single restriction in the country that has special authorisation.

The information was correct for your average punter, unless I should begin all of my posts with the disclaimer "this does not apply if the council have special authorisation" to avoid being "corrected"?

So currently special authorisation is required for the sites that you described. I'm sure no human being knows every single restriction in the country that has special authorisation.

The information was correct for your average punter, unless I should begin all of my posts with the disclaimer "this does not apply if the council have special authorisation" to avoid being "corrected"?

It was not actually correct for the 'average punter' who lives in an area that has the signs approved and stating that they can only be used in a heritage site could lead someone to waste an appeal opportunity by taking incorrect advice.

And is Leeds one of these areas? Or are you just one of these pedantic people who has to pick holes in everything? :)

It is relevent to have the point included in the thread, if not for this particular case then for someone who comes across the thread in a future search.

Councils can be pretty pedantic, so it pays to be thorough when taking them on.

Of course I understand that. But when someone says a sign is not enforceable is it common practice to point out that they the information is incorrect given the possibility of a special case that requires authorisation for non-standard signs or road markings?

It's also worth pointing out that councils can get this wrong and simply put up non-compliant signs without authorisation so it is ALWAYS worth requesting evidence of the special authorisation if something is non-compliant.

There are many special cases so perhaps a disclaimer is required for all posts, something along the lines of "this information does not apply to special cases that the council have special authorisation for".

Edited by whistler114