My Story... Just filed for bankruptcy at Belfast

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5118 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have done it! After what seems like a long time I have finally filed for bankruptcy at Belfast High Court today.

The whole thing wasn’t too bad, I first went to the solicitor this morning to get the affidavit sworn then I went online and paid the bankruptcy fee, which at the moment is £345 due to go up on the 6th of April to £450, I printed my receipt and went off to Belfast.

Finding the right building wasn’t too bad, I had an idea of where to go, once inside it took a bit of running about to find the right office.

Strange thing was when I found the correct office the woman looked though my paper work and said everything was fine but said that I had to pay for the court fee’s at the front desk. She didn’t stamp or sign anything, I wondered what the point was in going up to the bankruptcy office in the first place, I could of paid as soon as went through the door!

Anyway, went back down to the reception area and handed in my forms and paid the court fee’s which current are £115, don’t know if this is going up.

I was told by the CAB that I need 5 copies of the petition (6.30) and three copies of the statement of affairs (6.31), thing is when I went to file they took all of the petition copies, stamped them and give me one back, but they didn’t need any other copies of the SOA only the original.

Anyway, I now have a date to go back on in a few weeks, I will update you all on how it goes! Hopefully the weather will be better then, it was pouring rain in Belfast today!

Good luck rapterman. I had the same bother trying to find the right office!

You will find the master very pleasant, talking to her was just like chatting to the security person at the front door!

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck rapterman. I had the same bother trying to find the right office!.

Yeah, everything is sign posted but its all in some strange legal language!

Where did you hand in your forms? Was it at the BR office or at the reception near the security area? (Dam metal detectors didn't like me today!):D

Yeah, everything is sign posted but its all in some strange legal language!

Where did you hand in your forms? Was it at the BR office or at the reception near the security area? (Dam metal detectors didn't like me today!):D

I handed mine in at some office upstairs. I didn't have to pay the court fee as I'm unemployed. They just took the 1 copy of each form I had and said they'd ring me with a date. Got the call about 4 days before the hearing!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I was at Belfast High Court today for my bankruptcy hearing, like most people have said before it was very easy.

I went in a bit early so I had to wait around, better to be early than late!

Went through the security at the court and then to the front reception, I asked were room 1.21 was and was told it was Master Kelly’s room and was given directions to get there, of course I ended up taking the scenic route around the court but it wasn’t that hard to find.

I found a bunch of people waiting around and they were called in one at a time, then it was my turn to go in. The office is just that, an office, a normal looking room not some big court room or anything. Master Kelly was very pleasant, she first asked me if I had filed myself, if I owned any property and if I had obtained legal advice before filing.

I told her I had filed myself, had no property and had spoken to the CAB, she then said she had signed the bankruptcy application and all my debts were now cleared, she then give me a piece of paper with my case number on it and told me that if any creditors called to tell them I’m bankrupt and give them the case number.

She told me I will receive a letter from the official receiver and a phone call within the next two weeks.

That was it, I was in the room no longer than about three minutes! Very quick.

I will update the thread after my phone call with the OR.

Thanks to everyone on the forum, especially Socktug, for all of the advice given to me over the last few months. :)

Well, today I just got some paperwork from the OR. Dam they work fast don’t they?

Nothing too complicated, one thing they are asking me for is three months of bank statements. Now I have requested a copy of this months statement from the bank and I can download the other two months, the question is, are download copies accepted?

Cheers!

That is fast! Faster than mine anyway lol.

I'd imagine the downloaded copies should be fine. There will be a number on your paperwork which should be a direct line to the person dealing with your case. Give them a ring and double check if you like. If the person is anything like the bloke dealing with mine, you'll find he is very helpful and decent!

Update:

No call from the OR yet, had a few calls from my creditors and told them of my BR, give them the details of the BR and who the OR is.

I have now got a letter from one of my creditors asking for my "Bankruptcy Paperwork".

What paper work are they referring to exactly?

I thought that the OR would be dealing with these people from now on?

Hiya rapterman, I'd say you are safe to ignore the creditor and just wait it out till the OR does his stuff, it's not like the creditor can take you to court or threaten you anymore! If you really want to, you could ring the insolvency service in Fermanagh House and ask their advice.