• Tweets

• Hello, Firstly, and most importantly I am sorry for your loss. I would go back to the bank with the death certificate and ask them to step in. Remind them firmly but politely that there is no limit for DD claims
    • My wife is the named person to his bank account with him having Dementia being his daughter (I say named person she still is but he recently passed away and the deputyship application has now being stopped by the solicitor as it's no longer needed) We've only just got the Death Certificate so the bank will be the next step informing them. She went to the bank and explained the situation but even being his named person the bank said she didn't have the power to stop DD without any legal documents (virgin money) was the bank. She could have copies of bank statements that was about it.
    • I see you said you tried to stop the DD but it seems that didn't work. May I please ask why that didn't work? You should be asking your bank to cancel the DD and I don't see why they would have objected, hopefully you can clarify this. I agree that you should be making a claim here against your bank and ask them for a DD refund. There is no timeframes for this.
    • Thanks DX,   I wasn't aware we could do that for that length of time. I'll ask my wife to check with the bank this week
    • Yeah That's correct. We left rent payment coming out of his bank account from January 2023 - August 2023 until we could find somewhere to sort out his belongings which was fine. I tried to give notice a few times from August 2023 asking for advice from Sanctuary housing how we went about this explaining his condition and that he was in a Nursing home from December 2022. I explained we don't have any legal powers to his account like POT but were in the process of going for Deputyship and that I was the named person to act on his behalf to speak with Santuary housing. I said we could provide details of his condition and proof he was now in a nursing home with date he moved in. This went ignored despite repeated attempts to contact them until a housing manager contacted us end of February 2024 and notice was finally accepted with his tenancy coming to an end March 22 2024. Although they have continued to take rental payments for the flat despite someone else living in it from the 1st April. I wasn't aware payments were still being taken till I checked his May banks statements. I had asked them to back date rental payments to August 2023 when I gave notice rather than just giving notice in March 2024 but they've ignored that bit. I don't see why they shouldn't give it back they've taken money they shouldn't have.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Walder vs Halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6572 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

Great forum and great advice!

Have sent off my recorded letter to the Halifax today requesting statements etc using the standard DPA letter to the Trinity Road address.

Reckon I am owed approx £1500+ over the last 6 years.

Will keep you updated as to my progress!

I would appreciate it if someone could advise me. I have read the FAQ and scanned the forums but cannot find what I need. I need to write a letter to Halifax refusing there paltry offer of £264.00! Could someone point me in the right direction of how I can refuse the offer and inform them I am pressing ahead with court action if they do not pay the full amount? Thanks!

Did you send your £10 - if not send another letter NOW with the £10 in it. I wrote on the 3rd March and have heard nothing - I authorised them to debit my account, but they haven't. The general concensus of advice is that they use the non-enclosure of the £10 to stall proceedings, so don't give them the chance!

Halifax - DPA sent 03/03/06.

Prelim Letter - Sent 27/03/06 ignored.

LBA sent 10/04/06 - Ignored

Moneyclaim filed - 26.04.06

Acknowledgement received 3rd May. Halifax state they intend to defend.

Halifax Settled in Full - 17 May 2006

If you've found this post helpful, I would be grateful if you could click on the 'Scales of Justice' button in the top right corner of this post.

Hi Guys!

Sent the DPA letter and requested statements etc. I have received a reply back today which asks for 5 pounds for the statements which I will send today and also says

'The majority of transactions on your account are automated and all application of charges is automated. The only manual internvention around charges would be when a refund is made.'

Surely this means they are admitting that the charges should not have been made?

Any advice, is this good news?

Thanks!

Hi Guys!

Sent the DPA letter and requested statements etc. I have received a reply back today which asks for 5 pounds for the statements which I will send today and also says

'The majority of transactions on your account are automated and all application of charges is automated. The only manual internvention around charges would be when a refund is made.'

Surely this means they are admitting that the charges should not have been made?

It's good news in that they cannot now defend the level of the charge is so high because it requires manual intervention has been necessary which is one the lines banks have been using recently.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

Hi Guys!

Thanks!

Can we have a scan of this letter please to [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

Getting fed up now. Sent the £5 in cash on the day I received their demand, sent by recorded delivery and with a letter. This was on the 31st March. No reply and no statements so I also emailed them chasing this up last week, got no reply. Phoned up today and spoke to a lady in the call centre, she looked up my case and could see the letters and said they had closed the case!! They had not logged the £5 or sent the statements. I have a tracking receipt and the letter and money was signed for.

Explained everything again and she put a follow up note on the account listing the above with my phone number and said hopefully they will do something now.

What else can I do? Why is this so hard? I paid the money, sent it by recorded delivery and still no statements. Can they get away with not sending them? Can I just estimate the charges (overflated) if they don't reply?

Advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Patience. They will send them, especially if you have now paid the £5. It did not take me long, but can understand your frustration.

Keep going, its well worth it!!

Halifax - Since 2003 £1,186 DPA Request: 24.03.06

PRL - sent Recorded 05.04.06

Letter received 07.04.06 - Thanks but No thanks

LBA - 20.04.06 Refused Money Claim filed 08.05.06

Served 14.05 Acknowledged 16.05.06 - 28 days to go

:D WON - PAID IN FULL 25.05.06

Lloyds [/i]- Since 2000 £780.31 - DPA Request: 23.03.06

PRL - sent recorded 10.04.2006

Letter Rec'd 13.04 - Not interested

LBA - 13.04.06 Money Claim filed 25.04.06

Served 01.05.06 & Acknowledged 03.05.06. - 28 days to go

Defence received 25.05 - Here we go

Go into the bank and ask for them to be printed there and then.. Give them a fiver for the time.

It seems to me that the aggresive DPA letter is slowing down the process. I just phoned and asked for copys of the statements and received them with no hassle presumably becuase I didn't make the DPA request.

Good luck though and dont give up.

Blod

Ok, good news is that they have sent the info by special delivery no less! The problem is I now have about 150 sheets of invester account reports rather than statements and as they are for 3 accounts it is very confusing. Can anyone advise me how to make sense of them or point me in the right direction?

Also interesting to note that the date they were printed was the 9th of April so I do have to wonder why it has taken them 10 days to post!

Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, it's been over 14 days since I sent the letter demanding payment, I sent it recorded delivery and it was received but no reply of any kind. I was expecting some kind of reply even if it was just a standard response. Do I now start proceedings? Or should I wait a while longer? Do they usually reply within the 14 days? Thanks for any advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, well after hearing nothing and phoning Halifax last week and being spoken to like a child by the customer relations officer I have news! I received a letter today offering me £264 in full and final settlement, obviously I am not going to accept as I am claiming £1900 but it is a start!

Although frustrating and very drawn out I finally feel I am getting somewhere! Thanks for all the advice.

I would appreciate it if someone could advise me. I have read the FAQ and scanned the forums but cannot find what I need. I need to write a letter to Halifax refusing there paltry offer of £264.00! Could someone point me in the right direction of how I can refuse the offer and inform them I am pressing ahead with court action if they do not pay the full amount? Thanks!

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6572 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks