Rent deposit, leaving & damages etc

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5102 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya... me & my wife are looking to rent a larger house in preparation for a new arrival (woohoo!)

the problem is, we're a bit short of money (aren't we all?) and are a bit worried our current landlord could demand some money for repairs to the flat when we leave

there's stuff that goes beyond the normal wear & tear... i.e puppy-chewed holes in the carpet (it was brand new when we moved in), furniture and skirting boards - ouch

My wife seems to think our landlord is entitled to keep the deposit we paid (equivalent of 1 months rent) to cover damages, but I would assume he can ask us to pay the necessary fee to cover all damage (would probably be a lot more than the deposit amount)

what can he do? what can WE do? I don't mind paying extra for the damage in THEORY, provided I don't have to pay it in practice :D

to make matters worse, the landlord is a relative of mine... and we do not have a rent agreement other than verbal...