Scotcall Debt Collecting Services

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4631 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I am having problems with a company called CompuTeach Int. Ltd. I'll give you a basic run down of the story, if you need more information please let me know, Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated because this has been going on far too long and they just don't seem to get what I am trying to tell them.

Okay so basically this is the story.

In 2006 I was working at a local store at the age of 20. I saw an advert for CompuTeach on the TV and called them up, the arranged for a sales advisor to call around to talk to me and sign me up for a course with them.

He came around and I eventually signed up for Webmaster Professional course. A few days later I received the material for a course but it wasn't the right course so I called the sales advisor up and he basically told me he was busy and he would call me back and then hung up on me. I waited a day and still no call back so I rang him back and told him the material I received in the post was wrong and he said he would sort it out for me.

A week or so had passed and I heard nothing from him and at the point I called Computeach themselves and they advised me that because I had signed up for this course I would have to do it and pay for it, but It was the wrong course altogether and I wasn't willing to pay £6515.60 for a course that I didn't ask for so after debating this with them on the phone I asked them to cancel the course and refund the first direct debit payment back to me. They said I wouldn't get a refund of the first payment of the deposit I gave the advisor and that I wouldn't be able to cancel the course because the 14 day cancellation period had ran out.

A few weeks later I called the advisor and his phone was off, I got in touch with Computeach and they told me he had left the company.

After this I constantly got letters from a company called Marehill Finance, which I believe is Computeachs loan company.

Basically the get the loan for the customer from Marehill Finance and the customer pays the finance company back.

I have called Marehill Finance and told them the problem and they were understanding about it, but still constantly sent me letters every week or so. Eventually after a few months of phone calls they told me to get in touch with Computeach and sort it out with them.

I called Computeach up and told them the story (Obviously in a quick, shorter version) and the lady I spoke to told me she would get my file and check al the details and give me a call back in 48 hours, which never happened.

I waited a week and called back, eventually got through to the lady I spoke to previously and she said basically said sorry she was going to call me back today, which I didn't believe. She told me that after checking my details in the file and everything that they wouldn't be able to cancel the course and that I could still do the course but either way I would have to pay off the debt/loan to them.

Now after that discussion I received a letter a few months later (feb 2010) f rom another company called Scotcall Debt Collecting Services.

Can someone please help me with this as I have had enough of them calling up and presistantly annoying my family whiles I am at work.

Kind Regards,

Shaz.

Guest Cartaphilus

Firstly, the best piece of advice is no longer speak to anyone connected with this on the phone. Keep everything in writing, it's for your own protection if you need to produce letters at a later stage eg a paper trail. They will tell you anything on the phone and despite what they say are not there to 'help'.

After this I constantly got letters from a company called Marehill Finance, which I believe is Computeachs loan company.

Correct.

As to Scotcall? You said February. So, that would have been one of their standard generated doorstep/home visit letters? As to the phone calls ... Send this recorded delivery:

Your Street

Town

City

Postcode

DATE HERE

Company Name

Road

Town

City / County

Postcode

Dear Sirs

Harassment by telephone

Account Number: XXXXXXX

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls. (Delete if necessary)

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded. (**Even if you don‘t yet have recording equipment!!**)

Yours faithfully,

[NAME HERE]

This then shows what steps you have done to warn them. I will say they are likely to ignore them but there are other letters you can send, worded more strongly. But send that one for now.

As to the rest of it, I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.

As it was February, and someone from Scotcall is highly unlikely to show up - just another threat tactic used universally by whojamacallitincorporatedbigbadwolfDCA - but for future reference and again to keep as a papertrail send this letter to anyone sending you one of those letters:

Dear xxxx

Account Ref xxxx

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing. I have noted your repeated attempts to contact me by telephone over the past few weeks/months and these have been duly logged by time and date.

Furthermore, should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.).

Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Yours faithfully,

Edited by Cartaphilus

How frustrated you must be feeling. I personally would complain to trading standards, I know this company have had a lot of complaints against them. I would also contact Watchdog.

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

Guest Cartaphilus

There are also several Computeach - and I remember them very well from the numerous reports on Watchdog :) - threads here on CAG I found which may hold useful information.

Thanks for the help guys, i'll send the letter to them shortly by recorded delivery and I have been thinking about contacting Watchdog or trading standards about this company.

To be honest, i've been very busy lately and not had much time to do anything but work, work and more work.

I shall keep you all posted regarding this situation and all your advice has been greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Shaz

• 3 weeks later...

Hey peeps,

Just had ANOTHER letter from Marehill Finance saying they will clear the debt with me if I pay about half of it in full by a certain date in May. It came some time last week, and i'm not really sure what to do about it?

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting, I had a run in with Computeach many years ago. I paid out over £3,500 for a course, but like you the wrong stuff arrived. I went back and forth trying to resolve before realising that i could get an online course that was what i needed at a fraction of the cost and this led to Microsoft Certification just like the Computeach offering. Despite many attempts they never repaid me although they did offer to deliver the right course but by then I had made other arrangements.

tell than that they can offset my prepayment against your alleged debt!

I would ignor them. If they have offered such a large discount then its obvious this would never stand up in court. Companies dont offer such large discounts if they can goto court and force the whole amount out of you.

Continue to ignor these clowns.

Have Computeach delivered what they promised to do? If not then you have justification in witholding payment and making the Finance Company aware of your reasons, but if they have now delivered then you may well need to pay up. If you still want the course that it looks as if you might manage this at half price if you are in a position to accept the half price settlement and still make Computeach deliver the course.

• 1 year later...