taking over workmate's responsibilites after she left the company

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5121 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys!

Hope everyone's feeling great today.

I have a little problem and I was hoping you could help me. Last June my colleague, working in the same division, went on maternity leave. The company did not employ anyone temporarily to help me while she was on the leave. I was more or less happy to do her job fro nothing as I was expecting her to come back to the company at the end of her break.

Unfortunately, she just decided to leave. When I spoke to the management I was told they would not employ anyone to replace her. They say I can give one of my less busy responsibilities to one of my other colleagues, working in a different division, to help me -which is no good as it still leaves me working for 2 as this less busy responsibility has always been assigned to me from the very beginning.

I want to speak to them and say that if they are not going to employ another person then either 1) one of my colleagues will have to take over all of her responsibilities as I'm no longer happy to work for 2 on the same terms, or 2) I will need more money. I know they will be trying not to give me any money and not give all of her responsibilities to someone else.

What can I do as I believe I'm getting used by the company and I'm fed up with it to be honest?

Thank you guys. Hope I made sense.

It has been about 10 months since you took that colleague's responsibilities and never complained about the workload...

You could instigate a meeting with your line manager and let him/her know that you absorbed her responsibilities on the reasonable understanding that she would come back upon her maternity leave terminated. As she is not coming back you expect the company to envisage spreading the workload attached to her position throughout the workforce...

If unsuccessful, you could raise a grievance as per the workload and possibly by comparing the job descriptions...

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Hi Bigredbus!

Thanks for your reply. They knew I was not happy not to get any help at all. But my colleague's maternity leave came as the company made 5 other members of staff redundant due to the recession so I thought I'd bear the huge workload and prove to them I CAN work my a* off for a while, which I did. But you're right - they'll now try to use my not complaining against me. I really don't want to go the grievance route but I'd have to take it if I'm expected to continue donig her role as well.

Thanks for this again!